Record 2 shows on 1 tuner? (1 Viewer)

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
September 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I set up my tuner and epg. I can see live tv and record just fine. However I can't record more then 1 show from the same trasponder. Both channels are on the same transponder .
From the WIki:
The TV-Server supports watching and recording TV at the same time with only one DVB/ATSC TV Card, on the same transponder

I go to the TV Guide and record channel 58.1, I then select 58.2 and select record. The guide hightlights both shows red as if they're both being recorded. But if I go to the Active Recordings section it only shows 58.1 being recorded.

I confirm only 58.1 was the only channel recorded after the recordings finish by going to the Recorded TV section. Am I missing something. Are there additional setup steps I missed?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not sure how ATSC tuning works, but yes anything that is transmitted digitally on the same transponder\mux should be able to be recorded and the only limitation is the flow of information to the hard drive.

This is one for our resident tv guru @mm1352000

What he will ask for is logs, so ideally use the debug-mode from your start menu, setup 2 recordings and upload the created log files here, after the dual recording have failed, so we can see what is going on.

See my signature for more information about providing logs

Thanks

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    on a system with 1 ATSC tuner, I tried recording 2 shows that share the same RF channel at the same time and only 1 of the 2 shows is recorded. Attached file is the end of my tv.log file that shows the end of 1 recording at 1:30 pm local, a new recording starting on Phys= 50, chan.sub = 54.1. The tv server then loops trying to start the next recording on Phys = 50, chan.sub = 54.2 with the following error messages.

2012-09-04 13:30:05.220000 [scheduler thread(22)]: Controller: found 1 card(s) for channel
    2012-09-04 13:30:05.221000 [scheduler thread(22)]: AdvancedCardAllocation.GetAvailableCardsForChannel took 15 msec
    2012-09-04 13:30:05.222000 [scheduler thread(22)]: Controller: card:2 type:Atsc is not available, tuned to different transponder
    2012-09-04 13:30:05.223000 [scheduler thread(22)]: Controller: found 0 free card(s)

Attachments

• tv_log_record2.txt
      26.2 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    mm,

With MePo v1.2.3 I tried the dll patch from your link and did some testing using OTA ATSC. This works correctly when I try to record 2 programs that are on the same Phy channels. Started recording a 30 minute program on 9.1 (phys=30) then started a 60 minute program on 9.2 (30). When the 30 minute recording ended it did not interrupt the 60 minute recording. Recorded 2 programs on 1 Phy channel 9.2, 9.3 (30) that ended on an hour and scheduled recording 2 programs that use different Phy channel 7.1, 7.2 (phys=7) to start at the beginning of the next hour. This worked correctly.

Now all I need to do is figure out why EPG Collector stopped working on some ATSC sub-channels. It grabs OTA EPG correctly on most Physical channels and ATSC sub-channels but stopped on a couple. EPG Collector was working correctly on all ATSC sub-channels a few weeks ago.

no problems with EPG Collector grabbing OTA EPG data from the local channels, somehow the xmltv mappings for 3 channels were lost (maxwell's demon?), no idea how, the OTA channel names match what I had originally setup.

Last edited:

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the patch. It worked perfectly for me.

One thing i'm wondering about is, what happens when recording back to back shows on the same channel?
    And I mean the same channel not sub channel. Will it use only 1 tuner or is this not possible?
    My wife frequently has shows go over the hour by around 5 minutes. So she has to set Post Record to 5 minutes.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the patch. It worked perfectly for me.
    No problem. :)

One thing i'm wondering about is, what happens when recording back to back shows on the same channel?
    And I mean the same channel not sub channel. Will it use only 1 tuner or is this not possible?
    One tuner should be used.
    It is possible to record any number of sub channels with one tuner (within the constraints of HDD speed) as long as the sub channels are all carried on the same [physical] channel.

My wife frequently has shows go over the hour by around 5 minutes. So she has to set Post Record to 5 minutes.
    Shouldn't be a problem subject to the comments above.
    As an example, say your wife wants to record show A on channel X from 7pm 'til 8pm (5 min pre + post recording) and show B on channel Y from 8pm 'til 8:30pm (also 5 min pre + post recording). That should be possible with one tuner if channels X and Y are carried on the same physical channel.

In addition to recording A and B, it is also possible to record show C on channel X from 8pm to 8:30pm (ie. back-to-back on the same subchannel) with pre and post recording and still only one tuner.

What happens if you have only one tuner and back-to-back recordings on subchannels that are carried on different physical channels?
    TV Server will finish recording the show on the first channel, including post-recording. Once the tuner is available, it will immediately attempt to start recording the show on the other channel. So you would miss the pre record + the length of the post record from the first show at the start of the recording of the second show.

Make sense?
    mm

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Perfectly understood.

I really miss genre coloring from WMC. So i'm thinking of trying out the Alpha version of MP. Is this fix already included?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom