Live TV and Protected Content (1 Viewer)

bohannonleo71

August 27, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I have searched everywhere and am unclear to the answer of this question.

I have an InfiniTV 4 USB Tuner, TIme Warner Cable Card and Time Warner Cable Dallas 75204 and I have the TWC Cisco Tuning adapter.

Can I watch HBO or any other paid subscription channel through MediaPortal? Some places say yes and some places leads me to believe no?!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

I'll get straight to the point...

Can I watch HBO or any other paid subscription channel through MediaPortal?
    You can view/record some encrypted subscription channels through MediaPortal.
    Specifically:
    • "copy freely" channels/programs are okay
    • "copy once" channels/programs won't work
    For more info, refer to:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

Some places say yes and some places leads me to believe no?!
    Well that's probably because the answer is not simple.
    Copy protection varies between cable providers, and also even between market/location (or even headend!) for the same provider.

My understanding is that almost all cable providers configure "premium" channels such as HBO and ShowTime as "copy once" and "local" channels as "copy freely". It's the other subscription channels that tend to vary. Unfortunately for you, Time Warner is notorious for configuring all their channels except "locals" as "copy once". Currently Windows Media Center is the only PC software that I'm aware of that can enable you to view/record such content... and you're limited as to what devices/software you can use to view the recordings.

The only way to know for sure is for you to try (... and I emphasize you, because it varies between markets and head-ends and described above).

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom