MP1.9 crashing (1 Viewer)

mawhite

Portal Member
October 23, 2011
Ok since upgrading to 1.9 from 1.4 I am finding I come back and turn on the TV and find that MP has crashed. When turning the TV off the macro on the remote is to stop timeshift and turn off amp and tv - that's it.

What I see on the screen is a still from the TV show that was on when it crashed so it looks like a TV server or timeshifting issue.

Anyone able to understand the attached logs?

thanks

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi maxwhite,

There is not much to be seen in the logs (other than a database was closed) because your log level does not appear to be set to Debug. Also please check the clock on your client: mediaportal.log is showing messages with timestamps of Oct 19-17.01, which is slightly ahead of time ;) and making Connections to other logs difficult. Can you then reproduce your issue and post logs with debug level?

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

mawhite

Portal Member
    October 23, 2011
    Thanks. I didn't run it as debug as it only happens every few days. Timestamp timing I am unsure of as the PC gets it time from the net. What do you mean slightly ahead of time? Currently in Australia the time on the PC is right. The time that the error took place on the 19th was around 11.40am.

I will try the debug another time.

thanks

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh sorry, I didn't think of Australia - you are indeed a few hours ahead of me.

But even then: your MediaPortal.log has its first entry at 17.01. It is MediaPortal.2.log that corresponds to your 11am timeframe. No logging is taking place between 10.51 and 11.01, at which time you appear to have been switching to channel ELEVEN, then changing to channel GEM.

The one thing that is not right is this:

[2014-10-19 11:03:11,293] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player: ShowFullScreenWindow switching to fullscreen tv
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,534] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Activation request received
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,547] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: video WxH : 720x576
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,558] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: screen WxH : 1920x1080
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,573] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: Crop: top:6, bottom:6, left:0, right:0
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,651] [Log ] [25 ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: video WxH : 720x576
    [2014-10-19 11:03:11,661] [Log ] [25 ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: screen WxH : 1920x1080
    [2014-10-19 11:03:42,610] [Log ] [25 ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: video WxH : 720x576
    [2014-10-19 11:03:42,619] [Log ] [25 ] [INFO ] - PlaneScene: screen WxH : 300x157

The last line indicates a wrong screen resolution (plus another thread number, which I don't know how to Interpret). If you look into the log yourself, you will notice that there is not a single debug entry level. Could you verify in MePo Configuration that Debug level is really activated? Then please clear the log directory (= delete all files), try to reproduce your issue,and post logs after the issue has occurred.

For the sake of clarity:

TV playing is stopped
    TV is turned off
    HTPC stays on?? No powersettings to put PC into standby or anything?

mawhite

Portal Member
    October 23, 2011
    Yes confirm that TV is not playing and TV off whilst pc is awake. Just to confirm I haven't run debug mode as it crashes every few days and I need to disable daily reboots for it to work properly. I will do that soon. When the TV turned on the error message was there with a frozen GEM(channel) screen shot. Will report back when it next crashes with new logs. Thanks for replying though.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Debug level is required. Daily reboot should not be needed. If you require this for the system to run stable then you certainly have some problems, which will need debug logs to be tracked down. Suggest that you disable your daily reboot and set logs to debug.

The fact that this happens only here and there makes me think that this may not be related to MePo but something else, e.g. an unstable driver. Did you verify your Windows event log for some recent errors?[DOUBLEPOST=1413713971][/DOUBLEPOST]Can you check one other thing please?

Switch TV on and play a show. Ideally sound is played via an AVR instead of TV.
    With MePo playing TV, switch off the TV. With an AVR you should continue to hear the show.
    Switch TV back on

What happens?

P.S. When you have a minute please fill in your system specs in your profile and switch it to visible.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You upgraded from a very old version. Sometimes MePo can be a real diva and it might help to simply reinstall. If you want to test this, an easy and safe way would be the following:

Export your TV channels from within TVServer config (uncheck Radio, otherwise nothing is exported because of a small bug).
    Stop TV Service
    Rename MePo directory in Windows program files x86
    Rename MePo directory in AppData
    Do a complete fresh install
    Import your TV channels

Test again.

Last edited:

mawhite

Portal Member
    October 23, 2011
    Ok so I disabled reboots and put it into debug mode. Turned TV on this morning and it had crashed. I have attached the logs. It would appear that it did it the time we switched the TV off around 9.55pm.

Failing any progress I will do a new install but that means taking it offline for a number of hours and that's hard with a busy household :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I did not look at your logs yet (on a tablet right now). I would suspect that the TV not being visible anymore leads to the observed issues. Logs will show.

If you do the reinstall the way I described you should be done in 15 minutes. Missing databases such as music can simply be copied from the old installation into he respective path. Alteratively you maywantto install Huha's backup plugin.

It's now 11pm over here. I'll look into it tomorrow :sleep:[DOUBLEPOST=1413752912][/DOUBLEPOST]Also can you try to just switch off TV as described in my posting above and check if sound via AVR continues to play?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

The good news is that TVServer is running normally and resumes operation next morning. The client part (MediaPortal) appears to be killed though and there is a DirectShow error message logged at 21:55, which links the issue to the TV going off.

Frankly, I have no idea where this is coming from other than maybe that you are switching off TV completely (i.e. not even standby) and therefore the HDMI connection is lost (sadly you still are not showing your system specs and I can only guess here). If this is the case, then the PC may indeed show strange reactions, due to the graphics driver losing its device - but I don't see this in the event log, hence I don't thinkt this is the case.

Rather than doing a lot of guessing, I will appreciate if you performed this quick test first:

PC and TV set on
    Sound via AVR. Watch a channel.
    Switch off the TV set (don't stop MePo playing TV) => Is sound still audible?

If sound breaks off, then the issue is clearly linked to the PC losing its connection with the TV set. Yet I do believe that you may be better off to just reinstall as explained above through renaming the directories , do a full install with reimport of your TV channels and then verify the TV functionality. If you can then switch off and on without getting this DirectShow error anymore, it's a piece of cake to just copy any database from the renamed directory to the new installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom