Recorded TV lists shows/files deleted outside of MP (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, recordings are no longer deleted from the database automatically on entering the recorded TV section to workaround the issue you linked above... but you can still delete invalid recordings manually using the "clean up" button.
    May I make one more comment about this?

Any developer who removes from a new release a useful facility available in the preceding release is (in my view) asking for a tongue-lashing. And that is precisely the feeling that most of the comments in this thread express.

The only situation when I would remove an existing facility is if retention of it had a seriously deleterious impact on the new release (e.g. doubling path length in a performance-critical part of the product). I hardly think that that is the case here.

The correct solution is to be upwardly compatible. That means not only having a button that says something like "Synchronise now" (to synchronise the database with the files in the libraries), but a setting that allows the user to choose between "Automatic Synchronisation" and "Manual Synchronisation".

And you need to set the default compatibly too. For a completely new installation (deleting all traces of previous installations), the default can be "Manual Synchronisation". But for an update installation (one that retains settings), the value set for this new option needs to be "Automatic Synchronisation".

I recollect reading in another thread that there was a reluctance to introduce new configuration settings, for fear of making MP too complex to set up. I am not persuaded by that argument, especially where upward compatibility is concerned. The real trick is to define sensible defaults for settings, so that most people do not need to set most settings.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mrkk

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    So this Clean-Up button... the WiKi says: "Cleanup: Lets you quickly remove all recorded files." which seems to delete .ts files, not a clean up of the database where entries exist when the files have already been deleted. Can you elaborate as I'd NEVER press Clean-Up based on the description!

Is this really the case!?!?

Not exactly the function we were talking here...

Now we just need a button "Check-for-file-existence"-button on UI. Cause I don't want rdp on my server for tv-server config....

Hope some developer sees this thread....

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any developer who removes from a new release a useful facility available in the preceding release is (in my view) asking for a tongue-lashing. And that is precisely the feeling that most of the comments in this thread express.
    Hmm, that's a very strong statement. My impression is that the comments here have been very understanding and reasonable until now.

The only situation when I would remove an existing facility is if retention of it had a seriously deleterious impact on the new release (e.g. doubling path length in a performance-critical part of the product). I hardly think that that is the case here.

The correct solution is to be upwardly compatible...
    I would agree that it would be ideal to be upwardly compatible and set sensible defaults etc. etc. etc., but things aren't always so "cut and dried". In this case you've failed to consider that TVE (which includes the TV plugin) is under code freeze. Some compromise had to be accepted in order to workaround a serious issue. We included the simplest possible solution. Yes, it resulted in a small loss of functionality, but ultimately we thought this compromise is better than to have said "tough, you just have to re-import your recordings every day" to all the people that use NAS.

Thanks for your understanding.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Last edited:

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Wiki doesn't shed light on ANY of the sub-options you get... after looking further into the menu I see that option. Knowing what "Clean-Up" can do will go a long way toward resolving this issue -- I don't recall it being identified in the release notes/problem fixes that I always read to "understand" what I should be looking for in a roll-out.

Thanks MM... you're da bomb!

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tend to delete files from HDDs in bulk (i.e. a series I no longer want). This has never been an issue for the MP database in previous releases but recently I've found thar after deleting a .ts and .xml 'pair' from a HDD I can go into Recorded TV and oddly enough it's still listed! Selecting it (to play) yeilds a pop-up indicating the file isn't there, playable (I don't recall the exact message). In previous releases this would not occur as (I can only speculate that) the database would confirm the files' existance during some point either as, or before 'Recorded TV' was selected. (e.g. when a file (TV show) shows up in the Recorded TV it is actually on the HDD and could be played.)

Did you change this to increase speed? Is this a bug? Can you include a user option to run import or something similar to resolve this?

Thanks
    Ahhhhh so I wasnt going crazy .... and its not just me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom