Power Scheduler blocks sleep command while recording, but not for other criteria (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Perhaps this is intended, or perhaps it has always been this way, but I just noticed recently that, although Power Scheduler (correctly) blocks a "sleep" command (from remote) when recording is in progress, it doesn't seem to prevent such a command from taking effect when other blocking criteria are present, e.g.:
    • Applications running which are listed under "Processes which should prevent standby" (in TV Server Config.)
    • MP client is not running and "Only allow standby on home window" is checked. (in MP config)
    • Substantial network activity is taking place and "Do not put the computer to sleep while the network is active" is checked ( in TV Server Config),
    Is this the intended behaviour?

I would expect / like these criteria to prevent sleep / standby / shutdown regardless of whether the command results from an idle timeout or from a remote command.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My brother seems to be having trouble with this as well. He uses a Raspberry Pi to watch media stored on his PC, so I've set the PS network activity monitor to 50KB/s but from what he tells me, it was still going to sleep, or at least when he paused or finished watching something it would go to sleep almost instantly, so PS doesn't seem to be resetting the idle timeout when there's network activity.

He's had to set Windows sleep timer to 2 hours to try and avoid the problem but then of course his PC doesn't go to sleep for ages when he'd actually like it to, so he'd like to set it to something like 20 minutes but have PS reset this timer when there's network activity. Maybe someone knows of some other utility that will do this?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    My brother seems to be having trouble with this as well. He uses a Raspberry Pi to watch media stored on his PC, so I've set the PS network activity monitor to 50KB/s but from what he tells me, it was still going to sleep, or at least when he paused or finished watching something it would go to sleep almost instantly, so PS doesn't seem to be resetting the idle timeout when there's network activity.

He's had to set Windows sleep timer to 2 hours to try and avoid the problem but then of course his PC doesn't go to sleep for ages when he'd actually like it to, so he'd like to set it to something like 20 minutes but have PS reset this timer when there's network activity. Maybe someone knows of some other utility that will do this?

Why do not use the pingmonitor tab of the PS? It will ping the host and prevent the standby until it is online.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    @doveman
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing here. For me, Power Scheduler reliably prevents the HTPC from going to sleep spontaneously ("idle timeout" in my post above) when I don't want it to.

I would expect the MCE Remote "Power Off" command (which is configured in Windows Power Management to sleep) to be handled in the same way. At least, while a recording is in progress, the remote "Power Off" command does not put the HTPC to sleep. I have attached debug logs of a simple case, where I issue the remote command while two applications which I have configured in Power Scheduler to prevent sleep are running, and one of them is performing an extensive copy over the network. As I understand it, any one of these three conditions alone should prevent sleeping, but in this case, the HTPC went to sleep when I issued the remote command, and had to be reawakened to complete the trace.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why do not use the pingmonitor tab of the PS? It will ping the host and prevent the standby until it is online.

You mean ping the Raspberry Pi? That's pretty much always left on, so the PC would never sleep if he did that.[DOUBLEPOST=1418165947][/DOUBLEPOST]
    @doveman
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing here. For me, Power Scheduler reliably prevents the HTPC from going to sleep spontaneously ("idle timeout" in my post above) when I don't want it to.

Ah sorry, yes I can see I misunderstood your post now on re-reading it. I'll start my own thread and stop cluttering up yours :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom