Re-installed a thousand times - constant lockups and other problems (1 Viewer)

Es Watson

Portal Member
July 24, 2014
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hey mm,

I was just going through the instructions for the crash dump but as I recently uninstalled MP (cuz of the constant recording), I needed to reinstall it. Sounds easy enough but I keep getting the dreaded "not responding" failure when it attempts to install mySQL. Now I can't even install MP!
I tried to install mySQL from their website but got stuck on adding the username and password, I now believe its root and mediaportal respectively as I saw them while once again attempting to install MP.

I sneakily decided to try to install XBMC again or the alpha version of what they are calling it now, Yodi or something similar. I decided to use nextPVR as my backend but for the life of me I can't get the channels to scan at all. Uninstalled both of them as it was giving me the shits and I don't think I'll get anywhere with that. Oh, and I like MP better.

I'll keep trying to install MP and but as I have written this entire post I am still installing the Direct X redist2010 (approx 10mins), I don't remember it taking that long before, anywho, patience is a virtue. That's bullshite if you ask me!

Any suggestions with the MP installer not working? I have used the uninstall option that completely clears all traces of MP, mods etc so I don't understand how a fresh install could be playing up.

FYI, my system and all things win 8.1 runs fine. Solid as a rock, so I think hardware is not to blame, maybe drivers?

Thanks

Edit: Just got asked to download windows media player 11 and then select it to be installed. OMG. Went to the windows www page and it rightfully states that Windows Media Player is already available with Win 8.1. Yes, I know its installed... I download WMP 11 just so I could install it and move on but again, it states that a newer version is already install and I can't install it. End of installation attemp 489!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Sounds easy enough but I keep getting the dreaded "not responding" failure when it attempts to install mySQL.
    AFAIK you can't install the same version of MySQL twice on the same PC, so did you actually uninstall MySQL to make it possible to reinstall?
    No, uninstalling MP will not uninstall MySQL - you have to do it separately.

I tried to install mySQL from their website but got stuck on adding the username and password, I now believe its root and mediaportal respectively as I saw them while once again attempting to install MP.
    When you say "got stuck" do you mean in the MySQL installer or the MP installer?
    In the MySQL installer you can choose whatever password you like for the root user. Then you just have to use that same password when you install MP.
    ...but you're right. If MySQL is installed by MP's installer, the root user password is MediaPortal (case sensitive).

I'll keep trying to install MP and but as I have written this entire post I am still installing the Direct X redist2010 (approx 10mins), I don't remember it taking that long before, anywho, patience is a virtue. That's bullshite if you ask me!
    That is too long. I've never seen MP take that long to install completely, let alone DX by itself. Can't explain it. I can't help but think something about your PC is very... not right.

Any suggestions with the MP installer not working? I have used the uninstall option that completely clears all traces of MP, mods etc so I don't understand how a fresh install could be playing up.
    As above: you can do the complete uninstall but that will not remove MySQL. That's to avoid people blaming for us removing their MySQL database which they happen to use for stuff other than MP.

FYI, my system and all things win 8.1 runs fine. Solid as a rock, so I think hardware is not to blame, maybe drivers?
    Okay, if you say so I believe you... but something is clearly not right if DX is taking 20 minutes to install, on top of the problems previously reported. To be clear all I'm saying is something is not right. Without being there it is really hard to say what that something is. Hardware was just a possibility. Cross it off the list for now, but something has to be the cause of all this.

Just got asked to download windows media player 11 and then select it to be installed. OMG. Went to the windows www page and it rightfully states that Windows Media Player is already available with Win 8.1. Yes, I know its installed... I download WMP 11 just so I could install it and move on but again, it states that a newer version is already install and I can't install it. End of installation attemp 489!
    Has this been asked for previously, and if not why has it started asking for this now?
    In general it seems like trying to reinstall has just made things worse... and I was and still am convinced it wouldn't help in the first place.

<sigh>

When you next try to install please ensure you run the installer with admin privileges. Try to record exactly what you select at each stage. If you get stuck at any point please stop and do not attempt uninstalls, reinstalls or any other stuff. Tell me where you're stuck and why and I can try to help from there. Otherwise I feel like we'll end up going around in circles wasting a lot of time (if that isn't already happening!).

Es Watson

Portal Member
    July 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello again

That is too long. I've never seen MP take that long to install completely, let alone DX by itself. Can't explain it. I can't help but think something about your PC is very... not right.

Haha, I figured out why it was taking so long. As it was downloading DX I was also downloading a handful of torrents and maxing my NBN connection out. I didn't even realise uTorrent was on! My bad.

Just got asked to download windows media player 11 and then select it to be installed. OMG. Went to the windows www page and it rightfully states that Windows Media Player is already available with Win 8.1. Yes, I know its installed... I download WMP 11 just so I could install it and move on but again, it states that a newer version is already install and I can't install it. End of installation attemp 489!
    Has this been asked for previously, and if not why has it started asking for this now?

When you next try to install please ensure you run the installer with admin privileges. Try to record exactly what you select at each stage. If you get stuck at any point please stop and do not attempt uninstalls, reinstalls or any other stuff. Tell me where you're stuck and why and I can try to help from there. Otherwise I feel like we'll end up going around in circles wasting a lot of time (if that isn't already happening!).

Ok, it was asking to install SQL and WMP11 when I was installing MP through the custom install option e.g. choosing what I wanted installed so I wouldn't lock up the installer. Figure out that downloading SQL works fine, but installing it is when it became "not responding".

I will install MP again, step by step. But I'll do it tomorrow as I need sleep, thanks again for your patience and I hope we can get this sorted by year end.

:-P

Es Watson

Portal Member
    July 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply to my ongoing problem but my delay may be a good thing. Do you think jumping straight in and installing 1.9 pre is a good idea?

Es Watson

Portal Member
    July 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK,

Can't install MP at all now. Not responding half way through the install.

My computer doesn't want MP installed, I have lost patience and from the lack of replies to my above message nearly a week ago, I think we can just close this thread and put it in the "too hard basket". Sorry to go but I can't fix this on my own.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and from the lack of replies to my above message nearly a week ago
    Considering you've said almost nothing about what you use MP for and how tolerant you are to the issues that can sometimes be experienced with pre-releases, nobody could possibly anticipate if and how much any known issues with the pre-release might impact you. In short, nobody can give an informed response to you.

Can't install MP at all now. Not responding half way through the install.
    My computer doesn't want MP installed, I have lost patience and ... I think we can just close this thread and put it in the "too hard basket". Sorry to go but I can't fix this on my own.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. Quite frankly I also can't help you fix this due to the lack of detail. I have no idea where you're stuck, and therefore no idea what the problem is and no show of helping. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom