Recorded TV freezes when fast forwarding. Requires forced shutdown (1 Viewer)

beersandwich

February 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all.

New to the forum and have been playing with my new setup for the past few months after ditching pay tv.

So recorded Tv freezes, sometimes upon pushing the fast forward button and often when pressing the play button to resume from fast forward. Once frozen a forced restart of mepo via the task manager is required as it becomes unresponsive. I have waited up to 20 mins for mepo to come good with no result

I have also noticed picture breakup pixelation tearing etc during FFWD. This occurs up until 8x FFWD at which point the picture freezes until play is resumed. FFWD often continues at this point and can only be monitored via the progress counter, however sometimes mepo stalls all together here as well.

I have posted the logs from the last couple of days. Also had problems with freezing and slow channel changes though this seems to have been solved by changing the network provider to DVB-t in the TV server config. I must say that initially I hadn't had any problems with the network provider set as generic.

I have also tried playing the same recorded tv files under Lav DXVA2 native rather than cuvid, still with freezing. Haven't tried recording TV to another drive as yet as I was hoping the logs may provide an answer.

Thanks in advance

b

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How well FFWD/RWND works is very system (hardware/codec) dependant even on a good day....quite often the hardware can't keep up with playing a stream 4x/8x faster than normal....

A few recommendations:

1. Don't use MP Audio Renderer for TV (use Default DirectShow audio renderer instead)
    2. Use DXVA2 native in LAV video decoder instead of CUVID - it uses the same nVidia hardware decoder as used for CUVID, but normally has lower CPU/GPU load.
    3. Unless you really need FFWD for some reason, using skip steps in MP is almost always faster than FFWD/RWND to get to where you want (left/right arrow keys).

If this is mostly SD MPEG-2 TV (it is in the logs I've looked at), then you could try setting up LAV video decoder to use software decoding for MPEG-2 (untick the 'MPEG-2' box in the 'Hardware Acceleration' section) - it *might* help with FFWD.

beersandwich

February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the reply,

I made the changes you suggested aside from software decoding and have certainly seen an improvement in the fluidity of FFWD though without thorough testing I have seen one more instance of freezing. Definitely an improvement though.

I also discovered comskip. Needless to say all is well now.

Do you think my GPU (GT520) is causing a bottleneck in this instance with a 64 bit pipe and would i expect to see much difference with a 128 bit card or would I have better luck with alternative combinations of GPU drivers, codecs etc. I have noticed some people opting for older tesla drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom