mediaportal hangs on resume from s3 (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the log files and description lan (y)

To me it looks like this problem all starts from failure to suspend properly, and I think that your ARGUS plugin is causing that problem. I see that MP is telling the ARGUS plugin that Windows is suspending:
    [2016-02-09 15:30:56,839] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Suspending operation
    [2016-02-09 15:30:56,839] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TvHome.WndProc(): Windows is suspending

...but after this there is nothing more. The normal activity that is expected during suspend does not happen.

You can check if I'm right by temporarily disabling the ARGUS plugin and checking if that enables the PC to suspend and resume normally.

lan

Portal Member
    November 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Early this morning I went into the living room and the computer was awake. Every Wednesday it is defragmenting the recording drive (D). That’s why it was awake.
    I turned on the DENON receiver and TV and MediaPortal was perfectly ok. Then I turned off the receiver/TV and waited until defrag was done and the computer automatically went to sleep.
    Then I turned on computer/receiver/TV and MediaPortal was still working without problems.
    As you can see the freeze error is not consistent and it sometimes work.

I have a suspicion about “unattended” wake (recording start) and sleep (recording end) where the receiver is off, is causing problems (HDMI handshake?). After “unattended” wake/sleep there is two scenarios:

1. I wake computer and turn on receiver.
    2. Computer is awake and I turn on receiver.

I think I need to test what happens in these situations. Does MediaPortal freeze consistently? Right now, I simply do not know cause wake / sleep period is happening in the night.
    I see your point with disable Argus but after this description do you still think I should do that? The test scenario this morning shows suspend and resume works even with ArgusTV enabled.

lan

Portal Member
    November 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This morning I started with no problems. MP was ok.

I closed MP.
    Disabled Argus plugin in MP configuration and started MP.
    After 15 minutes the computer went to sleep. I resumed without any problems.
    Gathered the log files.

Enabled Argus plugin and back to normal again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Enabled Argus plugin and back to normal again.
    To be clear, what do you mean by "back to normal"? Do you mean the problem is back?

After looking at your 3 sets of log files, to me it looks like the problem only happens sometimes. Sometimes there is no problem (like "this morning"); other times there is a problem. I can't see why that is the case. All that I can say is that when there is a problem it appears to be caused by the ARGUS plugin.

So, in my opinion the next step is to prove (or disprove) that the problem is caused by the ARGUS plugin. That can be done by disabling the plugin until you are certain the problem should have occurred (eg. 1 week). If the problem does not occur during [for example] the week, we might assume that I was right that the ARGUS plugin is causing the problem. On the other hand, if the problem does occur during the week while the ARGUS plugin is disabled, we might assume that the ARGUS plugin is not causing the problem (...and we need new log files showing the problem occurring with the ARGUS plugin enabled so that we can make a new theory).

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Its a shame you guys got rid of the restart MP on resume option as I myself also have many problems with Freezing from sleep or if I have turned the TV off before putting the client into sleep. This option also ensured that the WOL command was sent to the server as sometimes that is not sent meaning I have to leave the server on 24/7 to ensure that resume works. This feature was removed as it was supposed to be more reliable but ever since it was removed ive had issues and thats with a new install etc so I wish this feature was brought back.

lan

Portal Member
    November 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    To be clear, what do you mean by "back to normal"?
    The system is in production and the only way to watch TV in the living room. I just meant that I enabled ArgusTV again so the system will be available to the other family members.
    I think I can't disable ArgusTV for a longer period because of the above.

Its a shame you guys got rid of the restart MP on resume option
    Oh yes. But we don't know for sure that it would help. The computer goes to and from sleep for recording during the day/night where nobody watches anything (TV/receiver off) and a MP restart might not help if the problems occurs when someone turns on TV/Receiver . Actually I need to restart MP when TV/receiver turns on because on that time I know for sure someone will use MP. Maybe I could figure out to do that with the remote and girder/event ghost etc..?

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A restart of MP at resume always clears the issue for me that may have occured when the computer went to sleep. Its also the only sure fire way of making sure the server gets the WOL command as half the time the server wont wake up so now I just leave it on. If I close MP and then reopen the server wakes everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom