.mkv subtitles default language (1 Viewer)

ChriZ

Portal Pro
March 22, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I'm using 1.0 RC2 and I was playing around with subtitles the other day - I'd like my default language for all movies to be Danish subtitles, however this doesn't really seem to work, MP just picks up whatever is default in the mkv... does the default language work through setup ? Are there any other ways to change the default subtitle language, maybe through Haali Media Splitter?

BTW - I only have this issue with mkv files, as I normally only d/l subs for .avi in the language I want, don't know if the default language thing works with .avi's though?...

/Christian

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Use the "Media Splitter Settings" command in your start menu, you can set Audio language priority there.

In my case this link doesn't work so I had to run the setup this way:

Run -> cmd
    navigate to your installation of Halli Media Splitter (defaults to "C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter")
    enter "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe splitter.ax,Configure"

Other possibility would be to remux the files and set the containers default audio language this way.

-level20peon

ChriZ

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Use the "Media Splitter Settings" command in your start menu, you can set Audio language priority there.

In my case this link doesn't work so I had to run the setup this way:

Run -> cmd
    navigate to your installation of Halli Media Splitter (defaults to "C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter")
    enter "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe splitter.ax,Configure"

Other possibility would be to remux the files and set the containers default audio language this way.

-level20peon

Thanks for your suggestion.

Tried it, but it doesn't work in MP - works fine with default subtitle language if I use WMP, but somehow MP overrides Haali Media Splitter with the default subtitle language, which doesn't seem to work properly (tried with english subs as well, but still, it's just picking up the first available subtitle track...)

/Christian

jamieo

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Tried it, but it doesn't work in MP - works fine with default subtitle language if I use WMP, but somehow MP overrides Haali Media Splitter with the default subtitle language, which doesn't seem to work properly (tried with english subs as well, but still, it's just picking up the first available subtitle track...)

I have been annoyed by the same problem for some time too - subtitle handling outside of MediaPortal does honour the default track flag and haali splitter settings so that default subtitles will be chosen automatically without user intervention. However, MP implementation seems to miss the existence of the default track flag and forces the first track to be shown regardless (even if a non existent language is set in MP Config as default) so overriding/breaking/ignoring the default flag and correct VSFilter behaviour.

I hope some dev picks this up - it's my understanding that MP shouldn't need to do the default subtitle manipulation it's currently doing - if MP would leave VSFilter/Haali to implement the default flag behaviour (instead of overriding it) it should then act the same as MPC.

Jamie

ChriZ

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Okay, so it looks like default language doesn't work for .mkv's... so, how do we get a developer to follow up on this? create a bug report?

/Christian

jamieo

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Done some digging on this and the mkv specs do allow for a 'forced flag' in addition to the 'default flag' - therefore it seems the latter is only intended to indicate the default should the user enable subtitles while the former would force their display without any user interaction as with a dvd's forced subtitles.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any software with the ability to set the forced flag (although it should be a simple operation). It seems this is a problem going back as far as 2005/2004...

This is only a problem for forced subs though and does not change the fact that MP still ignores and overrides the default flag...

edit: Out of interest I hex edited a file to set the forced flag to true - it is correctly read by mkvinfo but at least in MP and MPC with VSFilter/Haali it is ignored. Of course, while most mkv files have the default flag set I doubt many implement the force flag - but I'm considering making a small app that could set these flags without remuxing as I cannot find one so far...

It would be really great if MP read in the default and forced flags and activated the correct tracks - perhaps it could use the output from mkvinfo initially although the file looks to be easily parsable (I did it with a hex editor and ctrl-f!). With both flags correctly implemented MP would handle mkv playback better than any player I've tried!

putte

July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi all.
    I solved this issue with a "dirty" fix. I just changed the file extension from .mkv to .avi. And it worked with the .srt file directly.
    Hope this helps for u to...
    Best regards
    Putte

jamieo

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Putte,

I'm not sure that helps with this but I have also noticed sometimes that MP refuses to load the separate srt file. This was with mkv files but I did not try avi too. Perhaps you can submit a bug report so mkv will also load .srt properly?

In the mean time, I've made a thread in General development, maybe some devs can help out there...
    Excellent, I tidied my earlier post to save confusion. I'll try and make the tool if I find time - especially if MP is fixed to make use of it!! :)

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom