[Plugin] MPSync - MediaPortal multi-seat Synchronization (3 Viewers)

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Is the new version to solve the 'waiting for background tasks to finish' error?

I've just installed MPSync on my new Mediaportal setup and see the same error (using 1.6)

@swifty. The waiting error results from some corruption in the intermediary databases. Delete the server databases and restart the synchronisation from the master. This should sort the issue.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have so far tried - deleting the mpsync 'copy' of my DB's at the server, recreating the VideoDatabaseV5.db3 file, and removing all databases from the client and syncing fresh.
    Each time I sync at the client it says it's started a background work trigger thread on VideoDatabaseV5, then just repeats MPSync: [checkTriggers] waiting for background threads to finish...

I _think_ I've got everything setup correctly.. but just in case;

Server PC (Also hosts the media) - 'Client' path set to D:\CentralDB (which is on a shared drive mounted at each client), 'Server' path set to 'C:\Programdata\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal\database', Sync arrow pointing upward (ie. Server to client)
    Client PC (Has 'D:\' from the server, mapped to local drive letter D:\) - 'Client' path set to C:\Programdata\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal\database', 'Server' path set to 'D:\CentralDB', Sync arrow pointing upward (ie. Server to client)

Any ideas what I've done wrong?
    I'm using MP1.6 and MPSync 1.0.0.9.

Thanks!

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    @swifty, the Server PC should have it's "arrow" pointing from client (which is it MediaPortal installation database C:\Programdata\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal\database) to the central repository (in your case D:\CentralDB). This way, anything updated on the server/master pc is then replicated to the central repository where clients can then replicate from.

Can you change this setting and give it another try.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Thanks, that makes sense when I think about it :)

I've just tried and still the same thing, it syncs fine at the server (ie. to the local copy) but at the client the sync sticks at 'waiting for background threads to finish'

I have just deleted everything at the server from the 'database' folder and let it re-create clean copies (that are empty).
    Done the same at the client, and clicked sync and it still does the same thing. :(

I must be missing something....

I assume it couldn't be down to me running Windows 8.1 ?

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    @swifty. Can you try this one last thing on the client pc. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal (remove x86 if you are running 32bit) and delete file System.Data.SQLite.dll. Once you do this, re-install MPSync on the client and give it another go.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    @m3rcury Thanks for your reply.
    I tried out your suggestion and it still did the same.

So I installed MePo 1.6 on my laptop, and setup the same skin/plugins as my main HTPC, then installed MpSync and configured it the same.
    On my laptop it worked fine, so I guess there is something different with the MePo install (even though they are the same versions) or it is because I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows 8.1 on the HTPC..

I will try again tonight and see what I can find - is there any way to get more verbose logging on top of the 'debug' log? - eg. what the exact task it is that it's waiting for?

Cheers

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Well, I'm still having no luck getting this plugin to work :(

I have now got past the error I was seeing on the Windows 8.1 machine, I just rebooted it and it started to work, so I guess there was some file lock or something that was stopping it from working.

But... now I am seeing '[getDBInfo] waiting for background threads to finish...' at my 'master' PC :(
    I have removed all databases (even the actual databases from the master PC) and rescanned everything back in using Moving Pictures etc..
    But it still gives exactly the same error and at the 'copy' location on the master PC the target database/thumbs folders remain totally empty.

EDIT: Ok, so I just uninstalled the plugin at the master, and re-installed it. After it installed, it opened up the configuration window (which had remembered my settings) I hit sync now and it worked...
    Side note - With Debug on, the message window seems to reach a limit of so many messages and stops outputting.
    I checked the mpsync.log to determine if the sync had finished, then closed the GUI.
    I opened Mediaportal Config and when to the plugin config and hit sync again - now it's back the '[getDBInfo] waiting..' error :(

Last edited:

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    So I figured out one of the problems last night, the sqlite.DLL on the server was ~200kb larger than it should have been.
    I deleted it and reinstalled the plugin and the one it put back was ~800kb, whereas the previous one was just over 1mb.

So its now syncing at the server too... However I now see new problems.
    At the server mptvseries is configured to scan at startup and watch for new files.
    Even though I had this disabled at the client it seems to have synced the setting so its turned on.
    Also I tried marking a show as watched, then checked the client but it hasn't changed there..

Will try and get some logs tonight.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    I have taken logs from the master and client and a copy of the 'centralDB' folder - hopefully these can tell you something as I really would love to use this plugin but at the moment I just can't get it working.

Sequence of events for the logs attached;
    - master databases copied manually to the central DB folder and to the client local database folder.
    - Mediaportal started at the master PC (MpTVSeries starts a scan after 30 secs)
    - Mediaportal config started at the client and disabled the startup scan for MpTVSeries and then started Mediaportal.
    - All American dad marked as watched via the 'client' - checked at the 'master' no change, it shows as unwatched..
    - All Band of Brothers marked as watched via the 'master' - checked the 'client' no change, it shows as unwatched..

I found this morning that at my master the mptvseries shows 'no items!' when I entered it, but was OK after a restart of Mediaportal, no idea if that has anything to do with the plugin or not.. but I've seen this several times at the client after it does a sync.
    Interestingly the database is always still around 17mb even when it reports no items.

Attachments

• Database.zip
      5.6 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom