MP 1.12 using wrong codec under Win 10? (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have made an upgrade for my HTPC (Win8.1 to Win10) and LAV works good, but i have Nvidia and older i7 too.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but the x264 codec definitely is free and without any violation of the h264 licence
    AFAIK x264 is an implementation of a compliant h.264/AVC encoder, so I don't know how that can be.
    As the page says:
    http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
    In addition to being free to use under the GNU GPL, x264 is also available under a commercial license from x264 LLC and CoreCodec. Contact info@x264licensing.com for more details.

I think it is like LAV, FFmpeg etc. where the patent holders would spend more money than they can recover if they try to sue open source projects. So they allow the open source projects to exist. However, the minute you try to use the codec/encoder in a commercial product you will get a call/email/letter asking for money. ;)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have made an upgrade for my HTPC (Win8.1 to Win10) and LAV works good
    And i've done a complete clean install of both my HTPC & DEV to Win 10, and LAV is working fine for everything (MPEG2 included)
    21-19-26.png

And i can confirm that MS DTV is selectable in MP Config, but won't be used (it uses LAV here also)

And Windows 10 Professional seems to contain the MPEG2 codecs (msmpeg2vdec.dll) in both the System32 & SysWow64 directories.

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am getting just 43-45 fps for a theoretical 50fps with the known consequences.
    I have seen the same on my new client with a Intel Z3736F Atom.
    With Windows 8.1 no problems with TV or video playback (but some others regarding the new connected standby function).
    After upgrading to Windows 10 I have seen the same as you have. I did some investigations in the LAV thread on doom9.
    There is stated by the developer that HW acceleration = Quicksync or CUVID should not be used because of problems and will probably be removed in one of the next releases.
    DXVA or DXVA copyback should be used instead. It is mentioned that they are as fast as Quicksync.

After changing this the framerate is not a problem anymore. Now I have some pixellarations from time to time which where also not there with windows 8.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I verified the installed video codecs on the different PCs using the tool Sherlock. Surprisingly there are no differences between the PC that is capable of using the MS-DTV for MPEG2 and the other that can't - the codec list is absolutely identical with the same file versions. Both PCs are running under Win 10 Pro.

LAV video codec for SD in combination with the MS-DTV audio codec leads to picture and sound becoming asynchronous after some time. Also picture is getting choppy for some reason. I switched to LAV audio codec, which seems to be OK for SD but have not tested if MS-DTV video combined with LAV audio plays OK for HD content. Remember that LAV video codec for HD is giving bad results on this particular machine.

EDIT: LAV video + MS-DTV audio for HD is working flawlessly ((y))

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Surprisingly there are no difference between the PC that is capable of using the MS-DTV for MPEG2 and the other that can't - the codec list is absolutely identical with the same file versions. Both PCs are running under Win 10 Pro.

Are they using the same GPU (and drivers) ?

It might just be that the (new/immature) Win 10 drivers don't properly support hardware decoding of MPEG2 at the moment.

The fact that "LAV video codec for HD is giving bad results on this particular machine" also suggests that there might be some GPU driver issues.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Surprisingly there are no difference between the PC that is capable of using the MS-DTV for MPEG2 and the other that can't - the codec list isd absolutely identical with the same file versions.
    I'd advise to check the CRCs on the files, not just the file versions.
    There may be some kind of registry switch that the codec is checking...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd advise to check the CRCs on the files, not just the file versions.
    CRC's for msmpeg2vdec.dll on the two PCs are identical

There may be some kind of registry switch that the codec is checking...
    msmpeg2vdec.dll shows as registered on HTPC1. Hence the question is how Microsoft has realized the 'missing' MPEG decoder feature. Since it works on another Win 10 Pro machine, it cannot be hard-coded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom