Recording Recurring Programs (1 Viewer)

Rau

June 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Just trying to understand functionality of the product..... Regarding the following recording option:

Record every time on this channel: Records all programs on this channel where the title matches the selected item. Useful for recording a series that is on multiple days (e.g. it may be shown Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

1) If I want to record a program typically showing each (say) Monday at 9:30pm, but the actual start time is highly variable - is the above the appropriate recording choice?

2) I assume the system chooses the actual 'start recording' time based on the information in the EPG, adjusted by configuration options governing how 'early' to start each recording?

3) Is the product able to access an EPG applicable to a major capital city in Australia?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

1) If I want to record a program typically showing each (say) Monday at 9:30pm, but the actual start time is highly variable - is the above the appropriate recording choice?
    I would have thought the Weekly on this channel option might suit better... but this is really a personal preference/opinion. In other words: do what works best for your needs.

2) I assume the system chooses the actual 'start recording' time based on the information in the EPG, adjusted by configuration options governing how 'early' to start each recording?
    The wiki explains exactly what each option does:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rd_TV/1_Scheduling_Recordings#Advanced_Record

3) Is the product able to access an EPG applicable to a major capital city in Australia?
    Sounds like you're coming from WMC?
    MP doesn't have an EPG service. As an open source organisation that relies on donations, we can't afford to pay the licensing costs for the data.
    In other words, you need to acquire EPG for yourself somehow.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it will be hard.
    TV Server is able to grab EPG that is included with the broadcast. This may be suitable for you, I don't know. Probably only an Australian could tell you that.
    Alternatively, you can use the XMLTV or WebEPG plugins to pull in data from a 3rd party (maybe IceTV, mc2xml etc.) or the internet.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

Regards,
    mm

Rau

June 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I would have thought the Weekly on this channel option might suit better... but this is really a personal preference/opinion. In other words: do what works best for your needs.

Thanks. I understood that option will "fix" the recording time to be that initially selected - rather than to adapt to a shifting start time (not that unusual).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I understood that option will "fix" the recording time to be that initially selected - rather than to adapt to a shifting start time (not that unusual).
    Which option are you talking about now?
    Neither of the options that we've mentioned - record every time on this channel, or weekly on this channel - fix the time.

As the wiki says:
    Record every time on this channel: Records all programs on this channel where the title matches the selected item. Useful for recording a series that is on multiple days (e.g. it may be shown Monday, Wednesday and Friday).
    In other words, this should record every showing (ie. including repeats) on any day of the week at any time. As long as the program is always on the same channel and has the same title, TV Server would record it.

Weekly on this channel: Records all programs on the current channel and day where the title matches. Start time is not considered.
    In other words, this should record one showing on a particular day of the week at any time. As long as the program is always on the same channel and has the same title and runs on the same day of the week, TV Server would record the first showing.

Rau

June 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, yup. Sorry, I was reading the Wiki, must be goin' blind.

Looks better than WMC in flexibility here.....

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Weekly on this channel: Records all programs on the current channel and day where the title matches. Start time is not considered.
    In other words, this should record one showing on a particular day of the week at any time. As long as the program is always on the same channel and has the same title and runs on the same day of the week, TV Server would record the first showing.
    Actually, it records all showings on the specified day of the week. :D

In many cases this is not a problem, because the repeat is later in the week. But there is one radio programme that I record ("Inside Science") that is first broadcast at 16:30, and repeated on the same day at 21:30. Using "weekly on this channel" results in both broadcasts being scheduled to record, and each week I have to deselect the 21:30 recording. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom