[solved] MediaPortal won't start (1 Viewer)

McNiall

Portal Member
September 20, 2014
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

MP was working fine until 24hrs ago... now it won't start.
I can see the application starting in task manager, but a few seconds later it disappears.
I also can see two MP entries in the Task Manager > Startup tab (assume there should only be one?)

The only two relevant events I can think of that may have impacted MP are:
- Microsoft System update (update for 8.1)
- Possible unexpected shut down (I found the PC in restart/login mode yesterday morning, when I left it running/idle the night before?)

I was going to backup the databases etc and reinstall, but the config utility won't run either. The only MP application that will run is WatchDog (thankfully.... log files attached)

Apologies - not an expert in this kind of thing (installing & setup was easy.... troubleshooting this type of problem is way beyond me!)

Thanks,

McNiall

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome McNiall :)

- Possible unexpected shut down (I found the PC in restart/login mode yesterday morning, when I left it running/idle the night before?)
    Yep, this is the cause.

Your MediaPortal.xml file (which is the main MediaPortal configuration file) is totally corrupted.
    That file can be found in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal. Note Windows normally hides ProgramData, so you may need to copy and paste that path into the address bar in Windows Explorer to find the file.
    Once you find the file, delete it.
    You may be lucky and find there is a backup - MediaPortal.xml.bak - in that same folder. If that is the case you can try to rename MediaPortal.xml.bak to MediaPortal.xml and try starting MediaPortal. If that still fails then the backup file is also corrupted and you'll have to delete that file as well.
    If you don't have a backup or the backup is also corrupted then after deleting the files you'll be able to open MediaPortal Configuration and reconfigure all your settings. After reconfiguring you'll be able to open MediaPortal.

Regards,
    mm

McNiall

Portal Member
    September 20, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Bingo! That was it.

the xml.bak file was a default/vanilla config, but I'm fairly certain I have a recent backup. I'll try finding that and using it instead.

Thanks for your help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom