New NIC affecting network access (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

This is more of a Win7 issue than an MP issue, but I still cannot find any solution from Googling stuff this afternoon. The forum seems to be full of intelligent people, so I thought I would raise it here.

I have just installed a new Intel NIC in my server. I have had a long standing problem of not being able to get the onboard (Realtek) ethernet port to run at 1Gbps, so I have installed an new Intel PCIe card.

The old onboard NIC has been disabled in the BIOS, and the new Intel card is now running at 1.0Gbps ( :):):)) and with the same fixed IP address etc, that the (now disabled) onboard card used to have. Live TV streams fine to all the other clients etc, and they connect fine.

The only problem I have is that the new card / Win 7 has the network shown as "Unidentified Network" and I am unable to change this to the "Home" network. The "Unidentified Network" limits internet access, so Web EPG will not update ( and more troubling is that the server runs my VOIP phone network too... so no phone connection either )

Is there a way to change this network designation?

I'd be grateful for any assistance, and many thanks in advance for any solution to this.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    google for "win 7 Unidentified Network" shows lots of people asking the same question. Just curious have you tried doing a power down PC, power down router wait 10 seconds, power up router wait 1 minute so router is up, then power down up PC?

You could open a cmd.exe text window, type (no quotes) "ipconfig" will show current ip network configuration and IP address. "ipconfig /release" wait till done then "ipconfig /renew" should restart the ip configuration.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tips, I'll try later when the GF has gone to bed. I've tried all the power off stuff.

I did Google this issue but there does seem to be so many causes to this, and a huge variety of solutions, I thought I would ask on the forum as I do have a lot of faith in the devs and test group people.

I'll report back.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Do you use DHCP server somewhere (Router or so)? Looks like your IP is set for the old NIC and now there is a conflict as the new one has a different MAC...

If you don't set fixed IP in your router yourself you should shutdown all of your systems (incl router) and then start the router first. Wait until the router is finished, then start the server with new NIC. Now the issues should be gone and you can start all other systems in your network.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Open Control Panels
    Home Group
    Towards the Bottom Click on Change advanced share settings
    If your system is part of a home group, the problem is most likely you need to turn on
    Turn on network discovery
    I just went thru this just a day or so ago....
    HomeGroup.jpg

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Part of the problem was not being able to change from an "Unidentified network" to "Home network", it just wouldn't allow me to do it. After trying a number of things I found a small article on a Microsoft Support Forum >>here<<

I downloaded a small utility onto the server, and then ran it. Not sure what other stuff it did, but it changed the IP address to a number that isn't on my network. After running the script and turned everything off and on, and went back to the adapter and gave it a fixed IP address again. I could also change the network type too. The server has been running all night, and I have turned it on and off a few times this morning and I seem to be back to normal again... and still running at 1Gbps. Live TV seems more stable too. I used to get a bit of pixelation/picture break up on Live HD but that seems to have gone. My VOIP phone is also working too!

I suspect Lehmden was on the right path with the MAC address being different, and throwing Win 7 into confusion.

Once again, thanks to all who posted suggestions, I am grateful. If I could get you all a cold beer I would.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Looking at the msft link, the fixit.msi does something like "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" and forces windows to remove/reinstall TCP/IP. They also give a log file example with registry changes, forcing IP address = 10.1.1.X in a few places, and other changes.

Curious if you have a "resetlog.txt" file on your c drive? or maybe do a search. I wonder what it needed to fix to get TCP/IP back up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom