mediaportal to other set top boxes (1 Viewer)

nightshadow36

Portal Member
January 1, 1970
Hello I am not sure if i am in the right section or if any one can be of assistance I will try and explain what I do and what I am trying to do.

I have a wireless internet company in Spain and i would like to send free sat TV to my customers as a free extra service.
What I have done so far...

Installed a 3meter satellite dish to receive free sat channels with a quad Lnb
Installed windows server 2012 r2 with a TBS 6985 tuner
Got MediaPortal server working on the windows server

I will be sending the signal though a wireless network just the same as on a home local Lan just on a bigger scale
I have manged to get media portal to work on a computer on the clients side and I am very happy with the look and feel of media portal.

What i would like if possible, many people do not want to go out and buy a HTPC as it can get quite expensive
Is it possible to use media portal on a normal Sat set top box?
I am looking for something simple for my clients that works like a normal set top box.

Recap, I would like to have MediaPortal as the back end server and have the clients use a normal set top box like the Humax, the same kind of set up as other companies use, for example virgin talk talk, tivo

Is this possible?
And thank you for any advice you can give.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello nightshadow36

Is it possible to use media portal on a normal Sat set top box?
    No. MP is Windows only. STBs usually use proprietary and/or Linux or Unix based operating systems.

You could try to use XBMC as a frontend instead of MediaPortal as it can run on Linux, but even then I think you'll struggle to get XBMC on a set top box.

I'm interested to know how many clients you're targeting and how many channels you'll try to deliver.
    Wondering if one tuner will be enough, and whether the server timeshift capability will be scalable enough for you.

Regards,
    mm

nightshadow36

Portal Member
    January 1, 1970
    I will be looking at trying to deliver about 10 channels to about 150 clients at the moment, if i can some how give the clients an option of free to air channels though the same radio wifi internet antenna I am hoping to get many more customers.
    Thats the goal but its very hard finding away to do what I am trying to do.
    mediaportal is a very good software but I have come to see its not the right software I need for my clients, I have to keep it as simple as possible.
    They turn on a set top box and just change the channels.
    Thank you for your reply

Ps the tuner I have has 4 built in this was just to buy to do some testing, I live in spain and there are many people from diffrent countries, if i can some how get this working i would be trying to give free to air channels English, Dutch and Norwegian

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I will be looking at trying to deliver about 10 channels to about 150 clients at the moment...
    I think this is beyond the capability of our TV Server, simply because the timeshifting load on the HDD would be too much.

Thats the goal but its very hard finding away to do what I am trying to do.
    I think you need professional IPTV delivery equipment with IPTV set top boxes if you want to do this. Sorry, I can't offer advice beyond that - no experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom