Please release an update (1 Viewer)

dvgeek

Portal Pro
November 16, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Please, please release an update that works with 1.7

Specially now that Moving Pictures has posted an update for 1.7 - I'm going green with envy - feeling helpless not able to install My Films.

TIA

Calsi

Portal Pro
May 4, 2013
Home Country
Bermuda Bermuda
You're kidding, these guys have'nt released an update for 1.6 yet. I am also a fan of My Films and am waiting anxiously for an update. I have been using Moving Pictures, but it is not as good as My Films and hope they can get going.

z3us

Portal Pro
December 4, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
Correction: is not "these guys", it´s "this guy", Guzzi. And has a private life, more important than developing MyFilms for free. So the update will be released when it´s done.
What´s more important for u? Updating MP or using MyFilms? I´m still using MP 1.5 and I won´t update it until a compatible version of MF would be available.

Calsi

Portal Pro
May 4, 2013
Home Country
Bermuda Bermuda
z3us,
Hey, I didn't mean to offend anyone and didn't realize that Guzzi was a one man band. My apologies to him. Apparently lots of user prefer My Films over Moving Pictures and are still looking for his update. Maybe he should setup a donation scheme or get some help, hoping that would help his cause.
Hats off to you Guzzi, its a great Plugin.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What's so special to MyFilms and so much better than MovinPictures? MyFilms is looking really difficult to use, and is never working immediatly in my case.. I never het it.. Just let MovingPictures looking for Movies in one or more specific folder(s) and you're done..

catalpa

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    >MyFilms is looking really difficult to use
    yes, it takes a while

I have used MP for 2-3 years, but i was never contented with it. It's because the automatism of scraping never worked 100% in my opinion
    and the database handling is was very poor. MyFilms let me edit the database by AMC or ANT or other tools. To find bugs or to fill empty
    fields is easy.

peram1

Portal Member
    July 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    ... The most valuable feature is the ability to edit the database by AMC or ANT or other tools as @catalpa mentioned.
    INDEED ! major advantage of MyFilms against moving pictures is its capability of maintaining/adding/deleting movies WITHOUT MP or any other plugin ... just edit an xml file with ANT and copy it to a directory and you are done - works like a charm for me - no other so called more or less "automatic" solution was powerful enough doing this without hazzle ...
    so after more than 2 months after 1.6 and now 1.7pre without any update I am NO MORE satisfied with "So the update will be released when it´s done." At least I'd expect a statement what kind of help would be needed to go on (we all have a private life and are doing lots of things for free) ... OR someone to officially state that Myfilms is history ... then everybody can start looking for alternatives ...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What's so special to MyFilms and so much better than MovinPictures? MyFilms is looking really difficult to use, and is never working immediatly in my case.. I never het it.. Just let MovingPictures looking for Movies in one or more specific folder(s) and you're done..
    Yes it might seem difficult at first, especially if you have never used a desktop movie catalog/database. IMO what makes MyFilms unique is that it is data/database oriented. MovPics (and MyVideos) db are mainly backends to make your movies available in MP. MF is totally opposite - focus is on database/data management and lets you use your databases within MP. So, if you have a movie catalog already with a media library of thousands of films (like millions of film buffs do), with already customized data, it takes less than 5 min to start using it in MP via MF. Because of its focus, My Films gives you many of the same features a movie catalog does within the MP GUI , like view/sort/search by any field, relational searches, update by field(s) to mention just a few. And as others have mentioned, MyFilms gives you the option to use either Ant Movie Catalog (AMC) or any of 12+ other apps to manage your database. Here's just a few of the unique features of MF:
    • Easy Setup - My Films is one of the few plugins that offers a Setup Wizard - if you are happy with default settings it takes 2 min.
    • Advanced and Batch/Global Updates to your data by record/group of records or by field or group of fields
    • Network Support - all clients can use the same database located wherever you wish such as on a NAS
    • Performance - designed for large movie collections and tested on 10K movies
    • Multiple Databases - as many as you wish - easily switchable within My Films GUI
    • Multiple Configurations (e.g. User profiles) for the same database you can select different settings for each user
    • Multi-user - track watched status, date watched, user ratings (and thus favorites) per user
    • Fanart and Cover options - to download and select the images you prefer to use
    • Views and Views Menu - create, filter, customize views however you wish even within My Films GUI
    • Advanced Search - including 'context' searches to find related films by person, or any field for that matter!
    • Local Trailers - you can link locally stored trailers with your movie and even play them back in 'cinema' mode
    • Custom Display - select which fields you wish to display and where (5 on main screen, 6 others on Details)
    • Settings In GUI - most options can be selected or changed easily without needing to use Setup/Configuration
    Yes you can do some of the same things using Moving Pictures if you install several add-ons, and spend a ton of time figuring out advanced settings and workarounds for a centralized DB. Why would you when MF offers them out of the box?

So short answer ;) is, if you only want to see your movies in MP and don't care about quality or consistency or customization of your metadata, then yes MovPics looks easy at first. But if you spend a bit of time at first learning how to setup MyFilms exactly how YOU want, you will never regret it, and will end up weeping like the MF users do when a new version isn't available. :cry:

It's a bit like asking why spend the time to set up MP when WMC (or XBMC) is 'easier' :p

And I can't help wonder why MovPics users are always so defensive and competitive? If you pick the app that suits your needs, and it works well for you, why question others who have different/more complex/advanced needs? :rolleyes: Personally I am 'pro choice' LOL

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    so after more than 2 months after 1.6 and now 1.7pre without any update I am NO MORE satisfied with "So the update will be released when it´s done." At least I'd expect a statement what kind of help would be needed to go on (we all have a private life and are doing lots of things for free) ... OR someone to officially state that Myfilms is history ... then everybody can start looking for alternatives ...
    @Guzzi has stated in other threads - and I have tested a MP 1.6 compatible version which @infinite.loop has also tested with MP 1.7, but there is a major bug (which can totally screw up your config so don't ask for it!) But NO MyFilms is not history. (you can always track development on http://code.google.com/p/my-films/source/list)

Why has it taken so long? Besides 'real life', MF is a bit more complex than many other MP plugins and requires a great deal more work from Guzzi to update his environment - and he ran into a ton of issues with MP 1.6 :(. TBH some MP plugins just ignore compatibility (don't indicate all dependencies) and release versions with bugs then fix them up later/next release. That's not Guzzi's style ;). Plus he has been trying to find ways to reduce the dependencies on MP subsystems to make updates easier in future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread