MP1 not restarting after crash (1 Viewer)

hongkongpom

Portal Member
August 11, 2009
Home Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
Hi I'm running MP1.15 on Windows Vista SP1. Sometimes after watching a video I go to click on another video in my list. I can hear the audio but the video stays on the programme list. After a while MP stops and I can't close it.

What I can't understand is that MP is set to restart after a crash but this NEVER happens.

This also happened with previous versions of MP so I was hoping that this is a bug that would be fixed.

I then need to get back to my desktop so that I can restart my laptop. Upon booting up MP behaves for a while. I can click on the same video as I tried to play before and this time it plays perfectly. I can't pinpoint anything that I'm doing wrong.

Why won't my MP restart?
Is this some sort of memory leak that is fixed by restarting?

Best wishes,
hkp

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Why won't my MP restart?
    Probably because MP is not actually crashing.

Is this some sort of memory leak that is fixed by restarting?
    Personally I doubt it. If it were a memory leak - especially one that had been present in previous versions of MP - then it's almost certain that somebody would have noticed it and reported it long before now.

So far all is speculation. If you'd like real help with this problem, please use the Watchdog tool to collect some log files for us to analyse.

Regards,
    mm

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Hi & thanks for your quick reply. Twice now I have pressed the button to report the problem & it saves a log file to my desktop which I assume has been sent to you. Do I ned to email thus somewhere as I hsve not received any reply on both occasions.

Best wishes,
    hkp

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi & thanks for your quick reply.
    Happy to help. :)

...& it saves a log file to my desktop which I assume has been sent to you.
    Your assumption is incorrect. It is not sent anywhere.

Do I ned to email thus somewhere as I hsve not received any reply on both occasions.
    No, you don't need to email it. Simply attach it to your next reply here using the "upload a file" button. That is the regular/expected way to get help with MediaPortal problems.

Kind regards,
    mm
    P.S. It is 3 AM here in New Zealand where I am, so I'm going to bed. However I will certainly check for your reply after I wake up tomorrow. :)

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Thank you. I am attaching two logs. The earliest is when MP crashed (played the audio with no video & then stopped, leaving only the programme library on screen. I couldn't manually close MP. The close option was not available. The second is after I rebooted my laptop (but hadn't played any videos). Both log files I chose the third option to save all logs.

Best wishes and sweet Kiwi dreams. You must be very happy that you pummelled us in last weekend's Rugby ;-)

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Hello again this is the setting that I used to generate the log files.

Best wishes,
    hkp

Attachments

• 20161011_180902.jpg
      20161011_180902.jpg
      1.2 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and sorry for the sluggish reply.

You must be very happy that you pummelled us in last weekend's Rugby ;-)
    The ABs do seem to be in excellent form at the moment. Having said that, they have to be these days. Other teams have really stepped up their game as well in the last few years. :)

this is the setting that I used to generate the log files.
    Technically that option is not ideal. It doesn't give as much detail as the first or second "report..." options.
    Would it be possible to grab new log files with either the first or second option?
    I only ask because currently I'm not able to see what might be causing the problem. Before I saw the log files I thought it might be a codec selection thing. However I see that you're using the LAV codecs, and they're generally pretty reliable. I suppose it could still be codec-related if you have some sub-optimal LAV video or audio settings. The other thing it could be is GPU or power related. This is speculation though.

In relation to the power possibility...
    The log file shows this:
    [2016-10-11 16:58:16,803] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE)

...approximately 5 minutes before the problem seems to have happened. These status change messages often relate to battery level warnings, switching between battery and mains power etc.

Is your laptop running on battery, or is it connected to mains power?

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Hi there yes I can capture the logs again using the first option.

Yes this is a laptop but is plugged into the power at all times

It seems to have after a few days of watching. Literally I will have just finished watching a movie and then go to something else in the list. Then I'll click the title and the movie starts playing in that I can hear the movie. However the video doesn't show. It just sits at the list. After about 10 seconds the audio stops. I cannot close MP because the drop down menu with the home buttons and close don't appear.

After switching to the desktop and rebooting (Vista tells me MP is still open, which it is of course so I have force that to close) the laptop everything is fine until the next time which may be a few more days.

Another problem is with capturing the logs. I have read that I must launch this capturing before the problem happens. But since it can take a few days to occur can I not launch the capture after the problem occurs when I go to the desktop?

Cheers for beers,
    hkp

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the additional info. It really is a bit of a puzzler at this point.

Another problem is with capturing the logs. I have read that I must launch this capturing before the problem happens. But since it can take a few days to occur can I not launch the capture after the problem occurs when I go to the desktop?
    It's fine if the problem takes a few days to occur. However if you prefer to capture after the problem, you can do it that way too. You'd need to change the log verbosity setting to "debug" initially. That way I'll get the full detail in the log files. That's one of the important differences between Watchdog option 1/2 and 3: option 1/2 ("report...") automatically sets the log verbosity to debug for the current session, whereas option 3 can only export whatever you have at the time.

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Thank you. I must be doing something wrong. When I choose option 1 & click the "proceed" button, a log file is sent to the desktop even though the problem hasn't happened yet.

I don't want to change the verbosity setting so I've chosen option 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom