madVR Settings thread (3 Viewers)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    As stated in the original post , I have ALL dynamic andf post processing settings disabled. So NO WOW effects, just trying to get the best poosible picture available with the hardware and software at my disposal.;):rolleyes:

Then use HDMI Input as "Computer" on ur tv, this will force the TV to expect full RGB over HDMI. If u use ur PC for things other than Video then use Pixel Format YCBCR 4:4:4 in catalyst, if u dont care about desktop then use RGB 4:4:4 in catalyst.

Basically what u want to avoid with this setup is unnecessary 16-235 to 0-255 conversions. At the end it comes down to how ur TV is processing RGB internally. Most TV panels are full RGB some are not, then there are also things like how ur TV is doing internal image processing, some can do it in the full range, some convert it to limited and then convert it back to full in order to show it on the panel.

In other words.... its a mess.

PS. ITC processing at its default setting (checked).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then use HDMI Input as "Computer" on ur tv, this will force the TV to expect full RGB over HDMI. If u use ur PC for things other than Video then use Pixel Format YCBCR 4:4:4 in catalyst, if u dont care about desktop then use RGB 4:4:4 in catalyst.

PS. ITC processing at its default setting (checked).

Given that we are really not sure what the "Computer" setting actually does and I get the best PQ when the setting is "Off" regardless of whether Catalyst is set either to to RGB or YBCr (video and desktop) , I have no intention of changing that! With RGB set in Catalyst, results for non HD have improved, thanks for that and so far I have not seen the degradation I experienced when it was set to YBCr.:)
    Regarding you other comments, yes if I am playing an HD 1920x1080 movie on an 1920x1080 display then yes I do not want to intoduce any wow effects, and want to see it as original. However when II'm playing TV at 720x576 (or less) on a 1920x1080 display I want to employ all the upscaling and other processing WOWs to get the best PQ possible, using madvr seems to me to gives us the best option available to do this. Or am I wrong?

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi joe, something I have been experiencing seems to match your issues. I don't know if it's a bug in madVR or my misconfiguring, but the the fix I found was:

- devices/TV/calibration: select 'disable calibration controls' and ensure disable GPU gama ramps unchecked
    - devices/TV/color and gamma: ensure gamma processing unchecked and other values 0

If you followed the Kodi guide linked above, it's suggestions are to set 2.20 gamma for both settings to ensure good consistency between different colour encodings. However, even though I had the values set to those suggested, it was way too bright, the afternoon football was dazzling in the sun and a greyish colour in the dark.

Regarding you other comments, yes if I am playing an HD 1920x1080 movie on an 1920x1080 display then yes I do not want to intoduce any wow effects, and want to see it as original. However when II'm playing TV at 720x576 (or less) on a 1920x1080 display I want to employ all the upscaling and other processing WOWs to get the best PQ possible, using madvr seems to me to gives us the best option available to do this. Or am I wrong?
    No that's a reasonable way of thinking about it, the thing with madVR is it can do whatever level you're happy with.

Saying that, I have just started seeing what 2x oversampling does, bear in mind HD TV is 1080i so there are deinterlacing arterfacts to consider :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi joe, something I have been experiencing seems to match your issues. I don't know if it's a bug in madVR or my misconfiguring, but the the fix I found was:

- devices/TV/calibration: select 'disable calibration controls' and ensure disable GPU gama ramps unchecked
    - devices/TV/color and gamma: ensure gamma processing unchecked and other values 0

If you followed the Kodi guide linked above, it's suggestions are to set 2.20 gamma for both settings to ensure good consistency between different colour encodings. However, even though I had the values set to those suggested, it was way too bright, the afternoon football was dazzling in the sun and a greyish colour in the dark.

Hi kenwonders
    Thanks for this, I have unchecked the enable gamma processing option and the other settings were already as you suggested and will see how it goes. I also noted that in the AMD Catalyst Control center the setting "Reactivate AMD Controls" in the Desktop colour section was live (not greyed out) indicating something else was controlling the colour:oops:, e.g. maybe Windows:unsure: (if colour calibration was actioned at the OS level), I have reactivated the AMD controls and again I will see what happens.

Saying that, I have just started seeing what 2x oversampling does, bear in mind HD TV is 1080i so there are deinterlacing arterfacts to consider :)

Good luck, there are certainly a buch of options available in madvr, keeps it interesting.;)

BTW I have set up the Lentoid decoder in the new HEVC option in the MP codecs config. and disabled HEVC hardware decoding in LAV. Do you know a way I can confirm the Lentoid decoder is in use, I think it is but when playing Elysium CPU is still 100% (was reduced in MPC-HC) although the video is marginally smother and the audio no longer cuts out 3/4 of the way through.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think from log you can see that :)
    Also you can use graphstudionext (ctrl+g after that and connect to the remote graph and see what codec in use.)

If you have only one screen and for testing, you can switch to MP windowed mode.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for this, I have unchecked the enable gamma processing option and the other settings were already as you suggested and will see how it goes. I also noted that in the AMD Catalyst Control center the setting "Reactivate AMD Controls" in the Desktop colour section was live (not greyed out) indicating something else was controlling the colour:oops:, e.g. maybe Windows:unsure: (if colour calibration was actioned at the OS level), I have reactivated the AMD controls and again I will see what happens.
    If you run in madVR windowed mode you can bring up the madVR config and see the effect 'live' by changing and applying it. I do this when playing with all the scaling options: bring up control-J and the madVR config, and watch what happens when you change something. It really aids the understanding of what each part is doing. There aren't many changes that need a video restart to enact when you do it like that. While playing, the current profile in use is highlighted in bold, so you can check that you're using the one you expect :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am getting some jitter and shimmer effects when playing 720x576 Live TV (paticularly in motion scenes) when using madvr which I do not get with EVR. I have tried adjusting many of the madvr settings but so far with little or no improvement. I do not see the problem with higher density videos. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be most welcome.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Run GPU-Z while running the channel in a windowed mode MP and check GPU Load.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    GPU load when playing problem content is between 50-60% with madvr and 10-20% with EVR. Generally 50-65% GPU load is typucal for most types of video on my set up when using madvr. So nothing special there I think.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Yep u are right, 50-60% is fine considering that 720x576 needs luma upscaling.

Can u describe "jitter and shimmer" effects a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom