Fork MediaPortal on GitHub
  1. MediaPortal 2 - 10th Anniversary Edition Update 1 released!

The celebration of our 10th MediaPortal anniversary is underway and we offer you "10 Anniversary Edition Update 1"

Read the full news: MediaPortal 2 - 10th Anniversary Edition Update 1

My 1080P Budget HTPC Build (Lots Of Pics)

Discussion in 'Ongoing HTPC Projects' started by kingnubian, April 14, 2008.

1. kingnubian

kingnubian

After doing loads of reading, I decided to go ahead & build my first dedicated HTPC. I've been in Hardware/Software for a long time & find this HTPC phenomenon very enjoyable. It requires a differen approach to pc building and I wanted to build this for my personal use & as a proof of concept for perspective clients.

I haven't yet put in an optical drive. I'm thinking of waiting until Blu Ray Rom drives dip to around $100 CAD.

Parts List:

Intel E4300 C2D CPU (@2.5ghz Stock Cooling)
    Asus P5L-MX Micro Atx Motherboard
    2gig (2x1gig) Trancend PC2-6400 DDR2
    Seagate 7200.11 500gig SATA2 Hard Drive
    Inwin Mt. Jade (BK623) Micro Atx Case (300W PS)
    Vista Home Premium 32bit

The case comes apart easily & mounting the motherboard & components really isn't that hard at all. One tip is to try & use SATA devices as their cable's are easier to route and don't disturb air flow, which is precious in such a small cae as this, much at all. I used the C2D E6xxx series cooler as it is larger & has a copper core as opposed to the slim 100% Aluminum coolers Intel ships with their lower end cpu's such as the E2xxx series.

Here the HIS HD3450 is clearly seen. The power supply/cpu orientation is reversed in this case as compared to a typical ATX setup which seems to aid pulling the hot air off the passive video card and expelling it through the case via the PS Fan.

The Inwin BK.623 was designed in cooperation with Intel to achieve a near fanless design with still good thermals. This, for better or worse, is built around the idea that the Intel Stock fan will be used. This inner bracket is designed for the stock fan only but can be removed to allow other Fan/Heatsink combos to be used but this does to some extent go against the original design. I have no problems whatsoever with heat & my setup. The stock fan is actually very quiet with the Asus Q-Fan enabled in the bios. In fact I can't hear it in the case unless putting my ear right next to the enclosure. Reviews I have read have found that the thermal qualities of this case design is pretty good overall.

Here is a pic with the optical drive cage in place. It rests right above the cpu bracket which at first seemd to be a cause for concern but was found after, by a friend who is running his setup with a DVDR installed, to be a non issue as the case design seems to have considered this in it's design.

The business end of the case showing the DVI/HDMI adapter & cable, wireless Trendnet USB adapter & usb connector for my ATI remote wonder. Note that this case takes a standart Micro ATX power supply & not a proprietary unit. This is great for future PS changes or upgrades if necessary. More to come for sure!

The finished Product.......but still a work in progress..................

Some pics with the unit in use both on my 32" Samsung LCD & the Ladie's 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma. The mountains seen are from aan amazing Samsung HD demo of Tahiti done in 1080p. BTW, my LCD will only do 1080i but it still looks stunning.

Plans:

As I integrate this system more permanently as a personal HTPC solution I will add probably a Blu Ray DVDrom drive for sure. Another thing I've been toying with is a future Case upgrade to an Antec Fusion 430 or one of the Omura cases with a more powerful video card swapped in since I do game, but now only on my workstation in another room.

All in all as it stands now this HTPC project has been & continues to be a big pleasure. I even have a close friend building one now and he is as hyped about it as I am.

As things change I'll keep posting any updates.

Comments?

Attached Files:

• IMG_1386.JPG
      IMG_1386.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1392.JPG
      IMG_1392.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1393.JPG
      IMG_1393.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1391.JPG
      IMG_1391.JPG
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1389.JPG
      IMG_1389.JPG
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1395.JPG
      IMG_1395.JPG
      File size:
      2.5 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1394.JPG
      IMG_1394.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1400.JPG
      IMG_1400.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1409.JPG
      IMG_1409.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1410.JPG
      IMG_1410.JPG
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
    • IMG_1411.JPG
      IMG_1411.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Uploaded:
      April 14, 2008
      Views:
  2. ThaClown
    • Team MediaPortal

ThaClown

System Specs
    Very nice! thx for the pics, makes readinga build that mutch more enjoyable!
    Good job
  3. ricardo4u66

ricardo4u66

Wicked System!!!!
  4. kingnubian

kingnubian Thread Starter

Update: April 18th, 2008

I've sold the Seagate 500gig & ordered a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gig instead.
  5. DaFixer
    • Premium Supporter

DaFixer

very nice htpc :eek: Also the case looks good:cool:
  6. kingnubian

For the price it's real had to beat IMHO.

It's working great now that I've grown accustomed to MP.
  7. StarTV

StarTV

What kind of resolution is the panasonic plasma? Is it full def 1080P or the high def 1024*768?

Did you have any issues setting up the display?

I'm planning on building a HTPC soon but I'm a bit worried about having setup problems with the HDMI connection to the my plasma which is a 42" 1024*768.
  8. MoPhat
    • Team MediaPortal

MoPhat

@kingnubian

Please delete all pictures on your first post, and attach them all in a smaller size like 1024 * 768 pixels because the pictures are TO GREAT and we must scroll up and down to view a image :mad: ...

it makes also a better overview from the images :D:D:D

thank you, interessting images

MoPhat
  9. kingnubian

The funny thing is when I first posted them they appeared as thumbnails in this thread which had to be clicked on to view the larger image, not the full sized images that I see now. :eek:

I'll make the changes as requested.

The Panasonic is 1024x768 & I had no problems whatsoever with this setup. Just make sure to get the sound to work to set, in windows, the default sound out to be "HD HDMI" and "Audio Renderer" in MP to HDMI as well.

I didn't use the drivers that came with the card but opted for the latest release directly from AMD/Ati instead.

I have the HTPC now connected to my 32" Samsung at 1360x768 and used scaling, In Ati's CCC, to fill the full 1366x768. It looks great!
  10. infinite.loop
    • Team MediaPortal

infinite.loop

System Specs
    hello kingnubian!

i have started to write a few tutorials about the features of vbulletin (our forum software).
    maybe the ::attachements tutorial:: is useful for you. :)