[ATI] overscan issues --> solution (1 Viewer)

gordon55

Portal Member
September 12, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi2all,

maybe there are more folks like me who are pretty annoyed by the ugly overscan reset if you change the resolution either in CCC or by Windows or even by MP's automatic refresh rate changer. Everytime the overscan is reset so that you get a black frame, means no fullscreen.

After looking around in several forums, I found at least a workaround (see also CCC HDMI Underscan/Overscan settings not saving , last post dated 08/17/2010 03:34 PM )
------------------------
1) Explicitly select and apply the resolution and frequency (mode) you want to change: Right click on your desktop, select Screen Resolution. Select Advanced Settings. Select "List All Modes". Select and apply the mode you want.
2) Then open (or have open) CCC and set the overscan to 0.
3) After hitting apply in CCC, reboot immediately (don't change the resolution!)

If you repeat this process for all of the resolutions (AND frequencies) that you want to override the overscan on, it seems to save them (YEAH!)
-----------------------

I did that on my Vista32-HP-SP2 .... and works !! Then I found the relevant reg-keys.
  • CCC saves the resolutions under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{.....}\0000
    where the {....} is system specific.
  • f.e. the 1920x1080 with 50Hz is saved in binary key DALR6 DFPI 21920x1080x0x50
  • double-click the binary key for your resolution and look for "08" in line 020, then change it to "00"
  • do this with all saved resolutions and you'r done

What I finally did was seeting once the resolution and changed Overscan in CCC, then rebooted, then activated all other resolutions I am using and finally changed the reg-keys as described above.

Hoping this may help others as well.

MadMac

September 20, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Gordon,
thanks for this, it worked for me as well (XP Pro SP3 + Ati HD4350).

In fact, I encountered this problem twice over the last few month.

The first time, I got a grip on it by deleting the complete branch of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{.....}\0000 (backup or export first!)
and then doing a clean driver install (read that in another forum, but can't seem to find the link anymore).

My guess is, that if the keys you found are already present, CCC has problems saving the new setting, but if they're "blank" (your solution) or not there at all (deleting them) it saves correctly.

BTW, the second time, I used your solution, 'cause I didn't find the old link and was too lazy doing a really clean driver install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom