MP Crashes after turning off TV (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@mm1352000

Just occasionally one can get lucky and it turns out that it really is quite simple - usually because the user (sufferer) has done something quite obviously daft. I'd be happy to plead guilty! Many years ago, before the wonderful advent of retirement, I used to work in IT. It usually was something the user had done without realising (or equally likely, he was trying to do something no-one had told him couldn't be done!). Never hurts to ask!

Anyway, I was just going to update after some further thoughts and testing. It turns out that neither WMP nor WMC can handle this situation on my system. Both stop playing immediately and don't recover when I turn the TV back on. Both are still running but report an audio error. The difference with MP is that while it is still running it's consuming large amount of CPU but not talking to the screen or anything else.

Upshot is, I now am more inclined to think that it's a handshake issue so have gone back to the SPDIF connection. Problem with this is I can't seem to use MP audio renderer on all TV channels, only those using AC3. There are also lip synch issues that MPAR should have helped me to resolve.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I suspect that you're right about the HDMI handshake issue - I just can't think how to prove it. Buying a new receiver is not an option, even though I suspect a newer one is probably the answer.
    The solutions for HDMI handshake issues are:
    1. EDID override (free)
    2. HDMI Detective (about $ 85,-)
    3. HDMI Splitter (works for me, since it keeps the connection 'open', gives possibility for multiple monitors and is cheaper then HDMI Detective)
    4. Block pin 19 on your HDMI cable could also fix it
    Additional info:
    AVS Forum EDID Override thread (maybe you can request 1 for your TV there)
    http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-problems.html
    http://www.missingremote.com/blog/experience-hdmi-handshake-issues

@HomeY
    Can some of these issues be PNP related?
    Don't think so, really looks like a HDMI handshake issue.
    DNS could be a problem on multi-seat setup, when no fixed IP has been assigned to the NIC (or handled with DHCP)

It is not recommended to use the MP audio renderer for live or recorded TV.
    That is, if the Timestretching feature is turned ON.
    I'm using MPAR for LiveTV (without timestretching). It helps with different HW clock speeds, handles v-syn and uses WASAPI ;)

Last edited:

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @mm1352000

Lot of reading! Will work through carefully, as well as The Perfect Playback Guide". Haven't used MPAR before, only tried recently. Not aware of recommendation not to use for TV.

@HomeY

Thanks for those suggestions, will pursue another day as gymnastics is now on and wife is firmly in control!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom