recording tv just stopped :( HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi mm

Your comment about there possibly being a link with user login made me think...

Before I updated to Win8.1 I was running the system under a local user name. In order to update to 8.1 I had to convert this login to a Microsoft account Login to access the App Store.

I did this, but since I use auto login with my windows system, I didn't want my Microsoft App Store username to be present in my registry, so after the update (which seemed to delete my old local login) I created a new local login.

Could this be linked at all?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Before I updated to Win8.1 I was running the system under a local user name.
    You mean, the TV service was running under a local user name, or your own account was?

I did this, but since I use auto login with my windows system, I didn't want my Microsoft App Store username to be present in my registry, so after the update (which seemed to delete my old local login) I created a new local login.

Could this be linked at all?
    Sorry, I have no idea. Just trying to gather all the information in one place... :)
    Who is the TV service set to run as?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Sorry for the slow reply, I am away at the moment.

• I installed MP on win 8 (username Robbo1).
    • To install Win 8.1 I had to get an app store login, so I converted robbo1 username into a microsoft account username (which changed my username to an email address rather than robbo1).
    • I didn't want my email address and the associated password stored together in my registry for security reasons (which happens when you use AutoLogin), so I created a new local username on the PC called Robbo1 again (but this seems to be a completely fresh login account on the PC and not the original one). I do not login to this PC anymore using my microsoft account username.
    • The tv service is set to run under Robbo1 I suppose, since there are no other accounts and this is the administrator account (I presume)?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The tv service is set to run under Robbo1 I suppose, since there are no other accounts and this is the administrator account (I presume)?
    It would be unusual if the TV service were running on the Robbo1 account. Unless configured to do otherwise, most services run under special system accounts. The TV service is no different.

Rather than guessing, please could you check.
    1. Press [Windows] + R.
    2. Type "services.msc" and press enter.
    3. Find the TVService, right click, select properties.
    4. Grab a screenshot of each tab.
    5. Post the screenshots here.

Thanks. :)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Just to update on progress.

I ended up reinstalling Windows 8 today (upgrading it to 8.1 before installing MP). At the same time I reverted from my TBS card to my now repaired BGT 3600.

All is now good in the robbo100 household with the recordings.

Thanks to mm for all the help you gave me trying to track down the cause of this problem.

Cheers

Robbo100.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ***BUMP***
    15 downloads on this patch:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/recording-tv-just-stopped-help.122676/page-3#post-1040547

...but only robbo100 has provided feedback? :(
    Please - anybody experiencing this problem: could you please install the patch (if you haven't already) and provide logs and feedback. Otherwise there is no chance this problem will be solved.

@Developers
    Please could you have a read through this thread. I'm somewhat stumped. The scheduler thread appears to be deadlocking but I don't understand why. Is it possible that W8/8.1 behaviour with respect to threads or services may have changed somehow? We need new log files to see if the locking is consistently occurring in the same place.

lewiskingy

Portal Member
    November 4, 2013
    Edinburgh, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Debugging TVService.exe installed. Trying a few recordings. Interested to note the comment above. Found two channels with similar channel ID (case difference only).

If issue repeats, will submit logs and then try to tidy up this pair of duplicates.

<channel id="e4-E4">
    <channel id="E4-E4">

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Just read it - and the problem looks like it might be exposed if you try:

Code:
    try
    {
        foreach (VirtualCard vCard in vCards)
        {
          Log.Write("debug: card {0}", vCard.Name);
          int schedId = vCard.RecordingScheduleId;
          Log.Write("debug: schedule {0}", schedId);
          if (schedId > 0)
          {
            Log.Write("debug: get schedule");
            Schedule sc = Schedule.Retrieve(schedId);
            Log.Write("debug: got schedule");
            if (sc == null)
            {
              //seems like the schedule has disappeared  stop the recording also.
              Log.Debug("Scheduler: Orphaned Recording found {0} - removing", schedId);
              StopRecordingSchedule(schedId);
            }
            Log.Write("debug: done stop");
          }
          Log.Write("debug: done check");
        }
      catch (Exception ex)
      {
        Log.Write (ex.ToString())
      }

I think it may be that vCards is null (which will throw an exception), and this must be causing a problem somewhere else. The other option is that vCards is late binding linq, which will only blow up when it's evaluated (as in the foreach loop), and might be unmanaged code under the hood (if you are really unlucky).

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom