Mediaportal + Windows + HDHomeRun Connect (1 Viewer)

Rau

June 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi, I've been a happy user of WMC on Windows 7. I have 2 x HDHomeRun DVB-T dual tuners (model: HDHR3-DT) which connect to my LAN and allow recording up to 4 channels simultaneously by WMC. I rarely if ever use the system for live TV watching - but I do a lot of TV recording. [Local TV broadcasts are Mpeg2, both SD and HD]

I'd be grateful for some advice on the following:
1) I know MP supports Silicon Dust tuners - does this include my model above (purchased probably 3-4 years ago).
2) Assuming MP will be compatible with Win 10, what makes the most sense - install MP (on Win 7) now and subsequently upgrade to Win 10, or first upgrade to Win 10 (post 29 July), then install MP?
3) I understand MP can populate EPG based on over the air transmitted guide info. But is this going to work for me - presumably the only way to gather the guide data for a given channel is to first tune to that channel??
4) If any Aussies out there have experience with deploying MP in Australia - would appreciate advice on how it's gone and how you sourced EPG data.
5) What file format(s) does MP produce its recordings in? I want to be able to edit recordings using VideoRedo TVSuite 5.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again :)

1) I know MP supports Silicon Dust tuners - does this include my model above (purchased probably 3-4 years ago).
    Yes.

2) Assuming MP will be compatible with Win 10, what makes the most sense - install MP (on Win 7) now and subsequently upgrade to Win 10, or first upgrade to Win 10 (post 29 July), then install MP?
    Yes, MP will be compatible with W10.
    From an MP perspective the order of Windows upgrade and MP install probably don't make any difference, so do whatever is most convenient for you.

3) I understand MP can populate EPG based on over the air transmitted guide info. But is this going to work for me
    Pass. Nobody except you or somebody in your area can answer this question for you.

presumably the only way to gather the guide data for a given channel is to first tune to that channel??
    If you're using the DVB EPG grabber (ie. transmitted guide data) then yes, TV Server has to use the tuners and tune channels to gather the guide data.
    TV Server can be configured to gather guide data when:
    • you're not using any of the tuners (live TV or recording)
    • you tune a channel (live TV or recording)
    • both
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration/TV-Server_Configuration/05_DVB_EPG

5) What file format(s) does MP produce its recordings in? I want to be able to edit recordings using VideoRedo TVSuite 5.
    .TS (transport stream)
    Compatibility with VRD depends more on the encoding of the video and audio than the file format.
    If you've been able to use VRD with WTV files from WMC then you'll be able to do the same with TS files from MP.

Regards,
    mm

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi and welcome...
    This is up to you. If you decide to install MP now, you can save your MP configuration for later use if you want to do a clean install of Win 10. If you plan to do an upgrade without new installation of Windows (aka "Format C:") the MP installation should be kept.And by the way, MP will definitely be Win10 compatible.

MP uses the .ts container and is storing the stream as it is broadcast by the TV station. Especially for such kind of streams and containers VideoReDo is made. I'm also doing a lot of recordings and near to zero live TV watching and I also use VideoReDO to edit and cut my recordings. All that needs to be done after the cutting I do with a program I've written especially for this purposes. you can find it in my signature.

3) I understand MP can populate EPG based on over the air transmitted guide info. But is this going to work for me - presumably the only way to gather the guide data for a given channel is to first tune to that channel??
    As I don't know Austalian TV at all (it's the other end of the World for me living in Europe) I can not exactly answer this. But normally MP needs to tune to a channel to grab all EPG data from this transponder. Or you can use some other EPG sources like xmltv or WebEPG...

As I don't know our tuner I can not answer point 1, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom