MediaPortal policy for skin publishing with backdrops/fanart/backgrounds? (1 Viewer)

aj1405

Portal Pro
September 30, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
What is the MediaPortal policy for distribution off skins with backdrops/fanart/backgrounds containing company logos (TV Channels, Radio channels etc.) and backdrop (Movies, games, music artists etc.)?

The reason I’m asking is because up till now I’ve released my skin with a few examples, but I’m considering making a large optional skin pack containing a lot of these.

mattsk88

Community Skin Designer
March 27, 2008
What is the MediaPortal policy for distribution off skins with backdrops/fanart/backgrounds containing company logos (TV Channels, Radio channels etc.) and backdrop (Movies, games, music artists etc.)?

The reason I’m asking is because up till now I’ve release my skin with a few examples, but I’m considering making a large optional skin pack containing a lot of these.

Depends where you sourced them from.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Copyright springs to mind first, then download file size second, high would most probably have ultimate say on later.

Seeing as the newer skins have a moderate example of fan art supplied this is not normally a problem, will have to see if our Germany based servers, (a) could cope, (b) be a liability in local law.

Company logo's may be a issue, if they do not like the free publicity :)

Regards

aj1405

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    At the moment
    Logos: Wikipedia
    Backdrops: XBMC forum
    Other: Free for personal use

But in general what is considered ok?

I would consider copying the company logos from their homepage to link to the tv/radio channel as fair use, but what about movies, games, album covers etc. these are obviously copyrighted regardless of the source.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hard to answer, if I am strict I have to forbid any picture that wasnt approved by the creator. Even official promoshots, cover, logos or whatever. To be realistic...we cant check any single picture by ourselves and sometimes we just have to accept the minor risks that goes along with this.

If you release a skin please keep that in mind and dont add 50 fanarts/logos or whatever to the package on our servers. There are many file-upload-services availible so please add the unnessary extra-stuff there and just link it.

aj1405

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I was thinking about something like Rapid Share. I just wanted to know your position linking to that type of material. Should have made my initial question a little clearer.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The other thing that needs to be made clear here, is plugins, TV-Series downloads its own, so does the new Moving Pictures plugin, both of these, technically take the issue outside Mediaportal, as they are sourced from outside distributors.

I would go for the rule of thumb, minimal is better :)

Rapidshare, what a pain in the proverbial, but as a last resort has its uses, and some of the torrents have no seeders anyway.

Anyway, good luck with your skin :)

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Your best bet will be to release the skin here (With basic set of graphic), and separately a "bonus pack" either via torrent, RS or any other means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom