MKV merge - multiple files at once? (1 Viewer)

FoxForceFive

Portal Pro
February 16, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.11ghz
HDD: Hitachi 500GB Western Digital 250gb + Maxtor (external) 320Gb
Memory: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Video Card: Nvidea Geforce 9500GT
Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.8048
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio (built in)
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5657
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type: N/A
1. TV Card Driver: N/A
2. TV Card: N/A
2. TV Card Type: N/A
2. TV Card Driver: N/A
3. TV Card: N/A
3. TV Card Type: N/A
3. TV Card Driver: N/A
4. TV Card: N/A
4. TV Card Type: N/A
4. TV Card Driver: N/A
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV Decoder Filter
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: MPC - Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
HTPC Case: Antec Sonata III 500
Cooling: Stock fans
Power Supply: EarthWatts 500 Watt
Remote: N/A
TV: Phillips 19" 190SW/Time 32" LCD
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI/DVI

I'm using MKVmerge GUI in MKVtoolnix as recommended on here to both merge my sub files in & convert existing files to mkv (that 2.5% space saving makes a little difference after all!), but despite the tool being ultra quick & efficient it's very time consuming, esp when considering I have hundreds of relatively small tv episodes to do.

Is there any way adding them all in at once & it creating separate output files for each?

I have checked the help files with mkvtoolnix but couldn't seem to find a solution.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I don't think you can, as you said they are output name dependant, took me ages to do as well, even it the muxing only takes 35 seconds or so :(

But worth it in the end, especially if you use SAF.

FoxForceFive

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Ah right, thought that may be the case, but before I embarked on hours of work I thought I'd double-check! Cheers.

colbsure

Portal Member
    February 13, 2009
    Home Country
    I often use the command-line mkvmerge to convert whole folders of files as follows:

Ensure mkvmerge is on your system path and type the following in a command prompt:

for %x in (*.mp4) do mkvmerge "%x" -o "%~nx.mkv"

This would convert every *.mp4 file (change as appropriate) into a *.mkv with the correct name and extension.

Felix26591

March 22, 2014
    Panama City, Panama
    Home Country
    Panama Panama
    I know this is an old topic, but had a hard time looking for answers as well, and finally decided to do it myself. It's a small bash code, you place it in the main directory where you have all ur subdirectories and run it with MKVmerge installed, you can change any video filetype into an MKV just by changing the file extension in the find command, and changing the output to the filetype (or simply copy and paste code multiple times with different filetypes).

Here's the bash code:

find -type f -name '*.avi' | {
    while read filename ; do
    mkvmerge -o "./${filename%.avi}.mkv" "$filename"
    done
    }

That's it and if u are using linux to automatically delete all the files with the unwanted extension just run this bash script :

find . -name "*.avi" -exec rm -rf {} \;

chris198810

Portal Member
    July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    To do that you should do is to find an easy-to-use video join software. In fact, there are some choices of video merge software:

Free Video Joiner: easily joins various video files and outputs to: avi, wmv, mov, mp4 and other file formats based on your selected multimedia device. Re-encoding is needed with frame size following the first video file you add, and the quality loss can't be avoided.

Brorsoft Video Converter: It is a professional and integrated video split and merge software for merging or splitting videos. With it, you can quickly join multiple video files together into one file as you need. Plus, you can split any video files (split music supported as well) with its Video Split feature: split the videos by file account, time length or file size. What's more, this program can convert multimedia files MP4, AVI, DivX, MPEG, MOV, VOB, MKV, etc from one format to another with codecs of your choice suitable for your computer, mobile devices or uploading to the Internet.

Here is a tutorial for splitting or merging video files.

ivywhite

August 10, 2020
    Home Country
    China China
    Merge multiple MKV files at once? I think you might as well try Joyoshare Video Joiner. Such a tool supports almost all media formats and it comes a lossless mode that can help you to merge an unlimited number of MKV files into one at once without quality loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom