plugin for system shutdown after timed recording? (1 Viewer)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello again! I'm happy to be able to report that MP 1.15 seems to be working perfectly. I'm now able to do timed recordings without any difficulty. However, I would like to be able to have the system shut down after completing a recording if necessary. Can the Power Scheduler do this for me? If not, is there a separate plugin that can do this? Thanks in advance!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    However, I would like to be able to have the system shut down after completing a recording if necessary.
    There may be some confusion over terminology:

SHUTDOWN -- Most people use this to mean that the PC is switched off completely, and you have to press the POWER button on the system unit to wake it and cause Windows to boot. Windows is not able to wake the system from this state to perform recordings.

HIBERNATE -- The system is in an almost-off power state. The system must remain connected to the electric mains, but it consumes very little power (less than 1 watt). Windows can wake the system to perform recordings. On my system (I use hibernation), the wake-up sequence takes around 45 seconds.

SLEEP -- The system remains powered on, but with the screen, disks, and fans switched off. Power consumption depends on the specifics of your PC, but could be up to 10 watts. Windows can wake the system to perform recordings. On my system, the wake-up sequence takes around 3 seconds.

The simplest to use is sleep, and PowerScheduler can be set up to use this. Hibernation is trickier to get working in a useable fashion (so I would not recommend it for a beginner).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hmmm--I guess "sleep" would be the best option, then. I just wish there were an option to go into sleep mode automatically after recording an individual program or series episode. PowerScheduler doesn't seem to offer that. My problem is that there are several different programs I want to record, but whose broadcast times are only 2 or 3 hours apart. Being able to set up an "automatic sleep after recording episode" would be a real help!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Being able to set up an "automatic sleep after recording episode" would be a real help!
    Because I use hibernation, I use my own really weird system, so I am not that familiar with the precise details of using PowerScheduler. But I think that in essence you define a relatively short time interval for the "sleep timeout". This is the time that the system runs without user intervention before sleeping. Typically it might be 15 minutes.

So, if you boot Windows, and leave it on the desktop without user intervention. the system would sleep after 15 minutes. If the system woke to perform an unattended recording, after that recording had finished, the system would sleep after a further 15 minutes had elapsed.

The sleep timeout is a property of the power plan that you are using. You can define that via Windows' "Control Panel". You may be able to persuade PowerScheduler to do that for you, by making appropriate selections.

If you currently have PowerScheduler set to "expert mode", edit your power plan via "Control Panel", enable sleep, and set the sleep timeout to 15 minutes (or whatever timeout you want).

If you currently have PowerScheduler set to "non-expert mode", look through each of the tabs to see if there is somewhere where you can select sleep as the power-down action, and specify the sleep timeout.

One other point -- you may need to stop playback and/or exit MediaPortal before pressing the POWER button on your remote control to send the system to sleep. If you leave playback running (e.g. live TV), it may stop the system sleeping (I am not sure about that, as I always exit to the desktop before hibernating my system).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, what CyberSimian said. :)
    It's definitely possible to do what you want. You just have to take a bit of time to configure the Windows and PS settings.

The first tab in the PS settings has a "put the computer to sleep after" setting which is probably what you need to change:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ower_Scheduler/2_Server_Configuration#General

That may even be the only thing you have to change.

[edit: Don't forget to click "apply" after making any changes to PS settings. Also, you need to stay with PS expert mode, as previously discussed.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    One other point: you probably need also to enable "Away Mode" (I think that it is disabled by default). "Away Mode" is another setting in the power plan, which you can get to via the power plan's "Advanced Settings". You will need to rummage through all of the settings to find where it is, as I don't remember exactly where it is located (and I am posting from a WinXP system, which does not offer the "Away Mode" setting).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My two cents:

Although you can do what has been suggested here, you can keep things even simpler. You need neither "Away mode" nor do you have to activate "Put computer to sleep after". All that you have to do is to let PS handle the standard standby when the PC is idle, e.g. set to 10 minutes. The computer will then enter standby or hibernation - whatever you have defined under WIndows - 10 minutes after having become idle. In the case of a recording 10 minutes after the recording has ended.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My two cents:

Although you can do what has been suggested here, you can keep things even simpler. You need neither "Away mode" nor do you have to activate "Put computer to sleep after". All that you have to do is to let PS handle the standard standby when the PC is idle, e.g. set to 10 minutes. The computer will then enter standby or hibernation - whatever you have defined under WIndows - 10 minutes after having become idle. In the case of a recording 10 minutes after the recording has ended.

That will work when MP is running but, and this is from memory when I gave it a try, with MP closed it will not check for Windows system activity, for example an image backup or long download, so could go to sleep or whatever, in the middle of something important:eek:. As mentioned this is from memory of some testing I did some while ago so may not be gospel.:unsure:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    joecrow,

by "MP closed" you refer to the client part. On a client-only setup standby will be controled by Windows only if MediaPortal is not running. If your system is shutting down "in the middle of something important" it would be due to your Windows settings.

On systems, which run the MP server part, standby is controled by the TV Server service (if PowerScheduler is activated). If the system is not a dedicated HTPC, further tweaking is required, e.g. the definition of a network activity threshold and/or adding process names to the list of activities that should prevent standby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom