Move recordings to NAS after X days? (1 Viewer)

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Just been doing some searching and didn't manage to find anything.....

Does anyone know of a tool or plugin that could move recordings to a NAS after a set number of days and then remap the internal database so that MP still is able to play and manage the recorded file?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Tommy,

There is a separate program called MCE Buddy which will, if need be, convert recordings etc to more compressed formats, however, there are settings where you can stipulate how many days old the recording has to be before it is moved/converted and also times of conversion/moving/deletion. It also allows you to stipulate folders to move recordings from and to, so you could set up a networked location and move the recording from your HTPC after, say three days, and put it on your NAS.

Whilst the program works and works well, the only criticism I have is that it doesn't remember the folder settings if your HTPC is set to shutdown and restart as mine is. I was hoping I could set up the folders and conversion settings etc, and then set it to start up automatically and thus run in the background looking after recordings, however this was not the case, and every restart needed me to setup the folders and 'start' MCE Buddy monitoring the recordings folder. If your HTPC is running constantly then it is no problem.

The folder you move your recordings to, could be setup under 'videos' in the config section - it is how I did it ( I had a folder named 'Converted Recordings' ) and this was then accessed via the Videos option in MP GUI.

I also use a plug in called File Explorer which allows you to navigate to different folders on different drives and move files between them, and whilst using the MP GUI. I use this to move films and TV series to their respective folders.

HTH,

M.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Whilst the program works and works well, the only criticism I have is that it doesn't remember the folder settings if your HTPC is set to shutdown and restart as mine is

Never used that, but will check it out to find out why its happening, after the new forum is online monday.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Ray,

As you'll recollect you put me onto MCE Buddy. It really is a great program, but the problem was on restarting you have to manually set it up again and then click on 'start'. I put it into the StartUp folder in Win7 so it kicked off when booting up, but I still had to manually set it going. I wanted it to work like the RAMdisk software does, where you set it up and tell it work at boot up and it just does that with no intervention and runs in the background doing what you asked it to do.

Maybe I missed something, but I did spend several hours over a few days evaluating it and trying to get this 'auto' operation working and I just couldn't. I haven't found any other software that does this either.

Cheers,

M.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Belvedere - <http://lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere-automates-your-self+cleaning-pc>

Not tried in a a NAS environment yet (this posting prompted me to actually take a look at something I've been meaning to get around to) but can set rule to Move files(s) from A to B if "data last modified" NOT IN LAST "3 days" - example, having a quick look, lots of rules possible.

Been around for a while (tested on Win 7 enterprise), is GNU public license, source is on Github, light weight and seems to work. Installs as a 'start up' item, light weight and basically seems to work - may help.

TTFN - J.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Only problem is that then the moved recordings would not be available through "recorded tv" as per normal...

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Just a bit of an update on my use of MCE Buddy.

I have downloaded and installed a newer version 2.1 (release 2) and this now starts up automatically and monitors the folders I have asked it to do. There may have been a bug in the Beta 18 version I was using.

I'm going to give this a go over the next few days, even trying it with Comskip to see if that is accurate.

I'm not using it to rename any files though - one step at a time for me.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Jon,

I don't know really. I haven't played with it for long enough, but I would doubt it, as it is not a program specifically created for MP. I am just more concerned with auto conversion of recordings. I have set it to convert after 'x' number of days. This allows me to watch stuff and delete it, it will then convert the remaining stuff I want to keep and put it into a folder listed under the 'videos' section.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah my main requirement would be for the paths in MP to be updated so that MP doesn't really know that the files have been moved and it all just still works :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom