[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (3 Viewers)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I published a new HID Demo version fixing the regression introduced with the missing usage code as seen in your last screenshot @FrankBert.
    I could see only the code 0x69 coming through our 0x88 collection.
    So at least some code are coming through as they should, they seem to be uncommon codes, like if something was filtering the common ones.

Do you have any other application making use of IR installed on your machine? Kodi or any other media center application or services?
    Are you sure you did not enable some remote plug-in on TV server? Did you try with TV server disabled?

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    Oh man! That hurts!
    I have once tried to install Kodi and of course have configured the MCE Remote.
    The "MCE Remote" PlugIn changed the registry!
    Deinstallation of course did not help. :mad:

Luckily I was able to copy the 2 registry branches for the HID-Remote from my other PC over and voilà - no everthing works. (y)
    On the otherPC I never installed the remote control nore Kodi.

after Registry clean.PNG
    Now the HID-Demo show 88 and 89 codes!

I did test it in MediaPortal with the HID-Remote - works like with the MCE-Remote setting.
    It looks like I can now update to MP 1.13 :)

For those of you who have ever installed the same Kodi-Plugin (MCE Remote) - you can try to use my attached default registry settings to re-enable full HID control back again. (be aware that I did export them with Windows 10 - I am not sure if they where the same on earlier Windows version - but do guess so)

Sorry Stéphan for all the trouble, but who could know that the plugin changed registry setting without telling ...
    Many thanks!

This shows again - you should have only one god - an that is MP! :D

Attachments

• default HID Registry Windows 10.zip
      4.7 KB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh man! That hurts!
    Another head slap moment :ROFLMAO:

Thank you very much @FrankBert for taking the time to investigate this issue.
    We greatly appreciate your valuable contribution to this community.
    I'm really not impressed with that Kodi MCE Remote plugin.

@Kevin TenBrook Can you confirm you are having the same or a similar issue than @FrankBert?
    You can probably check that by downloading his attachment and checking your registry for those entries.

Is this Kodi MCE Remote plugin needed to use your remote with Kodi?
    They say the remote should just work out-of-the-box.
    If this registry hacking dodgy remote plugin is the "official" way to support MCE on Kodi then we may want to tell them it's a mess and hope they get that fixed.
    @Developers @Testers Do you guys know anything about that? Can anyone easily provide some feedback to the Kodi community about this issue?
    I just don't do Kodi and now I know why :)

Last edited:

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    I have updated now to MP 1.13 and use the HID-Control.
    Everthing, except one tiny thing, is working well.

It is not really important, but maybe someone can check if you have the same issue?

I tried to map the TV-Power Key (top left) to the "Powerdown - Shutdown Windows" function.
    Unfortunately it did not work. (worked with MCE-setting in MP 1.12)

MPConfig.PNG

In the HID-Demo, the button arrives - see screenshot and log.
    TV Power.PNG

But when pressing the key in MP, nothing happens...

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have updated now to MP 1.13 and use the HID-Control.
    Everthing, except one tiny thing, is working well.

It is not really important, but maybe someone can check if you have the same issue?

I tried to map the TV-Power Key (top left) to the "Powerdown - Shutdown Windows" function.
    Unfortunately it did not work. (worked with MCE-setting in MP 1.12)

View attachment 174806

In the HID-Demo, the button arrives - see screenshot and log.
    View attachment 174805

But when pressing the key in MP, nothing happens...

TvPower is missing from 1.13, that should be fixed in 1.14. See that thread.
    You can try the installer from there.

The key you re-mapped is another one.

You could also fix it in your current installation.
    Edit the XML file mentioned in there and add the following to the WindowsMediaCenter section:
    <button name="TvPower" code="0x65" />
    Then go configure it.

In both solutions you may need to delete your custom XML first. (The one from the ProgramData folder).

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you guys know anything about that? Can anyone easily provide some feedback to the Kodi community about this issue?
    I just don't do Kodi and now I know why :)
    Is this what you wanted?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=78179&pid=2216568#pid2216568

If you want me to change bits here and there, just tell me.

I would have created a dedicated thread I guess. Very well explained, thanks. Let's see if we get some answers.

Last edited:

jreed5359

Portal Member
    August 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I tried applying the registry updates from @FrankBert (I'm using Windows 10 also) and can confirm that the HID driver is now working for me. I've upgraded to MP v1.13 and everything is working great now. I don't remember ever installing Kodi, but it's possible I did try installing it a long time ago and then uninstalled it.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom