My Films 6.0 final released ! (16.12.2012) - V6.0.3.2921 (MP 1.3 & 1.4) (1 Viewer)

Which Movie Catalog do you use with My Films 6?

• Total voters

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm afraid I've got confused again ;)

I wanted to set AMCU so that it would grab (using IMDB) the Original Title (i.e. in whatever language) and the Translated Title (i.e. English) and list/sort/search by the Translated Title. This hasn't worked however and several of my Movies have "??????????" or similar for the Translated Title and the Original Title's all appear to be English.

So could you advise me how to set it to achieve what I want to do please?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi doveman -Can you give me an example of a case that does not work (and the tt#/link on IMDb) - i.e. a case where the original title is not English on IMDb but displays the English Title as Original Title in My Films.

What data exists in your DB for Original Title and Translated title in that case? Particularly a case where My Films displays ?????? for Translated Tittle

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi doveman -Can you give me an example of a case that does not work (and the tt#/link on IMDb) - i.e. a case where the original title is not English on IMDb but displays the English Title as Original Title in My Films.

What data exists in your DB for Original Title and Translated title in that case? Particularly a case where My Films displays ?????? for Translated Tittle

Hi Dadeo

It's not quite like that. It doesn't display the English Title as Original Title. What I wanted was to always see the English Title in MyFilms and I figured the Original Title would sometimes be in a foreign language, so thought if I sorted/listed by Translated Title that would ensure I always saw the English Title. Perhaps it would be better if I just let it sort/list by the Original Title (i.e. Sin Nombre) though and have the English Title available in the details. I'm not sure how to get it to store the English Title in Translated Title when the Original Title isn't English though.

I rescanned last night and for some reason it seems to be putting a foreign language title in Translated Title, so for Original - Translated I get stuff like:
    The Young Victoria - La joven Victoria
    Death to Smoochy - Tötet Smoochy
    Atonement - Expiación, deseo y pecado

and some examples of the ??? ones I've got:
    Biutiful - ????????
    Bunny and the Bull - ?????? ? ???
    Another Earth - ??????? ????
    The Amazing Spider-Man - ???? ??????-?????
    The Bourne Legacy - ?????? ?????
    The Dark Knight Rises - ?????? ????? ???????+????

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What you grab for Translated Title using IMDb depends on the country/language settings. If you select USA (default) when creating a new config using Setup Wizard, then you get the AKAs on IMDB for USA (sometimes there are English AKAs for English films - often 'working titles' , IMAX names etc.). If you are getting foreign language titles in Translated Title then check the Grabber override options on the Update tab in setup. You may need to post your MyFilms.xml config file for Guzzi to try and sort it out, or try using the Setup Wizard to create a new test config with a couple of the 'problem' movies first and test using that.

One of the best ways to debug yourself is to use the Grabber Engine - see Test Grabber in the wiki - it will show you exactly what is grabbed. I suspect one of the issues may be with the brackets in IMDb AKAs (e.g. 'Spider-Man 4 USA (working title)') That's why I asked what the raw data is in the database for Translated field, which you can check in your movie catalog (ie. AMC), or using AMCU View Movies tab if you don't use a catalog app. You answer implies that the raw data is ?????... so it's not just a display/sort issue in My Films, rather an issue with the grabber. So the Grabber Engine is the best way to test that. (I assume you have updated Grabbers and are using the latest versions :p and don't see any errors when you grab data via AMCU?)

The sort field is selected on the General Tab in Setup, (default is 'Formatted Title' IIRC). I think there is a way to do what you want - i.e. sort by English titles (either Original or Translated titles) but I have never done that, so can't help you much. Maybe some other users who have done that can. But, first we need to get the data sorted out before you can even try to sort by Translated Title. ;)

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, I'll have a play and see if I can work out what's going on. The ???? data I posted was directly from the AMC Translated Title field. The Sort by English Titles isn't really a major thing actually, as looking at my catalogue I have very few movies with obscure foreign titles ;)

The only errors I saw when updating last night were about zero-length data but I think they were all for offline movies and nothing to do with the ????? ones. I'd set AMCU updater to "only update when data isn't empty" so perhaps that had something to do with those errors.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, so using the Grabber Interface with IMDB.xml for The Amazing Spider-Man it gives the Translated Title as El Sorprendente Hombre Araña. Under User Options, the Secondary Title Country is blank by default but I get the same result if i set it to USA (UK isn't an option there). I checked for Grabber updates and it did update IMDB and IMDB-Full but I'm still getting the same results.

The Dark Knight Rises gives Batman: El caballero de la noche asciende
    The Bourne Legacy gives El legado Bourne

If I use IMDB-Full instead (I'm actually getting an Exception when changing grabbers in grabber config but it does seem to load OK once I close the error) I can set UK for both Preferred and Secondary Title country but then I get the following translated titles

The Bourne Legacy gives Спадок Борна
    The Dark Knight Rises gives Темний лицар поверта╓ться

Users who are viewing this thread