MP Crashes after turning off TV (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am having a problem that is "sort of" related to the "Freeze after standby and crash on playback problems with 1.8" thread just started. I have also recently upgraded to 1.8, but perhaps more importantly I also recently changed my graphics card to a Radeon HD5450 just so I could get both audio and video out to my receiver via HDMI (my previous card didn't do this and I was using optical SPDIF).

All was working fine (mostly, but that's a problem for another thread) until I wanted to play just music without the TV on. Previously this has never been a problem. Now, using the HDMI feed for both audio and video, turning the TV off causes MP to crash. Logs with this happening are attached.

Any advice? Should I be able to do this, or is there something about the HDMI connection/interaction that means this is no longer possible?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Your logs are really long and full with errors, but try this:
    1. Open MP Config >> General >> Startup/Resume Settings:
      Disable the option on the bottom: Stop playback on removal of an audio renderer.
    2. What also might be worth a test, is changing the Volume Settings to 'Master Volume':
      MP Config >> General >> Volume Settings.
    If that didn't solve the problem, please use the MediaPortal WatchDog / Debug-Mode with option #1, reproduce the crash when you turn of the TV and post the new logs.

Not related to your issue, but your Hauppage remote throws a bunch of errors.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Can you please also specify:
    1. What receiver and TV you have.
    2. What your connections were.
    3. What your connections are now.

Example for 2 and 3: PC --- [HDMI] ---> receiver --- [HDMI] ---> TV

Thanks,
    mm

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the fast replies and suggestions. New logs are attached with the problem reproduced after the requested changes. Slight variation - after starting the track and turning off the TV, sound stopped then resumed after, maybe, 3-5 seconds. Then turned TV back on - at which point MP crashed again. To be more specific it shows in Task Manager as "not responding" but looking at the process list, Mediaportal.exe is showing at using around 80% of cpu. I left it for while but this didn't change, nor did the sound return, so stopped the process and picked up the logs.

And yes, I should have been more specific with connection details. My receiver is a Sony STR-DA2400ES and the TV is a Samsung UE46D800. Previously the connections were PC--[HDMI]-->TV for video and PC--[SPDIF]--> receiver for audio.

Now the connection is both sound and video via HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The thing that struck me about the previous logs is that it appears MP creates and disposes textures etc. twice. When we reset the device in RecreateSwapChain() it seems that triggers OnDeviceLost() which also calls RecreateSwapChain(). I know that OnDeviceLost() is triggered on resize etc. on XP, but I seem to recall scythe42 saying that it shouldn't normally be triggered on Vista+. In other words, the OnDeviceLost() stands out like a sore thumb to me. I could easily be wrong as I'm not an expert in this area.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, I guess I there's no simple or obvious answer here. So I'll ask if anyone else can do what I'm trying to do without any problems?

To repeat, I want both video and audio output to go via HDMI to a receiver, the receiver then to pass through the video stream to a TV/display while out=putting the audio to the speakers driven by the receiver. Select to play music in MP, then turn the TV/Display off (and then back on again at some later point) without MP either crashing or hanging.

If others can do this repeatedly with no problem I have to look elsewhere for the cause of my problem.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If others can do this repeatedly with no problem I have to look elsewhere for the cause of my problem.
    I do this for years now, but i have 2 important differences in my setup, compared to yours.
    1. HTPC >> Receiver >> HDMI Splitter >> TV + Projector
    2. Using AVR Audio Guard because of 'Silent stream bug'
    It sounds like you have a HDMI handshake issue between your HTPC and receiver.
    First thing i would do is to download the AVR Audio Guard, install that and try again.
    Quote:
    It will also detect when you switch inputs or turn off your receiver or tv, and resume the silent stream once they are turned back on to the correct input again.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestion, but regrettably not the solution. After turning off the TV the sound stopped, then reappeared after a few seconds. However, when turning the TV back on, sound continued but MP was now in windowed mode (full screen before) with a pure black window. As before, task manager shows MP as "not responding" but using 70-80% of cpu. I let it run for 5 minutes but this didn't change so stopped MP.

I suspect that you're right about the HDMI handshake issue - I just can't think how to prove it. Buying a new receiver is not an option, even though I suspect a newer one is probably the answer.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @HomeY
    Can some of these issues be PNP related?

"28/07/2014 13:07:29";"Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode";"(101)";"Information";"The UMDF reflector was unable to complete startup because the WUDFPf service was not found. This service may be started later during boot, at which point Windows will attempt to start the device again.";"10114"

"28/07/2014 13:07:32";"WMPNetworkSvc";"(0)";"Information";"The description for Event ID '1074607996' in Source 'WMPNetworkSvc' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event:'WMPNetworkSvc'";"1074607996"

"28/07/2014 13:07:36";"WMPNetworkSvc";"(0)";"Information";"The description for Event ID '1074607998' in Source 'WMPNetworkSvc' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event:'LOUNGEPC: John:'";"1074607998"

"28/07/2014 13:07:36";"Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp";"(7005)";"Information";"Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service tunnel for Device Instance ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0000 with the following status: 0.";"20003"

"28/07/2014 13:07:38";"Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client";"(0)";"Warning";"Name resolution for the name wpad.Home timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.";"1014"

"28/07/2014 13:08:03";"Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client";"(0)";"Warning";"Name resolution for the name isatap.Home timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.";"1014"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, I guess I there's no simple or obvious answer here.
    Well, I would put it this way: if you were expecting a quick solution then that is probably unrealistic. These problems are complex and need more than just a few hours or days to analyse and attempt to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom