Newbie needing some help with HDHomerun Extend and scanning (1 Viewer)

vbtalent

Portal Member
March 14, 2010
I'm trying to get the MP TV-Server to scan my HDHomerun but I'm not having any success.

The HdhomeRun is listed as a server in the configuration but the "Service" dropdown box only lists Austria, Finland, Germany Norway and Sweden as options and nothing for the US so consequently the scan isn't working?? I'm assuming this is the issue?

What did I miss?

I could use some assistance please...

VB,

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

What you're describing sounds very odd. If you're in the US you should be doing an ATSC scan of some description, and the ATSC scan doesn't have a "service" drop down.
    Can you please post a screenshot of what you're looking at, and of your tuner list.

vbtalent

Portal Member
    March 14, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

I ran a scan with the HDHomerun software for the device and it appears to have scanned correctly, all the channels I would expect appear. I must admit I'm a bit confused on where I should be running the scan.

Is the device storing the channel information for MP usage or just for its own usage, not sure?

Does MP even care if I run the scan using the HDhomerun software... does it need to run its own scan?

I hope you can help...

VB,

Attachments

• SNAG-0028.jpg
      SNAG-0028.jpg
      88.5 KB
    • SNAG-0029.jpg
      SNAG-0029.jpg
      71.3 KB
    • SNAG-0030.jpg
      SNAG-0030.jpg
      59.2 KB
    • SNAG-0031.jpg
      SNAG-0031.jpg
      95.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the screenshots - they're perfect. (y)

First, to answer your questions...
    Is the device storing the channel information for MP usage or just for its own usage, not sure?
    As far as I know the device does not store the channel information.
    When you scan in the HDHomeRun software, the HDHomeRun software stores the information for its own usage.
    When you scan in TV Server (MP), TV Server stores the information for use in TV Server and any connected front end (MP, Kodi).

Does MP even care if I run the scan using the HDhomerun software... does it need to run its own scan?
    As alluded to above: TV Server (MP) needs to run its own scan. MP is completely unaware of the HDHomeRun software.

Now, with regard to your screenshots...
    The tuner list screenshot is very telling. It shows that TV Server has not detected your tuner, so it's no wonder you're having trouble figuring out where to scan! ;)

Why hasn't TV Server detected your tuner?
    That's a very good question.

First, in order for TV Server to detect your tuner, you must allow TV Server to access your network. Hopefully the reasons are obvious. When I say "allow", I mean that you need to ensure any security software that you're running (firewalls in particular) permit TV Server to use the network to communicate with the HDHomeRun.

Second, you probably need to configure the HDHomeRun software (I think it's HDHR Setup) appropriately. Somewhere in there is an application or profile setting. I don't know exactly what it's called now... but the setting should have a drop down list of HTPC software. You need to select MediaPortal in that list. After changing that setting you may need to restart the PC.

Hopefully you've overlooked one of the two items above, because otherwise I'm not sure what's wrong. Please let me know once you've checked.

vbtalent

Portal Member
    March 14, 2010
    Thanks again for the great information.

There is a setting in the HDhomerun as you pointe dout for BDA compatability and it is set to MediaPortal (see attached).

What should I see in the drop down on MP?

I've also considered a network related issue as you point out since this is a network device that makes sense but I couldn't find any information on the necessary ports, etc.. The machine is running XP and I have now turned off the firewall so my router is all that is left..

Do you know what ports the Homerun is operating on or what ports Media Portal is searching for?

I'm running DD-WRT on my router and was curious if maybe a port needed to be opened or another change may be necessary...

[edit]

As a side note I am able to view live TV via Kodi..

Attachments

• SNAG-0032.jpg
      SNAG-0032.jpg
      48.6 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

There is a setting in the HDhomerun as you pointe dout for BDA compatability and it is set to MediaPortal (see attached).
    That looks good.

Do you know what ports the Homerun is operating on or what ports Media Portal is searching for?
    I also have no idea which ports the HDHomeRun uses. This is something that is usually transparent to TV Server (MediaPortal). From a TV Server perspective the HDHomeRun looks just like any other tuner. In other words, TV Server doesn't actually know that the HDHomeRun is network-attached. I would have thought that taking down the firewall would have been sufficient if network access were the problem.

As a side note I am able to view live TV via Kodi.
    This doesn't really tell me anything, because MediaPortal and Kodi interface with the HDHomeRun in completely different ways.

The machine is running XP...
    This could be a crucial point.

I still run XP myself, and I have cause to install the HDHomeRun software on my PC. Therefore I'm aware that the latest HDHomeRun software cannot be installed on XP. The screenshot you posted does not look like it came from XP... so I feel there's a disconnect somewhere.

In case you weren't aware: TV Server (MediaPortal) won't be able to use the HDHomeRun unless the HDHomeRun software is installed on the PC that TV Server is installed on. Therefore, if you want to use your HDHomeRun with XP, you'll need to install an older version of the HDHomeRun software that is still compatible with XP. This may or may not be problematic given that you have an HDHomeRun Extend. I'm not sure if there is any XP-compatible version of the HDHomeRun software that fully supports the Extend's capabilities.

As far as I know, the last version of the HDHomeRun software which is XP-compatible is version 20141210. You won't find it linked anywhere on the SiliconDust website, but this link should work:
    http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_windows_20141210.exe

If I've understood the situation correctly, installing and configuring that on your XP machine should finally allow TV Server to see the tuner.

Regards,
    mm

vbtalent

Portal Member
    March 14, 2010
    I'm sorry I've mislead you about the OS on the PC MP is installed on it is not an XP box but a Windows 7 32bit OS, sorry about that.

Maybe there is a 32bit OS issue as well? (Just looked and it appears the MP is for both 32/64 bit)

My point about using Kodi was that another application was able to use the HDHomerun so I would assume this means the Router running DD-WRT may be in the clear...

VB,

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry I've mislead you about the OS on the PC MP is installed on it is not an XP box but a Windows 7 32bit OS, sorry about that.
    Okay. As long as the PC has the HDHR software installed on it... that is the key.

Maybe there is a 32bit OS issue as well? (Just looked and it appears the MP is for both 32/64 bit)
    From a TV Server + HDHomeRun perspective: there's no difference between 32 and 64 bit operating systems, apart from for the CableCARD models (which doesn't apply to you).

My point about using Kodi was that another application was able to use the HDHomerun so I would assume this means the Router running DD-WRT may be in the clear...
    I'm not familiar with DD-WRT, but I would assume the same.
    Another data point is that the HDHR software running on the same PC as TV Server is able to detect the HDHomeRun on the network.

Have you tried simply restarting the PC?
    I know it seems like a cliché, but it can really help for certain classes of problems.
    If that doesn't help, please could you post:
    1. Screenshots of each section/tab in HDHR Setup and HDHR Config from the PC that has TV Server installed on it.
    2. The TV Server log files:
      1. Open TV Server configuration.
      2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
      3. Zip all the files in that directory.
      4. Post/attach the zip file.
    Thanks in advance... :)

vbtalent

Portal Member
    March 14, 2010
    I just tried newly testing with MP and have attached a link to the log as requested.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, that's really helpful. (y)

The log files show that TV Server is actually detecting your tuners. It just can't work out what kind of tuner they are, so it doesn't display them in the tuner list.
    [collapse]
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,929] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Detected new digital BDA tuner device Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1051D171-0 @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1051D171-0
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,932] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - check type with MS NP
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,935] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - failed to connect to MS NP
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,939] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - check type with specific NPs
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,942] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - failed to connect to specific NP
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,945] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Detected new digital BDA tuner device Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1051D171-1 @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1051D171-1
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,948] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - check type with MS NP
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,951] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - failed to connect to MS NP
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,955] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - check type with specific NPs
    [2015-06-30 14:34:29,958] [Log ] [36 ] [DEBUG] - failed to connect to specific NP[/collapse]

Could you please post the screenshots that I also requested. This has never happened before with an HDHR, and I'd like to see if there are any new settings for the HDHR Extend which might be causing this problem.
    Screenshots of each section/tab in HDHR Setup and HDHR Config from the PC that has TV Server installed on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom