[Plugin] MPSync - MediaPortal multi-seat Synchronization (6 Viewers)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was just setting up Mpsync on a third system, and I didn't get it to work.
    Somehow, when I wanted to sync folders, mpsync wouldn't remember them for some reason, and it went in an infinite loop (don't know exactly which, didn't enable debug logging).
    Could very well be that I messed it up a bit, will dive into that when a more urgent problem is solved.

Don't know how I got it as it is right now, but when I sync my (master)client to my server it doesn't get out of the loop
    Code:
    [DEBUG] MPSync: [Process_DB_folder] waiting for background threads to finish... 1 threads remaining processing {movingpictures.db3}.

You said a couple of pages earlier that when that was the case, that probably one of the databases (actually I only sync movingpictures) is corrupt, and deleting it from the server and syncing again would solve the problem.
    When I did that, I got a lot of errors that tables and such could not be found, and a movingpictures.db3 with filesize 0.

Then I thought to be clever and manually copied the movingpictures.db3 from the (master)client to the server, and did a sync again. This resulted in the same (infinite?) loop of waiting for background threads to finish.

Any ideas?

Edit: Moving pictures doesn't seem to have any problem running on my (master)client, so does that mean that at least my source database isn't corrupt?
    Edit2: renamed server/nas to more appropriate terms. In this described case, I'm syncing from (master)client to server

Attachments

• MPSync.xml
      1.6 KB
    Last edited:

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    I was just setting up Mpsync on a third system, and I didn't get it to work.
    Somehow, when I wanted to sync folders, mpsync wouldn't remember them for some reason, and it went in an infinite loop (don't know exactly which, didn't enable debug logging).
    Could very well be that I messed it up a bit, will dive into that when a more urgent problem is solved.

Don't know how I got it as it is right now, but when I sync my (master)client to my server it doesn't get out of the loop
    Code:
    [DEBUG] MPSync: [Process_DB_folder] waiting for background threads to finish... 1 threads remaining processing {movingpictures.db3}.

You said a couple of pages earlier that when that was the case, that probably one of the databases (actually I only sync movingpictures) is corrupt, and deleting it from the server and syncing again would solve the problem.
    When I did that, I got a lot of errors that tables and such could not be found, and a movingpictures.db3 with filesize 0.

Then I thought to be clever and manually copied the movingpictures.db3 from the (master)client to the server, and did a sync again. This resulted in the same (infinite?) loop of waiting for background threads to finish.

Any ideas?

Edit: Moving pictures doesn't seem to have any problem running on my (master)client, so does that mean that at least my source database isn't corrupt?
    Edit2: renamed server/nas to more appropriate terms. In this described case, I'm syncing from (master)client to server

@doskabouter. It seems there might be an issue with synchronisation using Timestamp as looking into logs, the synchronisation completed successfully and for some reason, it kept on waiting... Can you give it a try using Triggers (which is more efficient and less taxing on the system) to see if the sync works to a finish?

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That seems to do the trick, thanks!

Are there any drawbacks using triggers, and should I also use them to sync the other (non-master) clients?

Now for installing it on that third system...

Edit:
    Ok, now I've installed on my third system, and there it synced successfully after switching to triggers.
    However, despite unchecking "Synchronize watched status betwwen clients", the resume* columns in the user_movie_settings are still overwritten (I can't continue a partly watched movie anymore), is this something that can be solved? It's the one dealbreaker for switching to moving pictures for me...

Last edited:

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    That seems to do the trick, thanks!

Are there any drawbacks using triggers, and should I also use them to sync the other (non-master) clients?

Now for installing it on that third system...

Edit:
    Ok, now I've installed on my third system, and there it synced successfully after switching to triggers.
    However, despite unchecking "Synchronize watched status betwwen clients", the resume* columns in the user_movie_settings are still overwritten (I can't continue a partly watched movie anymore), is this something that can be solved? It's the one dealbreaker for switching to moving pictures for me...

@doskabouter. The resume movie should work fine. I've tried it and didn't have issue. You need to wait a bit though for the update to take place, i.e. from the HTPC you were originally watching to the server and then from the server to the other HTPC you want to continue watching the movie.

Can you please upload or pm you logs and MPSync*.xml files

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think I didn't explain the situation here as clear as I could, but the way I have it here is that on my devpc I arrange all the movies, select thumbs etc and push that database to central storage. From there I pull the database to the main htpc, and I don't want the resume values present on the main htpc to be overwritten. Hence I unchecked "Synchronize watched status betwwen clients" hoping it would leave the values stored on the htpc untouched.

Is that how it should work? If so I'll do a complete fresh testrun and I'll pm you the logs, and if you want, I can include the databases as well

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    I think I didn't explain the situation here as clear as I could, but the way I have it here is that on my devpc I arrange all the movies, select thumbs etc and push that database to central storage. From there I pull the database to the main htpc, and I don't want the resume values present on the main htpc to be overwritten. Hence I unchecked "Synchronize watched status betwwen clients" hoping it would leave the values stored on the htpc untouched.

Is that how it should work? If so I'll do a complete fresh testrun and I'll pm you the logs, and if you want, I can include the databases as well

@doskabouter. This is how it should work.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, after doing a clean testrun with all the intermediate logs/databases etc, I suddenly saw that it was just working as expected, so eiher there was some magic update :) or I possibly messed up yesterday (either by accidentally starting moving pictures config, or pressing escape in moving pictures after getting the "play from the beginning of from where you left of" dialog...)

I'll keep an eye on things and when this issue pops up again, I'll investigate first before complaining :)

Edit: Now I've run it on the main htpc and I do see some strangeness, perhaps you can elaborate:
    There I have also enabled thumbs (Specific folders) synchronization, and that one never seems to complete (mpsync.xml,log attached) the db part does complete, but the thumbs don't, and I don't see any logging about that.

Also when I open mpsync config, navigate to the Folders tab, selecting the "thumbs" item in the Folder List, and then Edit, both paths are empty. I have checked the folders as they are present in the mpsync.xml and they are valid and accessible for the user running mpsync.

Attachments

• MPSync.xml
      1.5 KB
    Last edited:

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Well, after doing a clean testrun with all the intermediate logs/databases etc, I suddenly saw that it was just working as expected, so eiher there was some magic update :) or I possibly messed up yesterday (either by accidentally starting moving pictures config, or pressing escape in moving pictures after getting the "play from the beginning of from where you left of" dialog...)

I'll keep an eye on things and when this issue pops up again, I'll investigate first before complaining :)

Edit: Now I've run it on the main htpc and I do see some strangeness, perhaps you can elaborate:
    There I have also enabled thumbs (Specific folders) synchronization, and that one never seems to complete (mpsync.xml,log attached) the db part does complete, but the thumbs don't, and I don't see any logging about that.

Also when I open mpsync config, navigate to the Folders tab, selecting the "thumbs" item in the Folder List, and then Edit, both paths are empty. I have checked the folders as they are present in the mpsync.xml and they are valid and accessible for the user running mpsync.

@doskabouter. For file synchronisation you should find a separate xml for every path you configure. See if you find MPSync_XXXX.xml (XXXX being your folder name.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks, that could explain a lot.
    I've never seen those files myself, but that's probably because I've always just updated the plugin, and my suspicion is that these files were added some versions ago and the update process doesn't create them automatically.

Now (at least on one client) sync works as expected, so thanks for your help!

Flo70

Portal Member
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey m3rcury,

I have a rather odd problem with file synchronisation: I replicate my thumbs-folder from a master HTPC to my dedicated TV-Server. From time to time espacially the tv-logos get corrupted in the Synchronisation target and end up as 0-byte files. MPSync obviously only checks name and timestamp but not filesize - so the corrupted files sit there until I delete them on the target.
    Is there a easy way to circumvent this?

Best regards,
    Flo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom