Multiple users in Mediaportal 2 (1 Viewer)

bodiroga

Portal Pro
January 1, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi all!

I don't know if this post is well placed here, if it's not, please move it to the right subforum.

Thinking about what great features MP2 could have, I realized that having multiple users configuration would be awesome. Let me explain this with an example.

Imagine that we have a four member family: mother, father and two kids. Having this "multiple users" features, when Mediaportal starts, a dialog box will appear asking: "who is going to use Mediaportal?" Options could be father, mother, kid 1, kid 2, all of them, guest and different combinations of them.

What will we get with this?

For example, we could have videos, tvseries, films... set as watch depending on which user watch them and not on where they have watch (room client, living room client, kitchen client...). We could also apply different filters or apply parent control for each user. We could build intelligent playlists based on what each users listen to... Post it here your ideas ;)

In a future, we could also develop a plugin to use face or voice recognition (microphones and webcams) to identify the users quicker.

So, my question is... will this be incorporated to Mediaportals core or will it be possible to add as a plugin (more difficult as all databases will need more columns for each user)? Albert, is this (or something like this) in the roadmap of Mediaportal? How difficult is to add it?

Am I the only one who thinks that this option is a killer feature that will make Mediaportal even better? IMO, this will increase user experience to a higher level, don't you think so?

Many thank for your opinion and especial thanks to Mediaportal developers for all their hard work, you guys are simply the best!

Best regards,

Aitor

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    In my opinion this (user awareness) will be one of the next big things in media installations. I would love it if MPII would support this and it would probably be much easier to implement it now instead of adding this feature later on.

But afaik (the topic came up in a previous thread) there are no plans to initially add suport for multi-user.

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi DieBagger!

But afaik (the topic came up in a previous thread) there are no plans to initially add suport for multi-user.

In which thread? Link?

That's exactly the reason why I've opened the thread, I hope that it isn't too late to speak about it and to add it to mediaportal's core. I'm not a developer, but I suspect that adding this feature as a plugin would be thousand times more difficult than having it embedded in the basic structure. That way, plugins also would be able to use it in a more natural way.

Let's wait to an official answer from Albert or from any of the developers to talk more about this feature.

Many thanks to the developers for their hard work, keep up with the good job guys!

Best regards,

Aitor

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yes, this has been brought up before and I agree with you that this is not only a killer feature but it is also a must have feature in a client/server setup. Let's face it. The way it is today different members of the family watches things at different times.

So if the watched taggs are stored on the server and the son of the house watches episode 3x03 of Leverage when he gets home from school at 15:00 that episode is marked as watched so when the father sits down at 21:00 he does not see the episode in the list. This leads to the situation that each an every person will have to keep track of what they have and have not watched something that makes the watched taggs completely unusable.

This has also been discussed over at the Meedios-forum, and they have multiple user accounts.

http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3748

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Support for multiple users - and user-permissions, is one of the things I had added on the requirements list a looooooong time ago.

So while we do have that on the "ToDo list", there are more basic features to be coded first.
    But it won't be forgotten. :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom