MP1 live TV on local WIFI network (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There are several wifi sniffer tools that can run on a windows laptop, I have Acrylic Wi-Fi Free installed on this system and it lets me see how many access points are using each channel. There are several other similar programs. I often see 20+ 2.4 GHz wifi networks in my area, most are weak signals, but my router on Channel-11 is sharing bandwidth with a few neighbors and MePo over wifi does not work very well at my location. I tried a TP-Link power line Ethernet, it works better than wifi but I ended up running a Cat5 ethernet cable. A real wire works much better for me.

Attachments

• wifi2.PNG
      wifi2.PNG
      120.3 KB

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi
    My other client is about 600 meters away from me, so cat 6 cable is not an option. I am using a wireless ptp connection with 2 pcs of Ubiquiti nanostation M2. I have run the Spectrum Analyzer and found that the least used frequency is 2447 MHz (chanel 8). The bandwith is about 120 Mbs (TX) and 90Mbs (RX). The MP client on this location works, but occasionally freezes and the client needs to be resett (MP off/on) this is the same if I use rtsp or unc path.. When i use MP extended (Web Mediaportal) with the client set to Flash HD it works fine (no freezing).
    This is why i wished there could be a MP client that was able to buffer up the stream for live tv, with automatic speed (line test) detection. This is often used on live video on the internet.
    I guess this post should maybe be on the TV server wish list...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well...

I regularly read threads where people with apparently adequate network bandwidth (as you have) are struggling to get smooth and reliable TV playback. I'm not a TsReader or streaming server expert, but my impression is that the predominant cause of such problems seems to be variable latency and insufficient buffering. In other words: I think we agree on a few things.

As with many improvement suggestions that I read: your idea sounds reasonable, interesting, helpful, desirable etc... Despite this, I personally don't feel able to implement it due to lack of knowledge, skill, time and test environment. In short: it would be in my "too hard, no time basket".

Having said that, we mentioned the TsReader buffer size/delay setting earlier in this thread. It isn't automatic... but it should enable people to check whether additional buffering would really solve the problem. It's better than nothing...

Regards,
    mm

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanx for your reply, I appreciate that you are interested and understand that the task may be to time consuming for the team. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom