Kernel Security Check Failure when scanning for channels (1 Viewer)

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
July 22, 2011
Hi Guys,

I need some major help here. I have upgraded to a new Asus H97M-Plus motherboard. I have the same Winfast DVT Dongle Gold USB tuners that have always worked plugged in with the latest dongle drivers.(same drivers used with previous board)

As soon as I hit Scan for channels after a few seconds I get a bluescreen with the Kernel Security Check Failure message.

Its not the memory as I have tested with separate dims and different memory altogether. I have no idea how to fix this one. I am assuming it is a driver issue with the USB tuners and the new motherboard chipset drivers but I don't know what I can do.

Thanks in advance for any advice![DOUBLEPOST=1429263539][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have tried both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. Same thing happens.[DOUBLEPOST=1429263678][/DOUBLEPOST]I have attached the DUMP file if this helps?

Attachments

• 041715-8578-01.zip
    29.8 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Please fill and release your system specs. Such issues are normally related to a combination of hardware issues. So we need to know as much as possible about your system. MB and Tuner alone is not enough to help. We need to know what RAM, CPU, Graphic drives and other hardware is installed in your system...

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. My specs are below.

1 G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL)
    1 Fractal Design Node 605 Desktop Aluminium Case USB3.0 / No PSU (Fits S
    1 Corsair VS450 450W Power Supply
    1 ASUS H97M-PLUS/4 x DDR3/1 x PCI-E 3.0/1 x PCI-E 2.0 x16/2 x PCI/6 x SATA/6 x USB 3.0/DVI-D/D-Su
    1 Intel Core i3 4160 Dual Core LGA 1150 3.6GHz CPU Processor

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The other hardware should not do any harm so I expect the Tuner driver to be the "bad guy". This tuner dongle really is an old one and there are no recent drivers available for it. On manufacturer homepage the most recent ones are five years old... I'm pretty sure they aren't able to handle the new and fast system.

Worth a try before dumping the dongle is to uninstall all tuner related drivers and then try to re- install them in "Vista compatibility mode". I'm not sure this helps but id did not harm to try it.
    Also you can try to use an active (means with own power supply) USB 2.0 Hub for plugging the stick. Probably it needs more power than the mainboard can deliver.

My fears are that nothing of this helps a lot and you need to dump the dongle as it simply is too old for your new system. If you do so, best is to look for an internal PCIe tuner card rather than for another USB device. Most of the times internal cards are working more reliable than USB attached devices. And your case has enough space to mount an internal tuner card....

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    Hi Lehmden ,

Thank you so much for the fast reply and your advice. I feared this may be the case. I will try Vista driver mode first.

Thanks again ☺

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What version of Windows were you using, and what version are you using now?
    Are you 1000% sure you're using the same driver as previously? (I suspect there's probably a built-into-Windows driver which could cause problems...)

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    Hi,

It is 8.1 pro, same as in previous pc. I tried the automatically installed drivers and also manually updated drivers to ones I have always used on old system.

Thanks ☺

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, well personally I don't see why the age of the tuner or its driver should make any difference. All it has to be is USB-2-compatible... which presumably it is, because it worked with the old motherboard. I'm more inclined to suspect a hardware or driver compatibility issue with the USB chipset(s) on the motherboard. If I were you I'd be taking this problem straight to Asus.

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2011
    I think I found the issue. I read on another forum that this guy's pc was crashing due to Intel NUC something and it was making the pc think it is plugged into USB 3 when it's actually plugged into USB 2 port. I have tuner in USB 2 port, went to troubleshoot in devices and printers and it says it's an older device and it is plugged in USB 3 poet and may not work properly. I think I'm onto something here. Not sure how to make it think it is usb2 port.[DOUBLEPOST=1429267770][/DOUBLEPOST]This is what the other guy said....also I attached the error I am getting. It is definitely plugged into a USB 2 port.

I am starting to think this is more a Intel NUC / Windows 8.1 issue.

System crashes using any tv tuner software. And as far as I can see it is because either intel NUC / Windows 8.1 is seeing USB 2 ports as USB 3 ports and it causing the system to crash..

I disabled USB 3 in bios and tried to un-install usb3 driver but this did not help as everytime I go to troubleshoot the device under Devices & printers it tell me it is on a USB 3 port and may have issues.
    USB3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom