Dynamic Refresh Rate crashing Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

eclathtpc

Portal Member
December 8, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi there! So I've recently updated to Windows 10 and now my MediaPortal is experiencing some major issues. I've tried everything to find out why it's happening but to no avail. Upon entering mediaportal and selecting a movie, when the file is stopped or ends Windows and Mediaportal flips out on me. When I return to the desktop the taskbar and icons will be gone and behaviour will be strange. Mouse will move, but in the task manager the mediaportal process and others won't be selectable yet the mouse can interact with the restart and power functions on the main splash screen. It's weird. Upon restart of the PC which is the only way to get it back to normal, the display rate from the previously played file will remain; usually at 23 or 24hz; so it never changed itself back to the default 60hz setting?

I'm lost, this is a major issue that breaks Mediaportal entirely for me.

Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 drivers for your graphics card?

eclathtpc

Portal Member
    December 8, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi there LisaG! Yes, running the most recent Nvidia drivers... 368.39 Also, this behaviour is specific to mediaportal, it doesn't happen in any other instance.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    I have had multiple issues with WIndows 10 upgrades, that have gone away when I have formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 10 from scratch. Bit nuclear, but I now have 4 installs of MP1 running happily on Windows 10. I also found that the drivers that windows installs as part of the upgrade can be buggy, so uninstalling and re-installing might help.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Well, you can have my help for free and without logs, ;)

But yes if you want technical help from the developers, they will need logs!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Upon restart of the PC which is the only way to get it back to normal, the display rate from the previously played file will remain; usually at 23 or 24hz; so it never changed itself back to the default 60hz setting?

Are you using the Dynamic Refresh Rate changer in MP ?

If so, try disabling it and see if the problem goes away - if it does, you know what is causing it..

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mediaportal flips out on me
    You will need to be more precise. Does it crash? Does it freeze?
    Logs could help. You can easily generate logs using the MP1 WatchDog shortcut. It leaves logs as a ZIP file on your desktop, thus you can easily attach them to this forum.

There is no known inherent issue with MP1 on Windows 10, it should just work.

eclathtpc

Portal Member
    December 8, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry for the delay. Other than restarting the PC logging out and then back in also gets things back to normal. It's not a crash or a freeze, it's weird! The movie file will play as per normal without any issues, normal activity inside mediaportal. But when the file stops and mediaportal is closed (returning to the desktop) it's almost like a partial lockup. The mouse moves but cannot interact with anything other than the intermediate options in the windows 10 "CTRL ALT DELETE" menu.

I'll try turning of the dynamic refresh rate changer to see if that's the cause. I hope not because that's absolutely essential for smooth media playback. I'm really trying to avoid having to perform a fresh windows install.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Your application event log shows the following message in 30 seconds intervals - and you got ten thoussands of it...
    Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2116-06-03T13:40:52Z. Error Code: 0x80070005.

Try to correct this by doing the following:
    • Open an administrative command window (CMD) and type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Reboot
    • Open an administrative command window and type: sfc /scannow
    This will hopefuly correct the Software Protection problem in your log.

Regarding MP, your VideoDatabaseV5.db3 is corrupt. If you aren't using MyVideos, you may just delete the file and a new (empty one) will be created when you restart MP. Otherwise you will need to repair the database as described in the Wiki: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/Troubleshooting/Repair_SQLite_Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom