[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    During the last year a lot has happened behind the scenes of MediaPortal. Consequentely it was time for a news entry informing you about the current and future plans for MediaPortal 1 and MediaPortal 2.

The future of MediaPortal 1
    Thanks to our team member Albert, MediaPortal 2 has reached a state of development where the rest of the team can start to jump on it. This means the time has come to reduce the efforts we spend on MediaPortal 1.
    What does this mean for you?
    During the next 2 weeks we will release an ALPHA version of MediaPortal 1.1.0. The reason for this alpha version are the massive changes (like the removal of the old, inbuilt TV-Engine) we've done recently.

Because of these changes, we can not provide SVN builds for an existing MediaPortal 1.0.2 installation. It will also not be possible to update from MediaPortal 1.0.x to 1.1.0 in the final version.

To prevent problems with leftovers from existing installations a clean installation is required if you want to use MediaPortal 1.1.0.

Please be aware that the 1.1.0 ALPHA release is meant for testing only. By no means should it be used on a productive system (you have been warned ;) )

The SVN builds which we will release later on can be applied upon an existing installation of MediaPortal 1.1.0 ALPHA.

A few weeks after the release of the MediaPortal 1.1.0 ALPHA we will release a first release candidate. To follow an old tradition the release of MediaPortal 1.1.0 is targeted for December 2009. It will be the last major release of MediaPortal 1.

Even though the team focuses on MediaPortal 2 now, this does not mean that MediaPortal 1 is completely dead. There will be at least one MediaPortal 1.1.x release later. But we would like to outsource its development to the community .

We've already made a first step into this direction by creating the "submit patches " sub-forum. If you fixed a bug or resolved one of the tasks posted in one of our roadmaps , you can post the patch there. The team will review it and if approved include it in our SVN repository, so that it will be part of the next MediaPortal release.​
    The future of MediaPortal 2
    There is still a lot that needs to be done until MediaPortal 2 is in a condition to replace MediaPortal 1. Our developers currently estimate that this will take about one more year of development. To give you guys out there a first impression of MediaPortal 2 we will soon start to release public test versions so that you can actively monitor the development process or even be a part of it. ;)

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great news, chris!

Thanks a lot for your great and hard work!

best regards
    Helios

rvmoerkerk

Portal Member
    February 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    super!

Hi,

sounds like a plan. i'm not a programmer but will test it and let you know what's wrong and whats good.:D

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ahh excellent guys, well done i mean out of software i use MP is by far my fav

good luck with mp2 and ill be sure to test the alpha for you :)

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    Bravo
    excellent news

just like to thank the devs for some great work on the latest releases of MP, rock stable as far as i'm concerned.
    and to those in the community who have been working on the patches :D

aidbish

Gusete

Portal Member
    May 18, 2009
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you for the update and, although this may not be the place, I would like to thank the team MP for all the hard work they have put up for years. I have recently installed MP and now I enjoy watching my videos much more than before. It does add to my quality of life.

sonik

Portal Member
    March 23, 2008
    the thing that always springs to my attention is the well-thought-out manner in which you guys plan your next steps...Sound slike a realistic and solid plan

It'sa great piece of software and highly appreciated in my household. I'm looking forward tot MP 2
    :D:D:D:D

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interesting.

Will it be possible to have both versions installed in parallel?

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom