Live TV streaming (1 Viewer)

nicx

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi cheezy,

as far as I know you want to integrate the live tv streaming feature until the start of the soccer wm. Is this still on your timeline? ;)

Thanks!
nicx...

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ah nicx, some would say you were desparate ;)

Here is a progress update.

I had to break off development of Live TV to work on another personal project, but I have been back on it for a couple of weeks now.

I recently found across this website which is provides smooth streaming extensions for IIS, Apache, Lighttpd, Nginx and have been in touch with the developer to investigate its use and am happy to report:

• The GOOD news is that this extension makes integrating Live TV a WHOLE lot easier.
  • The GREAT news is that this can generate a single adaptive bitrate stream which can be played on the iPhone as well as with Silverlight or Flash players. Adaptive bitrate means that the quality of the video/audio can be adjusted depending on the network connection you have, so higher bitrates when you're on wifi and lower if you're on 3G or Edge.
  • The FANTASTIC news is that this can be used to also stream any video file so Moving Pictures, My Videos, TV Recordings etc.
  • The BAD news is I haven't seen a way to use this for Android phones, I haven't found if Android even support any sort of live streaming.

I have a hand-crafted working prototype at the moment (using part of gemx's/valk's MPWebServices codebase) which I'm trying to make more robust. The idea being that the only difference end users will see is a 'Stream' link which will launch a stream of the selected channel.

I'd still love to get this released for the beginning of the world cup but that will be a push, my spare time has drastically reduced due to a new job, but I will do my best and use this thread to post an update in a week's time.

nicx

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ah nicx, some would say you were desparate ;)

hey i kept my feets still for weeks now, but i cannot do it any longer ;)

great news so far, and the bad point doesn't matter (for me), i have an iphone :p

if you need any beta testers my feet are ready to run :)

thanks!
nicx...

moesfeld

Portal Pro
September 27, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: Live TV streaming

• The BAD news is I haven't seen a way to use this for Android phones, I haven't found if Android even support any sort of live streaming.

Well on the the newer Android handsets (2.2 and up) Adobe Flash support has been improved and Smooth Streaming is working on an Implementation of that.

It really sucks that Android doesn´t support HTTP streaming. I think of getting an Ipod touch just for IPimp.

:D for all the work you are putting into this

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Wow, great news!!!

Regarding Android I wouldn't worry too much: With all the buzz http streaming is getting atm I'm sure it wont be long until it works on Android as well.

:D

Lolento

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Cheezey,

Can you release an alpha or beta build for us who are willing to test and provide feedback?
    I think it will help with your progress.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Well what I have at the moment isn't even an Alpha, more like a wing and a prayer. :) I'll keep you posted though.

htpcMe

Portal Member
    March 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well this WebOS user would be happy to try this out too. Of couse, if all else fails, I'll just take my wife's iPhone ;-)

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Update as promised......

....I have a very sore head from banging it against a brick wall. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have been attempting to take the streaming bits from MPWebServices, convert them to VB and compile with iPiMP. I have now nearly given up on this as it's too difficult for me.

So, plan B, this will likely mean installing MPWebServices is a requirement. This is what the prototype did so it should work, it'll jut make the install and support a bit trickier.

Further update soon......:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread