Issue with Silicondust tuners (1 Viewer)

vcrpro3

Portal Member
April 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Answers to to your replies;
"It hasn't been necessary for other people to use compatibility mode. I'd be very wary, because I have no idea what other possible negative side-effects compatibility mode could have. Not recommended... at all (!!!)"
Asked and answered many times. In short, there are at least three possible solutions:

* I didn't understand either why it took a reinstall to Win 7 compatability..I tried installing the program several time, once with no special parameters, once as administrator and finally with compatabilty mode mode selected by windows(ly resulted in tuners actually grabbing channels...have i mentioned..I Hate Windows 10..) **MediaPortal worked fine under Windows 8.1. When i tried to run my 8.1 OS which i had on another SSD, the drive turned up being dead(needless to say, i am not very happy with Crucial either as this is the second SSD i have had from then that has failed..)

"Asked and answered many times. In short, there are at least three possible solutions:
  1. Use classic home screen instead of basic home screen. Home screen can be toggled with the green/home button on a remote, or the H key on a keyboard. You can also configure your preferred starting home screen in MP Configuration -> GUI section. All this info is given in the wiki (manual) -->here<--.
  2. Use a keyboard or remote control instead of a mouse.
  3. If you insist on using a mouse, use a different skin that has better mouse support. Plenty of skin options are available.
Please remember to use the forum search function. It will get you to a solution faster, and saves us having to repeat answers (...which honestly gets a bit frustrating at times ;) )." (That's an understatement...)

**Took me a bit to realize that i had to use the keyboard 'enter' to get the selection to work. Going to check out skins that are friendly to mouse usage

"You're looking in the wrong place so it's no wonder you can't find the settings."

*** I was in MediaPortal-Configuration, >TV/Radio,>TV >general- There were two extra settings displayed in the setup guide screenshot, referring to setting the TV client (not displayed in the settings window i opened.(I was following the documentation link from the home page. When i subsequently went back to that page, the screenshot matched the configuration window(a glitch in the link i guess)

"Sorry, I have no idea what you mean."
****>This..

upload_2016-9-10_14-21-5.png

--- Post updated ---
Thanks for all of your assistance! I am slowly muddling my way through the setup and hopefully get everything working correctly...(at least before the next decade :D )
--- Post updated ---
This was the screenshot from the documentaion that was different and confusing from the actual window when i was configuring MediaPortal
upload_2016-9-10_14-50-41.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There were two extra settings displayed in the setup guide screenshot...
    As you can see here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/1_TV_Client

...the screenshot in the official documentation for the corresponding section of MediaPortal Configuration is up-to-date.

If the out-of-date screenshot that you found is from a page in our wiki, please either:
    1. Correct it yourself.
    Anybody is able to update the wiki content. Simply sign into the wiki using your forum user name and password at the top of any wiki page, navigate to the page that needs to be updated, click "edit page" above the title, make your changes, then click "save".

...OR...

2. Provide a link to the page so I can fix it.
    Currently I have no idea where this "setup guide" is that you've been referring to. If you don't tell me specifically which page the problem is on, I haven't got a hope of finding and fixing it.

If the screenshot comes from a setup guide that is not part of our wiki, there's nothing I can do to fix it.

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    This was the screenshot from the documentaion that was different from the actual window when i was configuring MediaPortal
    View attachment 182091
    There were two extra settings displayed in the setup guide screenshot...
    As you can see here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/1_TV_Client

...the screenshot in the official documentation for the corresponding section of MediaPortal Configuration is up-to-date.

If the out-of-date screenshot that you found is from a page in our wiki, please either:
    1. Correct it yourself.
    Anybody is able to update the wiki content. Simply sign into the wiki using your forum user name and password at the top of any wiki page, navigate to the page that needs to be updated, click "edit page" above the title, make your changes, then click "save".

...OR...

2. Provide a link to the page so I can fix it.
    Currently I have no idea where this "setup guide" is that you've been referring to. If you don't tell me specifically which page the problem is on, I haven't got a hope of finding and fixing it.

If the screenshot comes from a setup guide that is not part of our wiki, there's nothing I can do to fix it.

Subsequent visits to the setup guides have resulted in the the correct screenshots shown. BTW; i am attempting all this with MediaPortal 1. My last install wall on a Windows 8.1 machine. After having similar problems with setup, (i was using internal PC TV tuner cards then), i finally had to ask for help from someone logging in remotely to my PC and going over the whole thing with me......I'm going to give it some more effort, but am not far away from giving up on it......

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok, i'm back..and i'm still confused. This seems to be an issue as this site is no longer good (the ftp/url link is no longer valid) i have access to both zap2it and titantv and have seen some references to being able to use them to grab channel info but have not found the specific steps to do so...trying to use WebEPG also has been a total bust. Yes, i do not know what i am doing when it comes to this part of the setup and have been lucky to have gotten this far along....

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      906.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This seems to be an issue as this site is no longer good (the ftp/url link is no longer valid)
    http://mysite.com/TVGuide.xml is an example. It is not and never has been valid.

If you're trying you use zap2xml, you will have to schedule regular updates using a Windows scheduled task or similar. You cannot use the XMLTV plugin remote update functionality with zap2xml.

Yes, i do not know what i am doing when it comes to this part of the setup and have been lucky to have gotten this far along....
    Yeah, I can tell. :(
    My suggestion would be to follow the guide in the wiki for mc2xml + XMLTV:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

zap2xml setup is quite different to mc2xml. However if you can get to the point where you have zap2xml producing a tvguide.xml file, you should be able to follow the rest of the guide.

vcrpro3

Portal Member
    April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    ....Oh well, that second link in the instructions (where it says get the xmltv.dtd) is beyond my comprehension what to do with..If it isn't a simple 'download-install' thing, this geezer is lost.....again thanks for your help. Looks like i'll have to find another solution in turning my PC into a DVR...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh well, that second link in the instructions (where it says get the xmltv.dtd) is beyond my comprehension what to do with..If it isn't a simple 'download-install' thing, this geezer is lost.
    Ummm, it is a "simple 'download-install' thing". :confused:

Looks like i'll have to find another solution in turning my PC into a DVR...
    Sorry to hear that, but if you're not able to follow that setup guide (which is pretty much as basic as it gets with MP) then MP is probably not right for you. It sounds like you need something far more basic. Aside from WMC, I would not be able to recommend any other software that would be basic enough. You might be better to buy a conventional DVR rather than trying to have your PC be the DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom