Media Portal Struggle: Full screen tv from standby (1 Viewer)

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
May 10, 2015
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
ok it took a while I had to rename two sqlite database
the Mediaportal.xml setting for name="lastactivemodulefullscreen" has reverted back to "No" so I left it that way.
I then ran MP went to full screen tv ..went to standby and then wake.
The first time there was a crash but no log files were written.
The second time it worked and put me back into the tv guide.
The last test was run at approximately 16:14 local time.
see uploaded file

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I do have one other issue which may account for the unexpected shutdown messages..
    However, if I place it into standby mode for the night and I go to wake it up the next morning.
    [...]
    No wireless keyboard, Remove, usb keyboard or mouse keyboard will however bring it into a state where there is a anything on the screen other than a black screen.
    In those cases I am forced to hit the restart button.
    You are running on Intel hardware?. What you describe is the consequence of Intel's so-called "Deep S3 sleep". Many MP users, including me, have/had the same problem as you.

Some improvement was introduced in 1.12.pre. You may want to update to version 1.12, which was released yesterday and test if things get better.

EDIT:
    I just realize that
    a) the resume patch was introduced in 1.11
    b) 1.12 is not yet released - while the header says it is, the link and text point to 1.11

Anyway, if the system is not resuming from deep sleep, 1.12 will not provide improvements.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In addition I will shutdown Mp at night using alf f4 and let windows 8.1 put the pc to sleep and see if it wakes in the morning.
    Yes, bingo. This would be the first thing I would do. My hypothesis is that you'd continue to experience the same problem, and that would prove the [primary] standby/resume problem has nothing to do with MP.

Disconnect my usb drive.
    Like I said, I don't see USB problems, so I don't see the value... but if you think it is useful...

I will reset the xml file set it back to what it was. If not already done so by the system
    The MediaPortal.xml file is not a system file. It's just a MediaPortal configuration file. Therefore the system is not going to reset it.

In general I don't see how this helps... unless you're assuming that MP is somehow causing your standby/resume problems (which I would dispute). At the end of all of this I presume you're still going to want MP to automatically start TV after resume. Therefore you're probably going to need those options to be set. Therefore in my opinion you should leave the options enabled so that you can attempt to solve the standby/resume issue in a way that accommodates the options you want to use. But it's up to you what you do...

I will rename the broken sql lite db to .old so they are recreated.
    Yes, this is necessary for MP to function properly. It will affect the results when you attempt standby + resume with MP open. However, I think it would be better if you could get standby/resume sorted independently of MP first.

Remove start MP on windows startup for the time being.
    In relation to the standby/resume issue: I don't think it makes any difference, especially if I'm right and the standby/resume problem has nothing to do with MP.

Restart pc
    Kick off MP using Wathdog app.
    Go to full screen mode.
    Put it into standby for s a few minutes and wake it.
    Then close MP using alt f4 and post logs again.
    Again, I think you'd be better served to sort out standby/resume independently of MP if possible. MP just adds complications. If it were me, I'd be ensuring my system can consistently survive any number of standby/resume cycles of any length before even opening MP. Like I said: forget about the automatically-start-TV-on-resume thing until you know Windows can resume successfully, because that's a prerequisite.

Just as an afterthought. MS is about to rollout windows 10. Has MP been tested on windows 10?
    Yes, MP works on Windows 10.
    Please settle on the platform you intend to use.
    It feels like a waste of time attempting to solve problems with your current platform and configuration if you're going to switch platforms at some point in the very near future, because the problems that exist now may well change or vanish with a new version of Windows, new drivers etc. ...and then all this discussion was pointless.

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
    May 10, 2015
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I do have one other issue which may account for the unexpected shutdown messages..
    However, if I place it into standby mode for the night and I go to wake it up the next morning.
    [...]
    No wireless keyboard, Remove, usb keyboard or mouse keyboard will however bring it into a state where there is a anything on the screen other than a black screen.
    In those cases I am forced to hit the restart button.
    You are running on Intel hardware?. What you describe is the consequence of Intel's so-called "Deep S3 sleep". Many MP users, including me, have/had the same problem as you.

Some improvement was introduced in 1.12.pre. You may want to update to version 1.12, which was released yesterday and test if things get better.

ok what intel software are you referring to that is now version 1.12 ?
    If I know what it is I can see if I already have it or upgrade to it.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    ok what intel software are you referring to that is now version 1.12 ?
    If I know what it is I can see if I already have it or upgrade to it.
    1.12 is under internal testing. It will be relased on next week.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Apologies, I just updated my post above.

Many systems with Intel CPU hardware - not software - like yours (and mine) enter a deeper sleep state after some time. While all software has no problem with this, MediaPortal unfortunately does in connection with DirectX and the Intel graphic driver . If you are interested in more reports and details, look for MP-4578, which describes this in more detail.

The problem is limited to Intel systems. Certain MediaPortal changes addressing this were introduced with 1.11. While some people report that they don't have issues anymore, some others see improvement but not complete resolution of the issues.

As mm was already pointing out: first fix sleep/standby behavior of your system without MediaPortal (i.e. deactivate the server). The system must enter standby on its own and resume back without problems. Resume should at least be possible using the power button. If not, then I would suspect that your power button isn't correctly configured.

Last edited:

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
    May 10, 2015
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm testing it tonight. I will stop media portal and turn off the tv using the remote. By morning I will try to wake the pc up using the remote.
    I just realised that the other suggestion was for the new version of MP . My bad I thought he meant the Intel Power management software.

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
    May 10, 2015
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Just as a follow up.
    My PC did not fully waken from deep sleep this morning.
    Power light came on but no Hard drive activity and no signal through HDMI to TV.
    Unable to waken it through remote, keyboard or mouse.

I will check Powercfg setting to see if everything is ok. Might be able to disable deep sleep.

I also want to test to see if MP will wake PC enough to perform a scheduled recording at say 5am when it is in deep sleep.

I've had no issues with scheduled recordings but haven't had one at this time of day.
    will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom