Playing WMC Recordings (1 Viewer)

Claude Wegloski

February 8, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I will be setting up MP soon as I will eventually move on from WMC. A question that I have is, will MP play OTA TV recordings made in WMC? I know future recording using MP will be a different format but I would like to be able to watch my current crop of WMC recordings after switching over to MP.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Recorded TV will only show files that are in the recorded tv database.
    Easiest way would be to move them to a separate folder and access them via shares views in Videos.
    Or, if they are shows that are in thetvdb.com, you could import them into MP TV Series (plug in)
    Or, as Skywizard says, for films, map them as movies.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I found that the WTV files were not recognised under recorded TV
    Apologies to the original poster; I should have mentioned that. :oops:

Easiest way would be to move them to a separate folder and access them via shares views in Videos.
    Yes, this is how I store my recorded TV. If a recording is not going to be watched within a week or so, I move it to a folder tree residing in the "Videos" section of MP. In the "Videos" section, WTV and DVR-MS files will play without problem (but see below).

I have since bitten the bullet and deleted all the old WTV files and have not missed them.
    I used Vista WMC for five years, and so had quite collection of DVR-MS files. Earlier releases of MP would play them, but not retain the resume point for partially watched files. So I decided to convert all of the DVR-MS files to TS files. I already had VideoReDo, which can perform this conversion, so it was a no-cost option for me. :)

If you have WTV files, it may or may not be possible to do the same. The possible problem that occurs to me is whether the WTV files have DRM (Digital Rights Management) restrictions. If they do, it may not be possible to convert them to TS files. Note that Windows 7 does have a built-in converter called "wtvconverter.exe", which can convert WTV files to DVR-MS, but only if those files have no DRM restrictions. Also, converting WTV to another format might result in the metadata (e.g. programme info) being thrown away. :(

There is a version of VideoReDo that can convert WTV files (not the version that I have!), but it may not be able to convert restricted WTV files. VideoReDo is not freeware.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will be setting up MP soon as I will eventually move on from WMC. A question that I have is, will MP play OTA TV recordings made in WMC? I know future recording using MP will be a different format but I would like to be able to watch my current crop of WMC recordings after switching over to MP.
    As you didn't explicitely mentioned if you like to use MP1 or MP2, I'd like to point you to this thread for MP2: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/add-mce-recording-support-to-mp2-wtv-dvr-ms.131082/.

In short, WTV is there also supported inside "recordings" section of MP2. This feature is included in all newer builds, but I recommend to use the latest weekly build if you like to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom