New plugin for browsing Danish online content (1 Viewer)

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
January 11, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi there.

I've just completed an early version of my very first MediaPortal-plugin (and very first program in C# ever). It's an online content viewer for Danish content (that currently supports content from "Danmarks Radio").

Please feel free to try this plugin and let me know what you think. I want to make it very clear that this is an alpha-version with known bugs. Anyway, please try it out and give me feedback.

"Online Arkiv - version 0.1"

Installation instructions:
- Download attached file and unzip it to a temporary folder.
- Move the files manually like this:
- "MyOnlineArchive.dll" goes to your plugin-folder (normally "C:\Programs\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Plugins\Windows").
- "MyOnlineArchive.xml" goes to your skin-folder (this skin is for BlueTwo-wide - so that is "C:\Programs\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Skin\BlueTwo wide")
- "dr.gif" goes to your skin/media-folder (that is: "C:\Programs\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Skin\BlueTwo wide").
- Run Configure (MediaPortal Setup) and go to MyPlugins and enable the plugin.
- Run MediaPortal and enjoy!
- Post feedback ;-)

PLEASE NOTE: This plugin is not another IPTV-plugin. It is not meant to be for streaming live content, but rather for browsing specific on-demand content from sites very well integrated into the plugin - i.e. not a generic plugin.

ALSO NOTE: This plugin will currently ONLY work for you, if you are connected to the Internet from a Danish ISP, as "Danmarks Radio" has blocked foreign IPs from streaming their content due to copyright reasons.

AND: You need at least a 2 Mbit/s connection to enjoy the full quality of ODP-content from the DR archive.

Known Bugs:
- A previously cached stream (i.e. cached in Media Player) will not play correctly. Audio will start, but the system hangs. MediaPortal needs a restart to recover from this. The temporary workaround is to clean your cache in WMP and delete temporary internet files in IE, when this problem occurs.

- After content has ended, the screen is black and needs the press of a button to go back to the main-screen.

Planned Improvements:
- Caching of information, so responsetime will be greatly improved.

- Better error handling (right now, there is none!).

- Finding more info sources to deliver information about shows (currently only few shows have a description).

- Support of more skins

- Support of more languages and string prefixes (i.e. My Online Archive).

Planned New Features:
- New archives:
- DR Radio
- TV2 (free content)
- Sputnik (if you pay)
- SBS (N, Kanal4, Kanal5)
- etc.

- Possibillity of storing content locally (download) and view it later from local computer.

The current version has been compiled and tested against the very latest SVN-build, so make sure you're up-to-date.

Regards
Lars

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Lars

This does indeed sound interesting for us Danish users of MP. :) So, it is great that you have started the development on this one.

I tried it and the plugin loads just fine. However, when I press the Update button, I get a popup with the message "Ikke i stand til at opdatere liste med indhold." (Danish for "Not able to update the list with content".)

I'm connected though TDC which delivers a 3 Mbit/s connection. The connection is run through a trustgate (Its a "work-at-home" connection in lack of better words), but that haven't been a problem before.

However, it must be noted that I'm NOT using the latest SVN, but the latest working with MyLyrics, which I fool around with in the sparetime I have. It's SVN #12465 from the 6th of January.

I hope this plugin envolves cause it indeed sound promising!

best regards
    Søren

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi.

Thank you for trying out my plugin. I'm sorry to hear you have problems. The SVN-version you use should do it. I just tested it and found no problems.
    So the issue is somewhere else. It might have something to do with the way you are connected. I will PM you later today, and let's see if we can find something out.

To other people viewing this thread: When (hopefully) we fix the problem and I'll release a new version, I'll update this thread.

Regards
    Lars

k15ke90

Portal Member
    January 12, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Gr8 plugin

Hi Lars,

Just downloaded the plugin and started watching "Frilandshaven" (Danish TV show about garden practice).

I'm soo looking forward to trying out Sputnik (whenever it comes) and maybe some other feature [I'd personally like to be able to record the shows ...].

Great work!

Regards,
    Henrik Neumann [Copenhagen]

rille

Portal Member
    December 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Excellent!

Hey Lars.
    Have tested your plugin, and I find it absolutely excellent.
    Im not much of a programmer, and have only lately gotten to know about MP.
    But if there´s any way I can help you, whit this plugin (testing, collecting graphics, ect.) just say so.

Great work, so far!
    This plugin is really needed...

/René

Nyll

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Lars

Great job. I have done a little bit of testing and I find the plugin very useful, although there are some minor grafical problems when I use the 4:3 skin.

Thanks a lot. Im looking forward to seeing this plugin developed further!

/Nyll

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ...although there are some minor grafical problems when I use the 4:3 skin.

I would imagine ;-) I only made a Wide-version of the skin, so it's really an usupported feature :D

But I promise a 4:3-version of the B2-skin in the upcoming release.

Besides that, the upcoming release features the radio-part of the DR archive, a major speed improvement (when updating list of content) as well as some minor fixes.

If there are any Danish skinners out there who would want to make this plugin supported by more skins, please do so - and please let me know, so I can write it on the list of "supported skins".

Regards

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

I know. It's on purpose. I think there are better ways to watch live IP TV streams in MediaPortal - and with the new plugins coming out for this purpose, I don't wanna add that same functionality here.

Lappen

Portal Member
    March 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Lars

Super super top nice plugin you've made - it's just what i needed. When reading your upcoming features in later releases, it's just going to be one hell of a plugin (well, if you're danish that is).

Keep up the good work - i'll be using your plugin every day and can't wait for your upcoming releases.

/Lappen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom