MP2 - V2.5 MP2 v2.5 feedback - installation, autostart, user management (1 Viewer)

dahakon

October 23, 2022
Home Country
Slovakia Slovakia
MP2 Version
Description:

Hi there.

First of all, I appreciate all the effort in MediaPortal 2 release 2.5 - visible changes look great (eg. new installer, round buttons) and backend changes seem promising as well (.NET 6 version seems more responsive than release 2.4.1).
However, as with 2.4.1 upon its release, I encounter few bugs that forced me to restore my HTPC system and roll back to 2.4.1.
At first I thought it was due to my choice of upgrade path (2.4.1 .NET4 -> 2.5 .NET6), but multiple clean installations make me think it's not related to upgrade path.

So, here is my experience based on approximately ten installations:
1. installation failed
Three or four times I encountered "installation failed" message, telling me I cancelled the process. Well, I did not... It's either timeout related (I left the process unattended), or some of the prereqs takes occasionaly a bit longer to install or otherwise fails. Anyway, running the installation again seemed to continue the process where it had ended before.
See attached logs and screens - failed_install_part1.zip is the first try until error message, failed_install_part2.zip is the second try.
Snímka obrazovky 2024-02-05 232335.png

2. client autostart not working - invalid registry entries
.NET6 version creates invalid registry entries for client autostart and ClientLauncher autostart (added using tray icon) - instead of EXE files it creates entries with DLL extension, resulting in Windows error message on startup and, obviously, no MP2 autostart. Once you know what the issue is, workaround is easy and modifying the registry does the job.
.NET4 version seems unaffected.
See attached logs including registry export with invalid entries - autostart.zip
Snímka obrazovky 2024-02-05 233331.png

3. user management not working
User management screen does not work properly:
  • after client launches, user management always starts with blank user profile - after adding a user this way, it continues to modify this particular user until client restart (when the user management screen starts with blank user profile once again, allowing to create additional user - visible via autologin screen)
  • unable to list existing users - both for upgraded installation (2 existing users) as well as for clean installation and multiple users created using behavior described above
  • unable to set password for user
It's not skin related - I have tried Default and WMC skins instead of Nereus, same results. Both .NET4 and .NET6 versions seem affected.
See attached logs and screens - user_management.zip (screens: 001-003 - adding user1, 004-006 "accidentally" overwritting user1, 007-009 adding user2 after client restart)
screen_008.png
screen_009.png

Testing environments:
  • Oracle VirtualBox 7.0.14
  • clean Windows 11 Pro x64, Slovak (all except one which, was English UK), 23H2 fully patched (as of 31.01.2024)
  • default installation of MP2 client+server with no OV/TV3 plugins

Regards

Attachments

• autostart.zip
    39.4 KB
  • failed_install_part1.zip
    234.2 KB
  • failed_install_part2.zip
    2.2 MB
  • user_management.zip
    4.9 MB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Brownard another logs of failed installations. I'll take a look into the user management.
    Edit: I can confirm user management is completey broken with NET4 and NET6 :( Neither an existing profile can be selected nor a new one can be created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom