Plugin suggestion: Run exectuable on channel change (1 Viewer)

optimalt

Portal Member
August 19, 2011
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I get live-tv in MP through capture cards (Hauppague Colossus) connected to set top boxes. It would be relly nice if there was a TV-server plugin that reacted on the channel change event in the TV-server and ran an executable (.bat/.exe) with the channel name/number as a parameter. That would give me (and hopefully others) much better contol over the channel changes. For example you could use the plugin to generate an event in eventghost and control the STB with a blaster which works in Eventghost (and of course do a lot of other stuff i you want).

I have tried the ServerBlaster-plugin, but it only supports the Hauppague IR Blaster which I find unreliable. I briefly tried the IRSS but it was complicated to set up and I never got a grip on how it works.

I think that the Plugin Events section in the wiki could be a good help to anybody who would be interested in developing such a plugin:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ent/TV-Server/TV-Server_Plugins/Plugin_Events

Also, NextPVR has an option to trigger an exceutable on channel change which works really good:
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Config/ChannelChanger

Hopefully someone more than me are interested in this plugin :)

Thank you!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Somebody else proposed the same idea about 1 year ago. I liked it so much that I decided to add the feature (built-in; no plugin required) in TVE 3.5. Currently the code is present but there's no user interface to configure the EXE location etc. In general I intend to improve blaster support a lot over time...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hah! thats nice!

If I start using tv-server again I'm sure I'll be using that feature :p

I currently only watch downloaded video :D

optimalt

Portal Member
    August 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Somebody else proposed the same idea about 1 year ago. I liked it so much that I decided to add the feature (built-in; no plugin required) in TVE 3.5. Currently the code is present but there's no user interface to configure the EXE location etc. In general I intend to improve blaster support a lot over time...

It sounds great that it is possible to run an executable on channel change in TVE 3.5! I think I will try MP2 for this reason only.

However (at least as I understand it), for now TVE 3.5 can't be used by MP1, Kodi, Emby or any client except MP2 until someone writes add-ons for these clients (personally I use MP1, Kodi and Emby).

Given that you have managed to create this feature in TVE 3.5, is there any way you could find time to make such a plugin for TVE 3? That would be very much appreciated - at least from me :). Of course, I completely understand if you are reluctant to do this - reading this thread I understand you already have much on your plate as the only developer of TVE 3.5: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tve3-5-for-mp1.129997)

Thank you!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It sounds great that it is possible to run an executable on channel change in TVE 3.5! I think I will try MP2 for this reason only.
    Sure, give it a shot... but expect a few hickups. TVE 3.5 is a work in progress, as is MP2.

However (at least as I understand it), for now TVE 3.5 can't be used by MP1, Kodi, Emby or any client except MP2 until someone writes add-ons for these clients (personally I use MP1, Kodi and Emby).
    That's correct.

Given that you have managed to create this feature in TVE 3.5, is there any way you could find time to make such a plugin for TVE 3? That would be very much appreciated - at least from me :). Of course, I completely understand if you are reluctant to do this - reading this thread I understand you already have much on your plate as the only developer of TVE 3.5: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tve3-5-for-mp1.129997)
    Sorry, I'm not able to do this in the foreseeable future.

Nervesagent

Portal Pro
    February 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It can be done in a messy way...using VODSERVER.
    If you edit the play.xml file in such a way that it will display your channel (or a dummy mp4 file) and run an executable.
    I tried describing the way I did it in this topic
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...internet-streams-as-tv-channels.121732/page-7

I was able to run vlc when switching to a certain channel, but since I had no dummy mp4 running in the background, timeshifting gave me an error. Like I said.. it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom