madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can u describe "jitter and shimmer" effects a bit?

With moving scenes. sport/football a moving figure on a non moving background (no panning) has an undistict kind of of smeared outline, tried various edge settings in image enhancements but just seemed to increase rendering times. I get a shimmer/moire efect on scenes containing multiple straight lines/edges or sometimes a shimmer from the edge of a major feature in the scene e.g.a table or desk.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Do u have smooth motion ON in madvr? If yes try without it.

Do u have any kind of Motion interpolation ON on ur tv?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No and No and please note I do not have this problem if I use EVR, so I think it is down to madvr. Maybe that is the price for the other improvements in PQ with madvr compared to EVR.
    I am interested if anyone else has seen this or a similar issue and if they were able to improve it.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Hmmmm,

I am using Lanczos 4 taps with AR for both Luma and Chroma upscaling and i got everything on OFF in the Trade Quality For Performance TAB.

Also under display settings in madvr in "Calibration" i currently use "disable calibration controls for this display".

I see we got very similar VGAs and i don't notice any issues while watching football.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Regarding deinterlacing, technically madVR and LAV (whos deinterlace functions would be used under EVR) are using the same hardware deinterlacer, but with some extra detection in madVR for pulldowns.

I'm also struggling with deinterlacing and SD material, possibly describable in the same terms as what you're describing, but I get it everywhere. Perhaps the sharpening affect of madVR settings you're using highlights the problem?

Although it affects other things (like hardware HEVC) you might find software decoding + YADIF in LAV looks better. I certainly find it less glitchy looking, but then I lose the ability to play any 4k material.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, check out the videos here which may help understanding:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...adaptive-deinterlacing-others-icl-ticker.html

There is an SD test video there, which at least confirms that it's not my TV signal/network/MP etc.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    If u suspect that the issue arise from de-interlacing then u might try disabling "Use Automatic Deinterlacing" in Catalyst and set it to Vector Adaptive.

I also have the Pulldown detection box checked.

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    uhh it smells ken :D that damn cheese:p

@joecrow sounds like aliasing, it looks like this?
    if so, ya may try to use some different shaders, image upscaling with lanczos 3 taps +ar and chrome up with softcubic for example.
    cheers

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    uhh it smells ken :D that damn cheese:p

@joecrow sounds like aliasing, it looks like this?
    if so, ya may try to use some different shaders, image upscaling with lanczos 3 taps +ar and chrome up with softcubic for example.
    cheers
    Is it me or they are also using different colorspace during the demo videos?

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    that may be,
    it is too bright but i think you can see the aliasing effect very good;)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The aliasing effect is obvious as hell :)
    They tried their best to showcase the issue hehe.
    --- Post updated ---
    Today i went for some testing out of curiosity.

I enabled my iGPU which is an Intel HD 530 and run the cheese slice tests with it, then compared the results with my R7 240 and well R7' VA deinterlacing is better than intel's, i also discovered that currently i can select between QS or DXVA Native without doing some monkey tricks in order to use the iGPU that is not connected to an active display, i remember a couple of years ago u had to do some tricks in order to use both cards with LAV.

I am curious how much i can off load from R7 if i use QS for decoding and then use R7 for deinterlacing and madvr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom