No TV Server Configuration (1 Viewer)

ldarms44

Portal Member
November 2, 2015
Huntsville, AL
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After I installed Media Portal 1, I do not have a TV Server Configuration Icon or file. Does anyone know what could have happened to it??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

The "icon or file" is only present if TV Server is installed, and TV Server is only installed if you choose the appropriate options during installation. Therefore I can only assume that the options you choose during installation did not require TV Server to be installed.

I suggest you uninstall and reinstall, and follow the installation guide if you're not sure which options to choose.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...talling_MediaPortal/1_Installer_(Deploy_Tool)

ldarms44

Portal Member
    November 2, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Home Country
    OK I reinstalled MP 1 and I got the MP TV Server Configuration Icon. I performed the MP configuration as far as the instructions told me. When I click on the MP TV Configuration the first thing that comes up is:

Setup database connections
    Connection settings
    Choices: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or My SQL 5
    If I choose My SQL 5 the test says: connection failed! Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts
    If I choose MS SQL Server 2005 the test says: Connection Error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. ---------(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error 26- Error locating Server/Instance Specified).

It won't let me go any further. What am I supposed to do now??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. TV Server needs a database to store all of its channel and schedule details. That's why you're being asked for database connection details. Under normal circumstances this should "just work".

Did you do a "one click" or "advanced" installation?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ions#Installation_Mode:_One_Click_vs_Advanced

If you selected "one click", the installer should have installed MySQL for you. Use Windows task manager to check if "mysqld.exe" is running. Note you will need to enable the option to view processes for all users.
    If mysqld.exe is running then I assume you have network/internet security software (ie. a firewall) which is preventing TV Server from connecting to the database. You must configure it to allow TV Server (TvService.exe) and TV Server Configuration (SetupTv.exe) to use your network.
    If mysqld.exe is not running then there is a problem with MySQL. I am not able to guess what might be wrong.

On the other hand, if you selected "advanced" you would have had the choice about which database to choose as shown here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_Advanced_Installation#Database_Server_(SQL)

Which option did you choose?

ldarms44

Portal Member
    November 2, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Home Country
    I selected Advanced because it said something about TV. Then when it came up to select a server I selected the last option because it said something about TV again. I know that is where I went wrong-I should have selected My SQL. The instructions don't tell you what to select and for a dummy like me I am just guessing!! Is there any way to get back to that frame where I can make the correct selection or do I have to uninstall and reinstall again?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I selected Advanced because it said something about TV.
    That's unnecessary. You could have simply said "yes" for the "use TV" choice:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...staller_(Deploy_Tool)/0_Select_Options#Use_TV

...and then selected one click. Done. Simple as that.

Then when it came up to select a server I selected the last option because it said something about TV again. I know that is where I went wrong-I should have selected My SQL.
    Yes, this was the wrong thing to do.

The instructions don't tell you what to select and for a dummy like me I am just guessing!!
    The wiki (manual) doesn't tell you what to select, but it does tell you the consequences of selecting each option. You're expected to be able to make the right choice for your scenario/setup. If you're finding this way too hard then you should consider whether MediaPortal is right for you, because this part is considered easy.

Is there any way to get back to that frame where I can make the correct selection or do I have to uninstall and reinstall again?
    You could manually install your own database server (either SQL Server or MySQL), but based on what you've said I'm guessing you'd find a database server installer to be a nightmare. Therefore I do suggest you uninstall and reinstall again.

ldarms44

Portal Member
    November 2, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Home Country
    First let me say I really do appreciate all the help you are giving me. First I uninstalled MP 1 and reinstalled it. Then I did what you said and clicked the simple one click. I clicked install on the list of applications and then the following error message came up:
    MediaPortal Deploy Tool -- Error
    X Failed to install application [MySQL 5.6]

I tried again and clicked advanced and the same error message came up. I tried a third time with my Kaspersky Internet Security firewall turned off-same error message. Do you have any suggestions now?? I can not believe this thing should be that hard to install.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you running the installer with administrative privileges (right click -> run as administrator)? If not try uninstalling and reinstalling again that way.

ldarms44

Portal Member
    November 2, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Home Country
    I guess I don't know what you mean when you say the "installer". When I unzip the download I get: MediaPortalSetup_1.12.0_Final.exe which does NOT have a right click "Run as Administrator". I run it and I have no other opportunity to right click anything and then it installs all the applications and after that i get the error message. So I don't know where you want me to right click!!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mm1352000 is referring to Windows controls: Instead of double-clicking the MediaPortalSetup...exe with the left mouse button, click once using the right mouse button. This will open a menu with sevetal entries, among which "Run as Administrator".

Users who are viewing this thread