LogoManager 1.0.0.3 [27-11-2022] (1 Viewer)

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Did a Danish test - @hkjensen did a great job here :)

Although the solution is not seamless yet, it's a big improvement to the previous set up.

Some input on how we can improve usability:

Why all the options? A majority of users either do not understand them, or even want to bother with selecting them - they just want logos to work.
    • Test 1: Only pressed Grab(Didn't change any option) - Result: It failed with 0 grabbed Logos
    • Test 2: Selected Danish+All - Result: Works flawlessly
      • Solution: Why not just try Auto-Grab by Country+All channels + Have a popup with a Auto-grab question if it is the first Logomanager run?
        • If Country do not have Country package= Display Options+Info message regarding trying to choose alternative package(Global?)
    When grabbing is finished, pressing exit/esc = Rebuild Skin Cache Question? Some users might not understand that question
    • I basically think this should be removed - Users grab logos because they actually need them - And they do not want to restart MePo.
      • Why would anyone choose No to this?!?
    • Solution: Always rebuild Skin cache - How long can it take? Grabbing took me 10 secs. for ~50 channel - Rebuilding Cache took 10 secs.
      • 99 % of users only do this once!
      • Either do it in the background or show a "Please wait" dialog boks while rebuilding
    I still hope that we at some point see a final solution, that just grabs directly "Out of the box" - Without a single question or option to choose for the end user........not even a MPEI installer!

It my general believe that we have more users preferring this approach, than users which really wants to tweak and manually configure their logo settings.

@Edalex & @Vasilich + others - Thanks for all your hard work - You have really done some great work here - Keep it going :)

/Morten

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    You don't have satellite TV, right? I.e if we allow to grab logos for default group which will be "All Channels" LogoManager will grab logos all day long for them. So generally it is very hard to predict what group will user want to select.
    Regarding skin cache, I agree with you. Let it rebuilt it by default. The better way is to exclude logos from cache at last.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    You don't have satellite TV, right? I.e if we allow to grab logos for default group which will be "All Channels" LogoManager will grab logos all day long for them. So generally it is very hard to predict what group will user want to select.
    Regarding skin cache, I agree with you. Let it rebuilt it by default. The better way is to exclude logos from cache at last.

Correct, I've got DVB-C here :) Have no clue how many channels are typical avialable on DVB-S - But I guess several hundres.

So can you potentially grab in the background? Then Logomanager could just show a Notification about that grabbing will start with a estimated completion time(fixed grab time x amount of channels.) - Today you still need to wait for every single grabbing to take place.

Don't see the scenario regarding grabbing certain groups - I assume a user will actually use the groups, that they have defined in Channel setup, right - So why not just grab all - Or at least all non-encrypted channels by default?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Have no clue how many channels are typical avialable on DVB-S - But I guess several hundres.
    for my dual-LNB setup receiving 2 satellites (Astra 19.2E and Hotbird 13E) there are over 2700 channels. Surely i have divided them in several groups and selected only bunch of them.
    As one of possibilities - we can implement some logic for autorecognizing of some setup types, e.g.
    • if we have predefined country and group settings - then just use them (waiting for pressing "grab")
    • if some settings are not defined (1st start?):
      • if the country the user lives in has appropriate pack - then autoselect that pack
      • if the country has no pack - then ask user to select one
      • if we have no predefined group settings - then check if there are other groups except "All channels".
        • if not:
          • channel count in "All Channels" let's say, < 100 - then grab
          • channel count in "All Channels" > 100 - then ask user tho check settings or warn him that it can take long. In that case grab only after user's reaction
        • if yes - then grab all groups except "All Channels"
      • if we have predefined group settings - then grab.
    Any comments/suggestions?

Don't see the scenario regarding grabbing certain groups
    i live in Germany, but came from Russia, so - i have groups with german channels and with russian ones. Surely i want to grab german groups with german pack, and russian groups - with russian pack.

Do you still think that your scenario (living in country having existing logo pack and having only one "all channels" group with dozens of channels) is more common?

Last edited:

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Then Logomanager could just show a Notification about that grabbing will start with a estimated completion time( fixed grab time x amount of channels.)
    that is really depends on the internet connection speed and PC power. And i don't really think that it is worth it: we need to check several logos for speed, then ask TV Server how many channels it has in all groups, then calculate how many packs are configured for grabbing, add some time for downloading and parsing those, etc. etc...

Today you still need to wait for every single grabbing to take place.
    even if you configure to grab several groups with different packs - the plugin will do that in one pass (i.e. you need to press Grab button only once).

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Have no clue how many channels are typical avialable on DVB-S - But I guess several hundres.
    for my dual-LNB setup receiving 2 satellites (Astra 19.2E and Hotbird 13E) there are over 2700 channels. Surely i have divided them in several groups and selected only bunch of them.
    As one of possibilities - we can implement some logic for autorecognizing of some setup types, e.g.
    • if we have predefined country and group settings - then just use them (waiting for pressing "grab")
    • if some settings are not defined (1st start?):
      • if the country the user lives in has appropriate pack - then autoselect that pack
      • if the country has no pack - then ask user to select one
      • if we have no predefined group settings - then check if there are other groups except "All channels".
        • if not:
          • channel count in "All Channels" let's say, < 100 - then grab
          • channel count in "All Channels" > 100 - then ask user tho check settings or warn him that it can take long. In that case grab only after user's reaction
        • if yes - then grab all groups except "All Channels"
      • if we have predefined group settings - then grab.
    Any comments/suggestions?

Don't see the scenario regarding grabbing certain groups
    i live in Germany, but came from Russia, so - i have groups with german channels and with russian ones. Surely i want to grab german groups with german pack, and russian groups - with russian pack.

Do you still think that your scenario (living in country having existing logo pack and having only one "all channels" group with dozens of channels) is more common?

Wow - That is a lot of channels:)

I want to emphazise the ease of use here - minimizing the amount of remote clicks/interaction is key for any user satisfaction.

The above suggestions is actually a good improvement compared to now - But I think we can do even better by keeping design nice and simple.

So a large amount of channels is not optimal regarding the grabber and waiting time - And download speed limitations can cause salso cause delays.

I then think the grabber basilly should behave like this:

If 1st run - Display Autograb option box for the user(Want to autograb?) if the following requirements are True:
    • Country have Logopack
    • All Channels+ Defined Groups <100 (Ex. encrypted - Possible?)
    If the above check is not True or is 2nd run, then warn + display the manual/advanced grabber.

Ex. In Denmark this will actually cover all DVB-C and DVB-T users - And If something should fail in Autograb, then user can just use the manual grabber in 2nd attempt.

Regarding grabbing several packs for several countries - I think this is a minority of users, that actually do this - Unless we have a one global repo/pack with a working complex mapping logic, then I believe this should be a manual procedure for now. But the idea of only a single repo is great and can maybe be easier to maintain/Support........But getting the logix to work is propably pretty hard.

P.S While grabbing, can we show progress(grabbing 10 out of 44) + Cancel button? - Then a Autograb users always have option to exit.

Let me know what you think:)

/Morten

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It will be tricky to have a single global repo since there's many different channels with the same name in different countries, i.e. TV3.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello,

I just have downloadet the version 0.0.0.4. When I start the plugin I get an error like Missing file or not valid. I am sure I have forgot some file, but I didn't see any description which file is to make and copy where. Before I post some log file, it would be nice if someone can post excatly what I need to get the logos.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom