Missing audio/video encoders for Hauppauge 723x TV Card (1 Viewer)

neurological

February 7, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First of all, I will gladly start with the specs of my PC. I'll fill in the blanks as I go about it... I forgot what /run command to use to get all of the information :C

MediaPortal Version: LASTEST SVN
MediaPortal Skin: N/A
Windows Version: Windows 7 64-bit
CPU Type: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
HDD: 1.5 TB
Memory: 8 GB
Motherboard
: Unsure
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios
: -
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850
Video Card Driver: -
Sound Card: On board
Sound Card AC3: -
Sound Card Driver: -
1. TV Card: Analog Hauppauge 723x Analog TV Tuner
1. TV Card Type: Analog
1. TV Card Driver:
...could be more, unsure what to put

So basically, I'm getting the 'Unable to Scan', "Please install a supported audio/video encoder for your software analog card" error when clicking the Scan for TV channels button on my Analog TV card.

I read a few threads this week, one or two mentioning to download a program (WinDVR 3 trial) that will install the codecs to allow MediaPortal to work with live TV. I haven't been successful in finding said program, and I have also been wondering if there is an alternative method. I get the same error, but I thought that maybe there is a different solution for different TV tuner cards.

I want to test this out in the ATSC mode, but sadly I do not have access to a cable at this time. When I scan channels however, I do not get any encoder error.

As an added twist, I have been using Windows Media Center since I got this PC, and it works fine with live TV. I immediately began to wonder if Hauppauge made exclusive rights to WMC (and in turn, shut me out of any open source technology)... I hope this isn't the case! Very curious if the encoders might be elsewhere in my system... would it be possible to just 'move' them. I'm expecting an answer to the effect of 'nope'.

I'm not sure what logs I should provide aside from the TVservice-error, but let me know what else would work.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome neurological :)

First, some reference material that may or may not help:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rs/7_Scan_Analog/Software_Encoding_Card_Setup
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...onfiguration/06_General#Software_Encoders_Tab
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-most-software-encoder-based-tv-cards.90355/

Salient points:
    1. Analog tuners are increasingly irrelevant these days as more and more countries have transitioned to digital TV. Unless you're trying to pull in FM radio, analog cable channels, or an input from an external video source (commonly a cable or satellite set-top-box), analog tuners are likely of no use to you.
    2. If you are trying to pull in an external video source: using a tuner gives the worst possible video and audio quality. Better to use component, s-video or composite inputs. RF/coax should be a last resort. If you're trying to pull in signal from a cable set-top-box, I recommend you get a CableCARD tuner and be done with it.
    3. We don't recommend or provide support for tuners like yours that require software encoders due to difficulties in setup and reliability... but you may be able to get them to work if you're persistent.
    4. You mentioned WinDVR 3. Hauppauge provide an equivalent solution via their SoftPVR/SoftMCE package, downloadable from their website. TV Server configuration lists the compatible software encoders and whether it has detected them in the section described in the second link.
    5. If you're really stuck or want to experiment, the third link provides a package with a bunch of encoders that should make the tuner work. I don't endorse or recommend installing it.
    I read a few threads this week, one or two mentioning to download a program (WinDVR 3 trial) that will install the codecs to allow MediaPortal to work with live TV. I haven't been successful in finding said program, and I have also been wondering if there is an alternative method.
    As above, point 4. Since Corel bought Intervideo, WinDVR is no longer available or sold. Even the old trial has become increasingly hard to find. Use Hauppauge's SoftPVR/SoftMCE. It is meant to be compatible with Hauppauge tuners and is free.

...but I thought that maybe there is a different solution for different TV tuner cards.
    Most tuner manufacturers provide their own software encoder package. Hauppauge's is SoftPVR/SoftMCE. You should not need WinDVR.

I want to test this out in the ATSC mode, but sadly I do not have access to a cable at this time. When I scan channels however, I do not get any encoder error.
    Encoders are not required/relevant for ATSC mode, hence you won't get an error.

As an added twist, I have been using Windows Media Center since I got this PC, and it works fine with live TV. I immediately began to wonder if Hauppauge made exclusive rights to WMC (and in turn, shut me out of any open source technology)... I hope this isn't the case! Very curious if the encoders might be elsewhere in my system... would it be possible to just 'move' them. I'm expecting an answer to the effect of 'nope'.
    Yep, the answer is no.
    In technical terms: Windows 7 comes with encoders. These are the ones WMC is using. Unfortunately they're not compatible with TV Server. TV Server can only use the encoders in the lists in TV Server configuration (link 2 above). Hauppauge is not shutting you out.

I'm not sure what logs I should provide aside from the TVservice-error, but let me know what else would work.
    If anything, all of them. Just zip 'em all up and post the zip file. Hopefully once you've installed SoftMCE the problem will be solved and you won't need to bother.

mm

neurological

February 7, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Looks like my problem was just a simple assumption.
    I had thought that the ATSC option was specifically for a cable input, perhaps it can be used with an antenna to pick up digital channels. I changed the tuning mode to ATSC Digital Terrestrial and clicked scan channels. A few channels are coming up on the status... let's see what this baby can do!

I'm working on it right now, and...
    I am getting much further than before.

I finally have TV! And I turned on PBS and all of a sudden The Beatles are playing I am the Walrus on a British program here in the states....

Couldn't be a better sign that good things are about to happen!

Thanks a bunch

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had thought that the ATSC option was specifically for a cable input, perhaps it can be used with an antenna to pick up digital channels.
    It absolutely can. :)

I changed the tuning mode to ATSC Digital Terrestrial and clicked scan channels. A few channels are coming up on the status... let's see what this baby can do!
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC#Tuning_mode

If you have an ATSC tuner + aerial and are trying to pull in digital channels then ATSC digital terrestrial is definitely the right mode. :)

Couldn't be a better sign that good things are about to happen!

Thanks a bunch
    Win! :D
    No problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom