Laptops refuse to work with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

Kit Elliott

Portal Member
April 5, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I have TV Server and client running successfully on a master PC. I also have a client running successfully on a remote PC (cable connected). I also have two laptops which, until recently, were working clients over wireless. However, recently both laptops stopped working as clients. I have since upgraded to 1.7.0 (and have tried going back to earlier versiosn) , but the problem continues, even when a laptop is cable connected. The client connects to the server ok and I can see the TV guide etc. However, when I try to select a live TV programme, or play a recorder programme, everything grinds to a halt. After a long pause I get a blank screen and Mediaportal ceases to respond. The only way I can get out of it is to use Task Manager to close the program. Exactly the same thing happens on both laptops - one is a high powered Dell XPS with Nvdia graphics, the other is an elderly Inspiron with Intel graphics.
I have tried disabling Firewalls. I can see the client registered on the server, and I can see data being sent from the server and received on the client, but nothing happens.
If someone would tell me which logs (and where) you need to help with this, I will post them.

Glad of any pointers anyone can give me.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've seen something like that a few times, and what was the problem was the local firewall on the client. No not the firewall on the tv-server but the firewall on the connecting client.

Kit Elliott

Portal Member
    April 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for that 4Fred, but it was the firewall on the client that I tried disabling. Didn't help.[DOUBLEPOST=1398432528][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks Vasilich - apologies, I should, of course, have picked up on that information about logs first.:whistle:

Anyway, have now produced the zip file and it is attached. Hope it helps.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for that 4Fred, but it was the firewall on the client that I tried disabling. Didn't help.
    Well, from your logs it does appear like something is blocking communication between the client and server.

Is 192.168.1.22 = "HTPC"?

Kit Elliott

Portal Member
    April 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Affirmative. I changed the server to it's ip address rather than auto as I saw a comment on an old post implying this might cause a problem (under "streaming"). Have changed it back to auto with no effect.
    I notice that on the remote client that does work (wired pc), under the TV section in configuration, a mac code is shown whereas on the laptop that does not work, there is no mac code shown. This could be because I have to close down MP from task manager - or perhaps it is related to the problem?

Kit Elliott

Portal Member
    April 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok, so VLC successfully connects to the stream on the server. It sets up a second instance and appears on the client with no trouble. Notice that when the client first establishes the stream, it appears on the server, then disappears, then reappears about 5 seconds later. Is this normal?

Have also tried closing down just about everything on the client laptop, including suspending AVG, closing Malwarebytes and stopping the firewall. Makes no difference, Also tried stopping firewall and AVG on the server with no effect. What else could be interfering with communication? Communication is fine up until selecting to view a programme or recording then - nothing except a black screen and locked out of the program. Can't think of anything else to try.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Do you use a wired or wireless connection?
    If wireless try a wired connection...
    Try different codecs?
    If playing a recording, try opening the recorded file in vlc or some other app to make sure it plays.
    If it does, tryplaying it in MePo but opened from a local disk.
    I have no idea if these are any good things to try, but maybe gives you some more things to test...

Kit Elliott

Portal Member
    April 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks 4Fred, I have tried both wired and wireless connections - no difference. Codecs, well laptop is set up with LAV Video and Audio Decoders, as is the desktop PC in my office - which works fine as a client (my htpc is in the living room on a wired connection and it's address is 192.168.1.22, as shown in the logs I believe). Have tried a couple of others, but no difference.
    On the server, I can see both the video buffer recording and the stream itself running - I can connect to the stream using VLC, which then shows two streams on the server.
    If I copy the recorded ts file to the client laptop, I can play it as a video in MePo. Likewise, if I add the record folder on the server to the client laptop as a video source, it plays fine in MePo.
    All looks like a server problem to me, however, as I say, it serves the desktop PC perfectly, just not either of the laptops.
    I have once more completely removed MePo and all Team Mediaportal folders, then reinstalled 1.7.1 again, but still no change.
    I am at a complete loss. I am afraid I do not have enough know-how to interpret the logs. Can see various failures happening there, but they don't mean anything to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1398879332][/DOUBLEPOST]Should add I am using AVG free version on the server pc. I have tried disabling it and Windows Firewall with no impact. Might try removing it completely and see if it has any impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom