Ongoing Powerfull enough system for MP, CoreAVC & HD 1080P (1 Viewer)

skare

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2004
    Vejle
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi

I'm just about to buy a new system. It's going to be using MP I, of course :p , and CoreAVC.

I will need to be decoding 1080P from DVB-S2 and also from .mkv files.

I'm thinking about using a system that looks something like this:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5600
    2048 MB DDR2
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Is the CPU powerfull enough for running 1080P and what about Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 for Mediaportal.

Anyone with systems out there that looks a bit like this, who can give me any advice? :D

Regards Skare

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Since you are going to use CoreAVC (software decoder), all gfx that are DX9 capable should work fine. I am quite confident that the CPU you list will do this well (I can't verify for sure), since later CoreAVC are even more CPU effective (from what I've read).

I wonder why everybody is talking about 1080P-decoding. One should think that 1080i was more difficult for the HTPC, due to a LOT of deinterlacing.

skare

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2004
    Vejle
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for your answer. If anybody out there got any more comments please come forward :)

If you have a HDTV capable of showing 1080P I think this would preferable compared to 1080i, so this might be why peope are focusing more on 1080P but just IMHO

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This setup should work, be aware of your memory since both your cpu and your gpu are fishing in the same pond here. you might run in to decreased framerates in demanding scenes. If upgrading to a dedicated gpu is notpossible you might wanna consider 4 gb.

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    An empty desk could be a sign of inactivity! But other than that I think 4gb could save the day here and it doesn't cost much, codecs are vital. Remember, when istalling codecs. Just haai, vsfilter, ffdshow(tv upscale) and coreavc (h264) will do the job!

outlive

Portal Member
    January 22, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    why are people recommending more then 1gb - even for 1080p decoding 512mb is more then enough!
    also - cpu speed isn't that important any more as nvidia and ati both have integrated hardware decoding

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I understand you are relatively new to MP's forum, but please keep it decent. If you do feel the need to adjust your tone, make sure you read the post. We are talking here about a Intell media chip which does not have a Universal video decoder. From experience with this chip in severall notebooks I know the extra RAM can make the difference. That and it doesn't cost much. Hope this answers your question:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom